JennyMo

Willy's ultra-STUMPkin - the STUMPkamper!

Hopefully the results speak for themselves!

P1030008_zpsfzbojd65.jpeg

Roof-light wires enter cab underneath the lamp mounting bar for neatness...

P1030010_zps4ujjsmyw.jpeg

Scale bungee cords hold roof load securely while running!

P1030017_zps5ohzlajh.jpeg

Coat-hanger roof rails perfect location for the bungee hooks!

P1030018_zpshxoq2jgx.jpeg

(yep, that's a nod to Grastens' comment on page 1 of this thread ;o)

The six forward facing 18mm lights are BRIGHT!

P1030013_zpsripuakie.jpeg

Stickers were weathered by light sanding with 1200 grit wet&dry paper - the texture beneath helping to add to the randomness of the distressed look...

P1030048_zps8zebzwpa.jpeg

I was really pleased with the custom-made mesh grille inserts, and suitable FORD badge! The red winch hook adds a subtle splash of colour detail too...

P1030050_zpszey68n8j.jpeg

Overall...

P1030042_zpsomirupol.jpeg

Driver's side window wound partially down:

P1030039_zpse7op97m3.jpeg

Door graphics also suitably distressed by lightly sanding with fine (1200 grit) wet & dry paper:

P1030038_zpsibb0udyq.jpeg

My favourite view of this truck! The sand ladders are held on with shortened body-posts and R clips.

P1030032_zpscqgjc6ww.jpeg

Willy is certainly very happy with his latest ride!

P1030031_zpsx4osal7m.jpeg

Now all I need to do is decide on a suitable driver... I have a plan ;o)

Toot toot for now!

Jx

ps. Willy says: "Yes, I know the wheels aren't weathered yet!!!"

• Like 8

Jenny, best Aeromax on TC. I think it's the best anything on any RC forum for that mater.

• Like 1

A very interesting build with realistic weathering and great improvisation :) I look forward to seeing your no doubt very original driver in the finished STUMPkamper !

• Like 1

Love it, the lights really make a big difference.

But the really impressive thing about this is the way it all just fits together - visually it really works well. Nothing looks improvised, it looks like it's been designed from the ground up.

• Like 1

P1030018_zpshxoq2jgx.jpeg

(yep, that's a nod to Grastens' comment on page 1 of this thread ;o)

And I will say it again - good gravy, that truck is excellent! I get the feeling that if that is an oil drum on top, that is more gravy-like :P I had to smile regardless when I saw the randomness of that decal, and even more so when I learned why!

Jenny, your rusting techniques would make a Kumamon Tractor look scale! I would say this truck is your most impressive project yet, but then you have a lot of superb ones :) This is definitely a favourite of mine, for sure!

• Like 1

Awesome looking, every bit of it. I was looking for meatballs when spaghetti was mentioned though. :D I don't think Willy will let the wheels remain unweathered long, don't forget that spare hanging out back either. This truck looks so much fun to drive and to know it has such a substantial chassis underneath means it won't just give up after a single battery is run through it.

I too can't wait to see the driver you have in mind for this Dakar beast.

• Like 1

And I will say it again - good gravy, that truck is excellent! I get the feeling that if that is an oil drum on top, that is more gravy-like :P I had to smile regardless when I saw the randomness of that decal, and even more so when I learned why!

Jenny, your rusting techniques would make a Kumamon Tractor look scale! I would say this truck is your most impressive project yet, but then you have a lot of superb ones :) This is definitely a favourite of mine, for sure!

Hee hee - I like that idea - perhaps I should get a Bisto sticker made up for the oil drum then ;o)

Thank you for your kind words - and that goes for everyone here - and I have to agree with you that this project really does incorporate everything I have tried to achieve in the past - from weathering to scale details, custom fabrications and modified original parts, together with a suitable back-story and not least remaining fully working and fun to drive!

It is going to be tricky to top it for a while I feel... although I do have a couple of other projects to get on with - the dormant SRB Cage-Racer, plus rebody-ing my Crawler - and I've already had another idea for an addition to the STUMP family ;o)

In the meantime, I'm going to finish the driver for this one, and then try and get some good photos of the STUMP-Trio in action!

More soon,

Jx

Awesome looking, every bit of it. I was looking for meatballs when spaghetti was mentioned though. :D I don't think Willy will let the wheels remain unweathered long, don't forget that spare hanging out back either. This truck looks so much fun to drive and to know it has such a substantial chassis underneath means it won't just give up after a single battery is run through it.

I too can't wait to see the driver you have in mind for this Dakar beast.

Thanks Crash'!

I'll try and get those wheels sorted as soon as I've painted the driver - and as for the spare wheel cover, my original plan for the rear panel (before I added the spare wheel) was to have a scenic picture graphic on it in the same was as the Cruise America rental RVs have:

Cruise-America-pb-110527-memday-travel-0

...and I think this idea could still work on just the wheel cover? - in conjunction with their logo, adding to the irony ;o)

1.%20ca_logo_zpsdcya66if.jpg

Alternatively I might just utilise the logo banner across the spare wheel, together with a few scale visitor/tourist stickers from the places he's visited perhaps... ;o)

Jx

That isn't a bad idea, perhaps the scene could still be painted and then semicovered by the spare, but you could always just mock up your own spare tire cover like Erich aka Mongoose did on his Jeep out of some scrap leatherette, then the logo could be applied to that, but perhaps it could read something like Willy's Magical Mystery Tour, or the like. :lol:

Thanks Crash'!

I'll try and get those wheels sorted as soon as I've painted the driver - and as for the spare wheel cover, my original plan for the rear panel (before I added the spare wheel) was to have a scenic picture graphic on it in the same was as the Cruise America rental RVs have:

Cruise-America-pb-110527-memday-travel-0

...and I think this idea could still work on just the wheel cover? - in conjunction with their logo, adding to the irony ;o)

1.%20ca_logo_zpsdcya66if.jpg

Alternatively I might just utilise the logo banner across the spare wheel, together with a few scale visitor/tourist stickers from the places he's visited perhaps... ;o)

Jx

You do realise that your now going to have to do an RV build based on cousin Eddies RV from National Lampoons Vacation ;):lol:

Awesome build though, brilliant in every way :)

James

:)

• Like 1

I've just stumbled across this thread and I am amazed!! this is an incredible build and you have some crazy skills! Great job!! :D

Awesome. Ever since I saw the driver on "Manhattan Project" in the Brat, I have wanted to do this.

So a few final details of Racer Willy...

It's not a new concept of course, but I hope my take on an animated driver helps to keep the comedy element of this build high - it certainly makes me chuckle every time I see it!

Fortunately I already has a small (micro) servo in my spares, as I'd bought it originally to steer the SRB Cage Racer, but had second thoughts... cutting one of the mounting tabs off meant it pretty much fitted perfectly in the back of a standard Wild Willy body:

P1030117_zpspico08yf.jpeg

I enlarged the M3 hole in the neck to 5mm, just to make sure there wouldn't be any binding:

P1030116_zpsxbcu03is.jpeg

The threaded rod is actually a long screw I cut down - ultimately it was superglued into the bottom half of a servo-saver (which I'd also trimmed down) attached to the spline - nice and secure.

Rather than create a whole new head, I elected to use my custom 'Moto-Willy' head that I'd created by grafting on one of Toykid's peaks to a regular Willy helmet. This was tidied up from the original version by recessing the edges of the peak into the helmet slightly. I also filled in the vents I'd cut in the chin-piece, as I was never 100% happy with those.

P1030124_zpsgcykeoz2.jpeg

A few suitable placed sponsor stickers, and it was time to get him behind the wheel:

P1030174_zpsoxetw8ce.jpeg

I really wanted to try and keep the driver attached to the chassis if possible - that way I wouldn't have to disconnect him if I removed the body to change the battery etc. and in offering him up, fortunately there was enough clearance in the cab for the full body (including his boots).

He was mounted using a short threaded aluminium rod - I don't like drilling into chassis if I can help it, but this really was the perfect position:

P1030128_zpsbh8xcz4l.jpeg

And with the steering wheel (and a length of column) glued in place, the result was just as I'd imagined - although ultimately he needed squaring up the chassis slightly (as he was effectively leaning against the door a little) - using a long zip tie around the base of the support rod and the opposite chassis rail.

Once connected to the steering servo with a Y lead, his head now turns to the left and right in conjunction with the steering - it continues to amuse me every time I see it!

Look left:

P1030159_zpsskchi6mf.jpeg

Look right:

P1030160_zps18lbrqoo.jpeg

The graphics on his suit are a mix of the genuine Wild Willy 2 logo (with the 2 part cut off), a Union Jack from a repro Monte Carlo Mini set, a selection of the Dakar stickers I'd used on the body, the 'Motorsport' on his peak is an off-cut from the FORD badge on the front of the truck, while the Corbeau logos on his seat belt pads are from the Axial seat set - phew!

P1030169_zpsooqnvd8p.jpeg

cont.

• Like 3

cont.

And finally...

With the body refitted, what was immediately clear was how fortunate it was I'd already cut out the drivers window as if it were wound down - as when he looks left, the peak of the helmet actually pokes out of the window!

P1030181_zpsgemn3n9j.jpeg

I find this actually helps to emphasise the fact the head is turning, especially as the windows on the Aeromax shell are quite darkly tinted. I'd say this was planned of course, but you all know it was a total fluke ;o)

P1030205_zpsgxb9yabb.jpeg

P1030189_zpsbrysffn8.jpeg

So what does it look like all together?

This!

P1030177_zpskf37wr6x.jpeg

And a few more general views of the finished truck:

P1030202_zpscmprwme0.jpeg

P1030197_zpshaxhqrls.jpeg

P1030196_zpsgl5nu86i.jpeg

P1030194_zpsw3qwjc7a.jpeg

P1030191_zpspujbpnw5.jpeg

P1030204_zpscfwicxhn.jpeg

Having wheelied it around the kitchen floor over the past few days, it was finally time to take it outside and let it rip - especially as the weight of the rear body means it wheelies at the slightest provocation! - I think it was probably a good job the battery was a little low on power by now, as I think this thing is going to be unstoppable on a full charge!

It's huge fun, which is exactly what I wanted, and feel it really does exemplify everything I love about the Tamiya brand and RC models in general!

Toot toot for now!

Bwaaaaaaarrrp!

Jenny xx

• Like 7

The cherry on the top, that driver is quite a piece of work in itself, but then I can't say as we would ever think you would have done less. Very cool work on all of it and can't wait to see a video of it running as well as some weather on the tires and wheels. ALL 5 of them. ;)

• Like 1

Awesome! The truck looks perfect (except the too-clean wheels ;)) and the driver finishes it off beautifully. I've animated a couple of drivers - they definitely add a few chuckles!

Great work Jenny. As always, can't wait to see what you come up with next!

• Like 1

Hee hee - you know I just can't bring myself to rust up a perfectly good set of wheels ;o)

I will however endeavour to get as much genuine dirt on them as possible to appease you purists!

As for the spare wheel cover, I still want to get a custom Cruise America graphic printed and applied first...

It never really ends does it?!

Jx

"An awesome little man! In an awesome little truck! That looks left and right! BRILLIANT". As always fantastic work Jenny

• Like 1

OMG!!!!!!!!

What an absolute stunning creation, a totally awesome truck.

Great work.

Q. Have you and IBIFTKH ever considered a joint project? This could be raffled off to make some cash for charity, I'm sure a lot of TC members would be interested in purchasing ticket and donating any parts needed for the build.

Nump.T

• Like 1

OMG!!!!!!!!

What an absolute stunning creation, a totally awesome truck.

Great work.

Q. Have you and IBIFTKH ever considered a joint project? This could be raffled off to make some cash for charity, I'm sure a lot of TC members would be interested in purchasing ticket and donating any parts needed for the build.

Nump.T

Hee hee - thank you so much!

Funny you should suggest that about a charity build - I provided a driver for one such project (that is currently dormant I think) last year, but I have an idea for a project myself that would be rather costly to create without some kind of help/sponsorship from a model shop/supplier... (or at least some very generous people on here) - the idea being that while I would love to keep such a vehicle for myself, it would also be perfect to raffle off for charity.

I do pop into Radshape from time to time and was considering asking them if they'd help with something like that perhaps? - although I know when I was in the there last time and mentioned my plan to build a homage to Mater from a Lowride Pumpkin I got the feeling I'd pipped them to the post on that idea... and it would almost be showing off to take the end result in to show them I fear ;o)

But to throw it out there - if anyone does have some sway with a generous supplier, then what I'd like to do is revisit something that XVPilot suggested towards the bottom of page 1 of this thread, and I could see working with one and a half WR-02 chassis and a Bullhead body - that is a 6x4 truck cab that wheelies on it's middle set of wheels a la James Bond "Licence to Kill"... what say you?!

Jx

• Like 2

Pick a charity and see how it floats with others. I am happy to pay it forward and stump up cash in advance of tickets or whatever at the end.

wow, Jenny what a wonderful rig. Great job girl.

You've given me some ideas... :)

Cheers.

Yeah I remember that project, I supplied the chassis tub for it.