Grumpy pants

104BK ESC & Tamiya Sports Tuned Motor...

I've realised rather stupidly I've put this combo in my Sand Scorcher.

The ESC is 25T and the motor 23T......I don't want to waste either by mismatching them.

Will the motor burn out the ESC? Should I just swap the ESC?

Many thanks

G.P

It'll be fine as it is matey, modern Sport Tuned are actually 27T with advanced timing to replicate the old Sport Tuned which was 23T.

Have a read here about 2/3 down the page which explains the myth about some but not all modern Sport Tuned being 23T and why this is not the case:

http://www.blackholesun.fr/RC_TB-01_US.php

• Like 1

Hi mate

The 104 will be ok with the tamiya sports tuned motor.

I'm 99% sure I remember reading it when I read the instructions for my 104 ESC.

"Suitable for motors over 25T and the tamiya sports tuned"

http://www.tamiyausa.com/product/item.php?product-id=45041

Look in the specs section

I'm sure somebody will soon confirm this 100%

Cheers karl

• Like 1

Yes they do indeed say that matey, surely acknowledgement by Tamiya themselves that the Sport Tuned is only 27T?

• Like 1

Yes they do indeed say that matey, surely acknowledgement by Tamiya themselves that the Sport Tuned is only 27T?

This is great info, it looks like I can use the Sport Tuned with my 101ESC as well in my Holiday Buggy.

This is great info, it looks like I can use the Sport Tuned with my 101ESC as well in my Holiday Buggy.

You can indeed! :D

• Like 1

And a great combo at that too.

• Like 1

Both vintage and new Sport Tuned motors are 27 turns with advanced timing. They only differ in motor axle length, the vintage ones had longer axles. This is needed for mounting them in some vintage chassis types.

• Like 1

Thanks chaps, I've buttoned the Sand Scorcher back up now and today I ordered a 17T pinion for my Holiday Buggy as I have a spare Sport Tuned motor that can now go n it.

Thanks chaps, I've buttoned the Sand Scorcher back up now and today I ordered a 17T pinion for my Holiday Buggy as I have a spare Sport Tuned motor that can now go n it.

Hi mate

Did the sports tuned motor fit into your sand scorcher without any modification to where the motor bolts?

I was thinking off fitting one in my buggy champ for a bit more speed over the silver can.

Cheers karl

Hi mate

Did the sports tuned motor fit into your sand scorcher without any modification to where the motor bolts?

I was thinking off fitting one in my buggy champ for a bit more speed over the silver can.

Cheers karl

Hi Karl,

The Sports Tuned went in fine, I think the power lead tabs were a bit of a faff, but that could have been me!

I changed the pinion and main cog as well to give a few more beans.

All the best

Simon

Hi Simon

Yeah I'm sure I,ve read on here that only the silver can fits without mods to the housing!

I,ve not built mine yet but does the motor fit inside a clear case with holes for the wires?

Are the sports tuned wires in the same place as the silver can?

Cheers karl

Hi Karl,

Mines gone in without any dremmeling or sanding or anything other than a wiggle.

I am due to give it a run one evening this week....I let you know if it works!

imagejpg1-64.jpg

It's the vintage ones that have problems with modern motors, rere are a different casting.

• Like 1

It's the vintage ones that have problems with modern motors, rere are a different casting.

Cheers for that red zone.

Looks like I,ll be getting a sports tuned then if no mods are required. 👍

Cheers karl

• Like 1