Jamesssb

Tamiya new build willy's wheeler kit

Posted Image

Painted to match of course.

That red and grey one looks awesome! Especially from behind with the coil overs showing. What chassis is it?

What is that in the picture?

Now I was all for the sports look but that two tone red and grey street car looks great. How have Tamiya not re-re'd this classic yet?

It's a maintenance stand :)

Could also be used for display purposes!!

Oh I see. Maybe a good idea for later on.

I don't think tamiya will re re this kit. I'm told that it did not sell very well out of japan and hence there vary rare. Not that I know this to be true,

James.

They should do a proper road race version, i.e. look like the real car.

Great to see you cracking into this NIB.

The original Tamia scheme was based on the real life car. Here's a pic of a model of that car

Posted Image

I do agree though, I am a fan of the red, grey scheme Tamiya created for the re-re body.

Here's ABC's body for the M05 if you want something more scale.

Posted Image

Posted Image

• Like 2

Building a new in box Willy's wheeler is awesome!! Very seldom you see those being built. Looking forward to the build pics.. :-)

• Like 1

How about giving the rims a golden inner circle with a chrome ring ? Together with the body done box art this maybe give it a much better ( and closer ) finish to the real car.

Just my 2 cents of course ;)

I won't be doing it box art. I'm not a fan of the real cars design.

You will all have to wait and see 8-)

James.

• Like 1

Hi all,

So I managed to find time and start the build tonight,

I have to admit that I do have a deep feeling of regret doing this but it's better built than sitting in a box I think.

The instructions are all in Japanese and very vague so I'm mainly doing it by the pictures only.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

The first job is to build the steering and servo saver. It's nicely designed and I am really impressed with the metal ball joints it has. I Can't believe there in a kit off this age.

Posted Image

Posted Image

The plastic parts do seam to be a bit brittle, I am going to have to be very very careful running this as the front arms look old.

A shelf queen it may become.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Time to build the steering servo saver onto the chassis tub and assemble the front wishbones and knuckles.

Posted Image

Posted Image

It's coming along slowly.

I will update when I can.

James.

The shiniest! I personally think it is great that you are building an old kit - it really is an experience that cannot be found today, barring a few re-releases.

I too wonder if the plastic can be restored, or if it will remain brittle - I know that nylon can be freshened up with a quick dip in boiling water, but obviously there is a great risk with plastic! While the metal ball ends are a nice touch, there must be reasons they are not really found in today's kits, such as price, normal wear, and corrosion if one is not careful...

Either way, I am savouring these photos because those are the most intact and cleanest parts I have ever seen for a vintage wheelie chassis!

If you do run it, you do need care with the brittle plastics, but at least the front arms are chunky enough that breakages can be reinforced with small metal pieces inserted into the parts. I will do more or less the same thing when my car's front arm breaks again. However, give it respect and I think you will find the parts have plenty of life should you choose to run it ;)

Thanks Grastens,

I'm glad I have the chance to do it also. But all thanks must go to my friend john for the chance to do it and what a great gift it was.

The Willy M38 came with a spare sets of the frontarm sprue, non with the wheeler?

Loads of pictures please of every little bit of the build. :)

(saves me 1500$ for a NIB :D :D )

This is really cool! Can't say that I've ever seen a Wheeler build thread and the two-tone paint job looks like a fantastic option.

They are indeed very rare, so rare that earlier this year my $1 eBay auction for some old, worn and cracked tyres topped $60.....

On the manual, download this Willy's manual. Very close. Will help with the text.

http://www.iconicrc.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/tamiya-wild-willy-manual.pdf

And on the front arms, if you want some spares, I've got some for sale right now :D

Not brittle and basically brand new!

The Willy M38 came with a spare sets of the frontarm sprue, non with the wheeler?

Loads of pictures please of every little bit of the build. :) 

(saves me 1500$ for a NIB :D:D )

Yes it looks like there is a spare set in the kit!

Amazing!

Ok so I got some more done tonight to the front of the wheeler chassis.

I have managed to build the shock spring units and the steering linkage is all on.

Enjoy.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Does anyone know if this front part should be yellow or is it faded from white plastic?

It feels very fragile that's all, all most feels like I can snap it with 2 fingers 8-(

Posted Image

Front end done.

8-)

James.

Front body post is next.

I'm not sure if I will put the mechanical speed controller on this yet. Part off me wants to but I want to make this up to date as I can.

Posted Image

The spring is a great idea for saving the body if a roll over was to happen.

Posted Image

Posted Image

James

Next up is the gearbox and motor assembly.

It's very strange to find myself getting a heat gun and soldering iron out in a tamiya kit, the kits are now a days ready to go when the electronics are concerned. This is a great change 8-)

The motor has a heat shrank sleeve around it to protect it from dirt ingress.

3u7aby8a.jpga5e2ygaj.jpg6ape9upa.jpgapu7equg.jpg9a3u6aqa.jpgha6ysyja.jpgadanuhuv.jpgu6aby7uj.jpgqusyhezy.jpgy6ejynu4.jpg

Love it!

James.

• Like 3

Very high Drool factor :wub: , thanks for the great pictures. :)

• Like 1

1st of all thanks for shareing your build with us.

I must say the quality of the parts are much better than what Tamiya is currently offering. It seems back then company just want to make good quality product, now want to make profit is more important.

look fwd to the finish color scheme you decided on.