Jamesssb

Tamiya new build willy's wheeler kit

Thanks all.

I am thinking off snickering it up like a race car, may even airbrush a mugen stripe down the side also.

• Like 1

Wheels are all done. Just got to paint the wheel nuts.

zatyge7y.jpguzu4u4ud.jpg

Test with the body on. I think it looks great!

6y6u3usa.jpge7y7aheb.jpgre6u7ydy.jpg

James.

Re the previous discussion in this thread about making new axles with balls turned onto them:

It's possible to make a tool for turning balls on a non CNC lathe. I've got the plans for one in a model engineering magazine somewhere. It's basically a moveable tool holder that rotates about a point on the centre line from the headstock to the tailstock, and the tool can be screwed in and out to give different diameter balls. It replaces the normal tool holder. Would have made one for myself, but my lathe is too small to fit one on.

• Like 1

That is a smart-looking Wheeler there! Nice work - good luck with the finishing touches!

Re the previous discussion in this thread about making new axles with balls turned onto them:

It's possible to make a tool for turning balls on a non CNC lathe. I've got the plans for one in a model engineering magazine somewhere. It's basically a moveable tool holder that rotates about a point on the centre line from the headstock to the tailstock, and the tool can be screwed in and out to give different diameter balls. It replaces the normal tool holder. Would have made one for myself, but my lathe is too small to fit one on.

yep got that same problem that ball turning tool isnt so difficult, but it need some room to be stable enough.

@James, guess that rollbar wont stay white for long B)

I might be wrong, the pictures aren't perfect to tell, but it looks like your rear tyres are on the wrong way.

The tyres are a copy of Yokohama A008 (a very popular sports tyre from the 1980's)

The "dots" in the tread go to the outside. Hopefully either I'm wrong and the image is confusing, or, you haven't glued them yet and can swap them over :D

A008_Product_Picture.jpg

It's just the darkness off the photos.

I did not realise it was a scale tyre from advan, I'm not surprised though 8-)

Posted Image

• Like 1

Thanks for the warning though. Made me go look lol.

I have not glued them as I was thinking about putting foam inserts in.

I only knew as I acquired a set earlier this year (on a frog) and wanted to work out what they badword they were.

It's a pretty distinctive pattern, and I remember being a kid drooling over all sorts of Japanese street machines that had the real tyres fitted, they were a semi race tyre for the road at the time. You would see stuff like 1970's Mazda RX3's with 11in rims and 335 wide versions of these stuffed under the back guards!

• Like 1

The Advan HF is probably my favourite tire on a Tamiya - a close second is the Michelin TRX ;)

• Like 1

I Had a bit of a set back today,

I wet flatted the blue and started to Polish it and the gloss clear went all scratchy and horrid. So I had to respray the whole body again.

The good thing is that this time it's much more shinny.

Posted Image

James.

• Like 2

Has anyone got any idea where I can get some foam inserts from? I have been looking but can't see any for the tyres anywhere.

Has anyone done this?

Those tires never came with foam inserts from Tamiya. You would be best-off adapting some from another tire type or making your own.

Easy made out of some closed cell foam, just workout

thickness and grab an of cut from rubber supply shop.

Cut a strip the right width/length and glue ends. I

could workout what you if you like, I've got my wheeler

tyres apart at the very moment.

Re: the tyres, I have a set on my mini, top tyres :-)

I must admit, it's very refreshing to see such an old kit being built from new in box, especially when you're not going box on art on it. Paintwork looks great btw.

I have had some time today to do the fine painting on the body. All Matt black rubbers and skuttle panel are done, door handles and silver locks.

I have also gone in and painted all the black panel lines and gaps. I have also added 5mm LED lights in the headlights and brake lights also.

Enjoy.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

More to come over the next week.

Sorry if I have annoyed some people with non box art but I wanted to do it different.

I am going down the more Honda Mugen race look.

James.

• Like 6

I think you made the right decision because that looks stunning. Super job!

Realy that paint job looks horrible, U now what, I will send you my unpainted shell and you give me yours. :rolleyes:

;)

Lol, err no.

I would however paint a shell for you if you wanted. I would however charge to do it. It's a lot off work to do these to a good enough finish.

I am going to do some more to it this week as I have time off work. So will update.

Thanks for the kind words. This is first body I have shown to the public forum so a bit nervous lol

James.

Thanks steveU30.

I was thinking about doing a full interior but I don't think I will now. I'm worried it will make it more top heavy than it is already.