TWINSET

Super Champ re-release - Fighting Buggy

I was thinking the same thing...the hornet and the super champ didn't come out in the same year?....lol

• Like 1

So who at Tamiya does the maths? :lol:

84389_sticker.jpg

1982+30 :blink:

It is more of a placeholder for now until we have more product info. :D

It has been changed so there will be no math confusion until we get more official artwork. I don't want anyone losing any IQ points... :P

Edited by JAnderson

This is the one I've been waiting for, and will certainly go very close to finishing my (Tamiya) collection, super excited about this :rolleyes:

• Like 1

My guess is that the FRP plates will be the same design as the original, but in black like the re-re SRBs. I mean, it's a few posts and a servo mount.

According to a very credible source, it will be designed to accept the Tamiya 1100mAh LiFe battery, so I reckon the radio plate will be somewhat different and not quite like the original one for the 7.2V hump pack.

I doubt, however, that the metal steering links and balls ends will return, but I'm really hoping to be wrong on that. I would think they would be expensive to make.

Don't think so either, and considering that the re-re SRB front uprights have 2.6mm thread for the tie-rods versus the 2mm thread of the original uprights, the "Special Rod End" in its original design with 2mm hole wouldn't fit, and with 2.6mm hole, the movement of the ball would be very limited. Imho, it doesn't seem likely that Tamiya will make different uprights for the Fighting Buggy with 2mm holes like the original release uprights and combined with your arguments, the "Special Rod Ends" aren't likely to be included. We can still hope though!

Wouldn't be surprised if the cast potmetal servo mounts are replaced with current Tamiya type machined aluminum servo mounts or plastic servo mounts. Also, I don't think hardened steel UJ's will be included and expect the normal re-re SRB UJ's instead.

Still hope for the "Racing Master" servo saver, brass middle gear and hardened front suspension pins though! And I reckon the gearbox housing will have the specific "Super Champ" tweaks rather than the regular re-re SRB design. And the re-re SRB ball diff will possibly be re-released as an optional part for the Fighting Buggy?

According to a very credible source, it will be designed to accept the Tamiya 1100mAh LiFe battery, so I reckon the radio plate will be somewhat different and not quite like the original one for the 7.2V hump pack.

[snipped the rest]

Yes, let's continue to ignore the reality of LiPo and live in the world of LiFe. <_<

Although since 7.2V humpback packs don't exist any more except as special order items from custom battery shops, there isn't much else they can do. A regular 7.2V twin stick pack is too long to fit in the Super Champ. Maybe they've moved the front upper deck post or split it into two on either side like the back in order to fit a stick pack down the middle on top of the steering servo or something. Will be interesting to see.

Agreed about the rods and ends and servo mounts and UJs.

I think the servo saver might be back, but only if they kept the original location for the steering servo. If they moved the servo in order to make room for a 7.2V stick pack, then I think they will use an old design from another buggy.

I doubt the brass pinion will be back. Too expensive for little gain.

Same for the front suspension pins. Doubtful they will be the hardened green steel of the original. I have not heard of the re-re pins getting bent very much. Are they?

I'm excited for all of you who are excited for this buggy, but it does nothing for me. I just plain don't like these SRBs. ;-) Now where is my 959 Tamiya!!! Lol I do look forward to seeing what all who get this do with it. Please someone do a total non box art.

• Like 1

I'm excited for all of you who are excited for this buggy, but it does nothing for me. I just plain don't like these SRBs. ;-) Now where is my 959 Tamiya!!! Lol I do look forward to seeing what all who get this do with it. Please someone do a total non box art.

If you think about it, Tamiya has yet to re-re any kit that was not an off-road buggy or a truck.

The Porsche 934 was on a TA05 swb, so that doesn't count. Come on Tamiya.

Now I do love the SRBs and am happy to see this re-re. However I have to say, Kyosho set a new bar with the re-re Scorpion.

Tamiya should offer this super champs with a innovative trans that looks the same but has a slipper, diff and accepts BL motors. Also for the love of the all mighty, give us some hop up shocks that actually dampen! Lol

Phenomenal! The name makes it sound like a TT-02B or even a continuation of the Fighter series, but this is just awesome!

Looking forward to seeing the build threads - and perhaps cheap Super Champ parts, too...

Though SRB is not nostalgic for me, but I did get the re-re SS.

I might not get the re-re SC but I might get her rear suspension bits for the shock oil set up to try it on the SS

Honestly with the Scorp going at $219 USD, Tamiya needs to start pricing these re-re's competitively

• Like 1

Finally! reasonably priced bodies that are not patched up turkeys for my fully restored chassis and my 3/4 of a chassis project!

• Like 1

For the battery compartment, here are my thoughts: The Re-re Scorcher and Buggy Champ were advertised of being designed for use with LiFe battery packs. However, the radio box was still able to accept 7.2V Nickel hump packs.

My guess is that it will be a similar case with the Fighting Buggy, which then would be able to take both LiFe as well as hump packs. There might be some smaller 7.4V LiPos fitting as well, e.g. saddle pack style? I'm not sure since I'm used to stick pack NiMH and LiPo.

If you think about it, Tamiya has yet to re-re any kit that was not an off-road buggy or a truck. The Porsche 934 was on a TA05 swb, so that doesn't count.

They've re-used a few old 'car' bodies though, there's not much point re-releasing an old, heavy touring car chassis just to hold a body up.

• Like 1

True with touring cars, lots of nice looking reused bodies on new chassis types. :) And then there are the few group c chassis re-releases (NSX, Mercedes C9, etc.). On the other hand, the sheer amount of re-released chassis types is far larger for offroad vehicles against onroad vehicles.

• Like 1

$219.99 Scorpion; http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXEMUG&P=ML

$219.90 Scorpion; http://www.rcmart.com/kyosho-buggy-scorpion-p-56545.html?cPath=420_1189

In fairness though, the Tamiya 'versions' do seem better engineered/presented

Hard bodies and a more 'refined' design of rolling chassis and components

Might not make them a better runner, but probably costs more to make

The Super Champ's MSRP is lower than the Sand Scorcher's ($534 v $523), so with the SS at $309 @ Tower, it should make the SC sub $300 eventually?

I do have the high res and it does say Tony K. but there is something infront of Tony. as you can see.

It's gonna be 'Turbo' isn't it :wacko:

post-1185-0-06257700-1407402429_thumb.jp

• Like 1

What's the procedure for pre-ordering from Stella? I've used them loads just never pre-ordered.

Nothing is sacred

This is EXACTLY what I was thinking.

Don't get me wrong this is awesome news as I really, really dig the Champ. But somewhere deep inside me I was hoping this was gonna be the one they didn't do. The one that many lust for but remains elusive, continuing that special chase to acquire. That for me is part of the magic the hobby holds.

I'm without doubt on the list for two of these re re's, To go with my original NIB.

Little sad to see Al's name ain't on the side no more either. He will be forever the OG pilot and the one I'll always associate with the Super Champ. Stoked I've got a new spare original decal set here somewhere too. What'd be rad would be a Japanese drivers name for a bit of a switch up. Something like Takahashi Muramoto up the side would kick tail! I just think if ya gonna change it make it significant, and a touch from the homeland would be a fitting change and tribute.

I think that many don't quite grasp the stature of the Tamiya Company. They easily have the funding and the ability to recreate past cars and parts or to tweak existing items. Nothing R/C wise from the past is impossible for them to make or rework. As for the cost, a little is passed of into each kit and paid for by us at the end of the day.

The Ranger now holds the torch with my little glimmer of hope to be the sacred one. Somehow I feel it to will eventually come. Again as much as I like the Ranger, it will be a sad day.

• Like 1

I'm pretty excited about this - the SRBs were before my time when I was into RC the first time around but since the re-res came along I've become hooked on them. This is on my wishlist - I have some Tower vouchers burning a hole in my pocket - it's this or another Scorcher, really... Hmm, should I pre-order now, or just go with another Scorcher and have it by next week..?

Me and you alike it's neat but it don't do nothing for me also. but you never know it may grow on us!

• Like 1