TWINSET

Super Champ re-release - Fighting Buggy

$219.99 Scorpion; http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXEMUG&P=ML

$219.90 Scorpion; http://www.rcmart.com/kyosho-buggy-scorpion-p-56545.html?cPath=420_1189

In fairness though, the Tamiya 'versions' do seem better engineered/presented

Hard bodies and a more 'refined' design of rolling chassis and components

Might not make them a better runner, but probably costs more to make

The Super Champ's MSRP is lower than the Sand Scorcher's ($534 v $523), so with the SS at $309 @ Tower, it should make the SC sub $300 eventually?

I have to say out of all my Tamiya kits the kyosho scorpion looks to be built better kyosho took care and went the extra mile with updating the gears and adding a slipper and using better hi grade aluminum parts heck they even took the time to polish the parts a bit ... sorry but Tamiya is slacking when comparing there models to what went into and what kyosho did with the scorpion.

• Like 3

It will be nice to purchase the metal roof part as new and not have to make do with a typically dented or a DIY straightened one. Also to replace those original rear bumpers which have that common part snapped off. Cannot wait!

I am sending my pre-order request with stella as i type this. Hopefully they will reply soon!

[snipped]

The Super Champ's MSRP is lower than the Sand Scorcher's ($534 v $523), so with the SS at $309 @ Tower, it should make the SC sub $300 eventually?

Would agree with you except that the SC is limited being an 84xxx therefore likely will be out of production/stock by the time the price would have dropped.

I predict that it will stay at $359.99 at Tower until gone.

I ordered two with $100 off SSC coupon making them $309.99 each, shipped. I can live with that price given that it is a limited production model.

WOW! I just returned home from vacation to read this! I cannot believe it. I have been looking, chasing, searching for a good original Super Champ for quite some time now, but the search is over. I will definitely have to order 2, maybe even three... Thank you Tamiya, you have re-sparked the passion of a 12 year old in a 42 year olds' body...

• Like 1

Yeah good stuff indeed.

It's the only SRB I want. To me it's a SRB regardless . The only question that I'm concerned is the high price tag. Really Mr Tamiya twice the price of the Kyosho Scorpion which is far superior ??? As much as the Avante if not more is going be a big pill for alot to swallow. :(

• Like 2

The first thing that comes to my mind, regarding this re-release, is hot diggity dang will the original Wild Willy be next in line?
As the successor (model number wise) and one of the most recognised RC cars of all times, my mind start to wander. For some reason, I hope not. Maybe because I have quite a few of them, but mostly because the re-res take some of the nostalgic attraction away for me.

Still the Fighting Buggy looks awesome!

Also, funny seeing that the grey bumpers came in demand with the re-re of the black bumpers (which use to be one of the single most expensive part to buy NOS).

A modernized vintage runner like a Super Champ would be great. However, the Fighting Buggy means that a true re-release can now pack the personality of the original Super Champ while being run with much less guilt! It must be a relief to those itching to run shelf-queen examples.

That being said, I do feel a little bad for cosworthwesty for all the superb work he put into restoring an original Super Champ shell. But hey, it is your handiwork, mate, and it looks great!

And thinking of the potential of "'Turbo' Tony K." as the new driver, I wonder if we will soon see any examples with helmets painted like any on the wall in this picture...:

Tony_Kanaan_shows_off_his_wall_of_racing

This would be Tony Kanaan, professional driver of Indy Cars(?). When a Tony was mentioned as the driver decal, I kept thinking of "Terrible" Tony Atkins or Tony Toudor. They were last at the wheel of the Super Shot and the Fox, respectively!

Maybe because I have one of the largest collections of original Wild Willys in the world.

That may be for build and beautifully restored vehicles but this guy has the biggest pile of yet to restore :wacko: so there ;)

Rere of the blazer would be nice, could use some tires.

That may be for build and beautifully restored vehicles but this guy has the biggest pile of yet to restore :wacko: so there ;)

Rere of the blazer would be nice, could use some tires.

Bare in mind that I only post the cars that I have restored in my showroom, not all my projects, and as described on my page, it is only a small part what is showcased...

Lets not derail this thread though, so focus back on the up & coming Fighting Buggy :D

I like it, but I will stick with my original restored Super Champ (no, not even in my showroom yet)

like I said before this feels like when the SS was re-re'd in 2010....and who would of thought you can still get the N.I.B. almost 5 years later.......I never owned a SC/FB before.....back in 1983 it was a choice of SS of SC....I chose the SS...im gonna have to get one this time around!

I missed this one, but after getting stung by customs this is going to be too expensive... I can't dip in to my 'ONE DAY THEY'LL RE-RE THE BLAZER FUND' :D

If anyone has any link to TAMIYA ,maybe Mr Anderson, please tell them how many people want the Blazer re-released, there's probably hundreds just on this site.

I missed this one, but after getting stung by customs this is going to be too expensive... I can't dip in to my 'ONE DAY THEY'LL RE-RE THE BLAZER FUND' :D

If anyone has any link to TAMIYA ,maybe Mr Anderson, please tell them how many people want the Blazer re-released, there's probably hundreds just on this site.

Trust me I have mentioned it time and time again....

• Like 1

Trust me I have mentioned it time and time again....

Or at least the body! Or make the body fitted for the Bruiser/Mountineer?

Badboy

or just pick one up on eBay, and know that the extra money spent, is well worth the feeling, that this is an original piece of history, your childhood dream...

How did I miss this !!

Hope the box if full of blistery goodness .

Can't wait for the re release of this iconic car ....WOW !!

It's good to know there will be more used parts available on eBay for the original SC. :)

They've re-used a few old 'car' bodies though, there's not much point re-releasing an old, heavy touring car chassis just to hold a body up.

I understand your point and agree to it for the most part.. most touring car bodies can be fitted to new chassis. However the re-release patterns of just the older TC bodies shows why we have not yet seen the 959 re-released.

Hopefully Tamiya will break this pattern and give everyone their 959. :)

However the re-release patterns of just the older TC bodies shows why we have not yet seen the 959 re-released.

Hopefully Tamiya will break this pattern and give everyone their 959. :)

It would be very stupid of me to state that the 959 can't possibly be re-released. As we all know, similar opinions about other models have been put to shame by Tamiya over and over again. Still, I dare say that I believe a 959 re-release is highly unlikely, but not for any technical reasons.

OK, so the relative uniqueness in the body being blowmolded might be one obstacle (which is of course possible for Tamiya to overcome).

Being a 1/12 scale model of a relatively small vehicle made the Tamiya 959 quite unstable and gave it mediocre handling (though improved upon with front stabilizer and centre diff on the Celica). Also, the size made it quite unsuitable for rough surfaces (deliberately not using the word "off-road").

As the chassis was used for only two models, Tamiya would have few models to spread the cost of a re-release on, of course unless Tamiya would make some new bodies for it.

But as we all know, bad handling and other negative characteristics thankfully haven't stopped Tamiya from re-releasing several other models! The sometimes claimed "licensing controversy" between Tamiya and Porsche is something I consider to be non-existant and highly unlikely, especially when considering how many Porsche models Tamiya has released since the 959.

So, the main reason why I think we won't get the 959 is actually the tobacco livery. Back when the 959 and Rothmans 956 were released, "Rothmans" was replaced with "Racing" in markets were tobacco advertising was illegal, but a few years later, Tamiya published a press release, stating that they would no longer manufacture models in tobacco liveries and that it was Tamiya's free choice with concern for children being a significant portion of their customer base. The 1/24 24098 Cabin R90V Nissan was in 1990 the last Tamiya model to be released with a tobacco livery, if I recall correctly. All models that have been released or re-released after that which should have had tobacco liveries for authenticity have come without the correct stickers/decals, like the McLarens and Ligier JS9 to name a few.

And when the 956 body was re-released for the RM-01, we got just the Newman livery and not the Rothmans.

So, I think the 959 would have to come without the correct livery if Tamiya would re-release it, surely making it a lot less attractive to a large portion of the potential customers. Personally I think this is the major showstopper, but I hope to be proven wrong.

• Like 2

If you think about it, Tamiya has yet to re-re any kit that was not an off-road buggy or a truck.

The haven't re-re'd any of the early (and agricultural) pan cars, but the group c base cars - such as the recent NSX count don't they?

Is that of the first 100, I assume? Some others outside the first 100 have seen re-releases, like the Toyota GT-One (which still kind of puzzles me - but I enjoyed having new GT-Ones on sale again).

Have to save up to buy a re release champ.. I have a few of them already i should post them in the gallery section before they get released...

I've been hopeing this would happen I'll be getting a couple for sure. Will have to sell some junk first, gotta make room you see! :-)

Have to save up to buy a re release champ.. I have a few of them already i should post them in the gallery section before they get released...

I've had one in the project pile for 2 years, together with new pargu black anodized chassis plates - i think i need to bring it to the front of the queue. I was going to strip the uncracked body and do boxart but might leave it as is now, and use the vintage decals on the rere ?

IMG_0062.jpg

2 vintage superchamps listed today on ebay.

Like buses...

I've had one in the project pile for 2 years, together with new pargu black anodized chassis plates - i think i need to bring it to the front of the queue. I was going to strip the uncracked body and do boxart but might leave it as is now, and use the vintage decals on the rere ?

IMG_0062.jpg

Looks like the new body is the exact mold they used. Except for the Rcc f buggy written on it. It might have those markings on there-re.. Leave the yellow and silver paint on the original body it looks great..