TWINSET

Super Champ re-release - Fighting Buggy

Amazing! There are enough difference to make the originals still sought after. Love the fact that the bodies are being released!

OSR

• Like 1

The Tokyo Hobby Show is this weekend so we should see some more photos on Tamiyablog soon.....and then it hits the stores exactly one week today. Should receive the price notification email from Stella on Sunday, with a bit of luck. Hopefully this thing will come in for around £190 delivered from them.

Wow. Even quicker than I thought....the email from Stella has just arrived today. :)

A great price too...$235 + $63 shipping. So that's roughly £185...even cheaper than I had hoped for. B)

• Like 3

Stella $235USD what a great price. I was expecting $300+

Pre order done deal!

Thanks for the pics Wandy.

Nice selection of parts in the blister packs. Very much reminds me of the original.

Nice to see the blisters and grey bumper, not sure about the black chassis plates

The blisters are not arranged in the same manner as the original either, which is a bit of a pity as I really liked the way the tyres were previously presented in the central body tray. Not something to get in a strop about though.

yep...them pics just verified that im getting one..i cannot jump on one right away..I hope I can get one before the sell out...it is a limited edition....right?

Nice pics, thanks Wandy.

Rear bumper looks more angular than the original. The black chassis i am happy with, which is distinguished from the original. The body shell and grey bumper i will be buying a few of.

Hey I notice the Hobbyking Lipo alarm on the Fighting Buggy chassis. Curious to know what battery is in it.

First photos from Tokyo....

004045w9edyzn76ffw9jns_zps3cngzku1.jpg

So they still use same ol' ball end steering as on the BC and SS not the more advanced ones that was used on the original SC

Badboy

• Like 1

So they still use same ol' ball end steering as on the BC and SS not the more advanced ones that was used on the original SC

Badboy

Keep in mind those ball ends tended to rust badly - it is much easier to stick to the plastic cups for now.

I, for one, am very excited for the Fighting Buggy - the presentation may not be original, but those blister packs sure look great!

Curious to know how much flex there is with the new chassis design especially since there is no second aluminum underplate like the SRBs.

I thought the new decks were carbon instead of FRP. If they are the former, then that would explain why the reinforcing plate was dispensed with.

Edit: Those are definitely FRP plates judging from the countersunk holes on the bottom. However, I figured the double-deck design should provide a stiffness approaching that of a single plate with reinforcement. Maybe the plate was considered redundant?

Stella order placed! Hoping it will arrive at my doorstep by the end of the week!

From the pics, that chassis plate does not look like carbon fiber at all. I think it is FRP.

A carbon chassis would look out of place on this chassis I think.

I like the rear suspension metal pieces looks pretty strong to use as a runner.. :) :)

Can't wait to see them...

From the pics, that chassis plate does not look like carbon fiber at all. I think it is FRP.

A carbon chassis would look out of place on this chassis I think.

Agreed, and edited. The countersunk holes are a giveaway.

That being said, a carbon chassis would have been nice - again, a stiff chassis would have allowed the suspension to operate the most effectively. It was a problem with the Buggy Champ at least!

Paint helps decals to adhere better - and it does look better than an unpainted shell. This is from my model-building perspective, though. From what I can see of the original manual, the original prescribed colour was X-4 Blue, so even back then Tamiya recommended painting the shell, no doubt for the reasons specified above.

Coloured plastic in the shells help them look a little better when the paint wears off. But the color of the plastic is neither as nice or as uniform as a good paint job.

Even the white Grasshopper should be painted, white :-)