TWINSET

Super Champ re-release - Fighting Buggy

This should be the official Tamiya video for the re-re. I hope they contact you and buy it from you, you deserve it!

Say does anyone know if there will be another batch from Stella? Or was this the shortest limited edition ever?

This should be the official Tamiya video for the re-re. I hope they contact you and buy it from you, you deserve it!

Say does anyone know if there will be another batch from Stella? Or was this the shortest limited edition ever?

There should be more of them soon... :) :)

I wonder if you where to replace the naff rear damper with a modern oil filled piggy back unit that the suspension would actually work ????????????

After just watching Mateos latest movie, and the Super Champ promotional video countless times, I think that the rear F.F.P.D.S works really well. The rears seem to be tracking with the ground almost flawlessly. Or is it just my old eyes?

Taking into account this was probably designed in 1981 and released in 1982, it's not too bad at all.

• Like 2

After just watching Mateos latest movie, and the Super Champ promotional video countless times, I think that the rear F.F.P.D.S works really well. The rears seem to be tracking with the ground almost flawlessly. Or is it just my old eyes?

Taking into account this was probably designed in 1981 and released in 1982, it's not too bad at all.

I noticed that one too the suspension seems to work well on the bumps.. :) :)

Well, Matteo has done an excellent job convincing me that I should sell my Buggy Champ and move onto a Fighting Buggy!

I wonder if the rear suspension system benefits from the additional tubing, as it tracks this well today when people were complaining about the effectiveness of the Super Champ's system back in the day. I for one thought the system worked well from promotional videos (although they are there to promote the vehicle!), with the large balloon tires keeping an even contact patch despite the swing-arm setup.

I noticed that one too the suspension seems to work well on the bumps.. :) :)

I was't being negative guys but as we all know the SRB / Super Champs suspension design is inherently flawed with the camber change due to the swing arms . Its true to life though as VW Beetles have exactly the same problem .

What i was meaning is i wonder if the re re is any better than the original in terms of damper design and leaks ?

Agree with this, I thought that the rear suspension seems to be working pretty well. Certainly, it looks to be much more effective than that on the standard SRBs.

• Like 1

There should be more of them soon... :) :)

Cooltoys how do you know that for sure?

Wow missed this one does the rear suspension fit buggy champ/sand scorcher? if so what do I need lol

Wow missed this one does the rear suspension fit buggy champ/sand scorcher? if so what do I need lol

You would need the gearbox, swing arms, rear bumper supports, shock supports, rear shock shafts, swing arm pin, shocks. Basically the whole rear almost minus the gears

The re-re Fighting Buggy rear damper is actually based on the current TRF damper design, so calling it naff isn't right. It's a huge step up from the original damper on the Super Champ and probably actually...... damps!

And as I said before, the original Super Champ's rear suspension did a fairly good job of keeping the tires on the ground back in the day. The combination of soft rear spike tires, the swing arm movement of each wheel plus the pivoting of both arms together via the rear damper (which links both arms together) allowed the rear tires to follow ground contours rather well (and quickly), better than the SRBs.

The biggest drawback of the design was turning on asphalt because the "total rear pivot" action allowed the inside wheel to lift up while the inside wheel curled under and before you had a chance to react, it was on its hood or rolling over completely. You learned quite quickly to zip up the zip-tie limiters tightly to prevent the arms from hanging too low. The re-re uses non-adjustable(?) aluminum stops built into the rear swing arms to limit travel. Would have been nice to be able to adjust the arm droop, oh well.

• Like 1

Hi, what's the meaning of "FS" in the bech of this model please?

Max

I could be wrong, but I think it stands for "floating suspension". I think it's a shortened form of FFPDS or Free Floating Progressive Damping Suspension.

The re-re Fighting Buggy rear damper is actually based on the current TRF damper design, so calling it naff isn't right. It's a huge step up from the original damper on the Super Champ and probably actually...... damps!

And as I said before, the original Super Champ's rear suspension did a fairly good job of keeping the tires on the ground back in the day. The combination of soft rear spike tires, the swing arm movement of each wheel plus the pivoting of both arms together via the rear damper (which links both arms together) allowed the rear tires to follow ground contours rather well (and quickly), better than the SRBs.

The biggest drawback of the design was turning on asphalt because the "total rear pivot" action allowed the inside wheel to lift up while the inside wheel curled under and before you had a chance to react, it was on its hood or rolling over completely. You learned quite quickly to zip up the zip-tie limiters tightly to prevent the arms from hanging too low. The re-re uses non-adjustable(?) aluminum stops built into the rear swing arms to limit travel. Would have been nice to be able to adjust the arm droop, oh well.

i stand corrected . i was'nt aware that the re re uses the TRF damper . Obviously a vast improvement over the original design .

Re the adjustable droop i seem to remember seeing a modification where you file off the aluminium stops and then drill and tap to allow a grub screw to be fitted . I think thats how it was done anyway ?

I've just read this entire thread from the beginning. I love how excited everyone's got and all the debate over the exact spec differences and details. Stuff like this makes this a great site. :D

Personally, to me it just looks like Every Other Buggy... :unsure:

C'mon Tamiya we need spare parts! Spare parts will determine whether i build and run this kit or not!

Or I buy another kit to enable spares for my first kit...

• Like 2

C'mon Tamiya we need spare parts! Spare parts will determine whether i build and run this kit or not!

^^^ What he said :P . ^^^
  • Like 1

^^^ What he said :P . ^^^

Sometime in November parts will be available.. :) :)