TWINSET

Super Champ re-release - Fighting Buggy

3 hours ago, Raman36 said:

RCMarts price is a bit high.. I’d keep an eye on that. Will probably drop $30 to $40

I agree, looks overpriced at the mo

17 minutes ago, futureworks said:

I agree, looks overpriced at the mo

I recall on M08, they were high and then brought it down.

2 hours ago, CoolHands said:

$310 + $80 shipping equals £295. Current price showing on modelsport etc is £315.

I don’t compute in Monopoly Money ;)

2 hours ago, CoolHands said:

$310 + $80 shipping equals £295. Current price showing on modelsport etc is £315.

So I just checked my Stella Models order history when I purchased this kit when originally re-released - back in 2014, the list price for pre-order was $335, discounted by $100  to $235 + shipping (which back then was $63 to the UK), so landed price was around the £200 mark  Obviously exchange rates are not what they used to be , but I suspect (hope) the new batch will last more than a few seconds, and that discounts will soon be on offer.

3 hours ago, Re-Bugged said:

No price yet but a very reputable Australian Shop showing it’s on the way 😁

https://www.metrohobbies.com.au/products/tamiya-47304-1-10-fighting-buggy-2014-2wd-kit

Rings true, given others have already listed prices that presumably are not yet set by Tamiya  (RC Mart in HK, and Modelsport in the UK).... Here’s what Stella Models had to say the other day:

A4AFF767-3016-4049-AE60-CF130CF9CFC6.jpeg

• Like 1

Almost bought one of these 5 or 6 yrs ago before joining tamiyaclub. Got a few questions.

1. What’s it like to drive one of these?

2. Can I fit modern 2.0 or 2.2 buggy wheels and tires to it?

3. Why is there an oil bottle connected to a shock in the rear?

On 12/22/2015 at 6:56 PM, Raman36 said:

They are discontinued.. So what ever you find is all that's left.

You are correct the spool can be a handful, especially when the rear suspension is firm.!

I run one of my SRB with the RCChannel suspension and fairly soft suspension in the back. When I test drove it on high grip concrete it cornered extremely well. My other one has the torsion bar and when I drove it on same surface, it would almost roll over. Both were running spools.

FYI they did a second release version 2 of the ball diff recently, RC Mart has them until gone for 35.00 USD each. Its also adjustable from the outside by removing one U-joint.

2 hours ago, MICHAELs TopForce17 said:

3. Why is there an oil bottle connected to a shock in the rear?

1. On sand, they go really well. Everywhere else, they go less well. A bit like the full-sized vehicles it's based on.

2. Yes. You can get some hex adaptors for the rear - https://tamico.de/navi.php?a=707&lang=eng

3. It's like a very basic CVA feature. The air at the top of the bottle can be compressed, and/or the plastic bottle can expand to allow for the displacement of the piston rod. But the actual why might be because the

original on the Super Champ leaked oil really fast. :)

• Thanks 1

I had an original one back in the early 80s. I loved that thing, but it did not take turns very well due to the posi rear (no diff). I loved it anyway, and drove the badword out of it. On dirt and sand it did a lot better (go figure). But I did something a little un-orthodox to mine, that believe it or not, did help it get around corners. I didn't like the way the steering was set up, so I mounted the servo widthwise in front of the servo saver which gave it a more "direct" turning, and more turn than when it was mounted originally. I also shortened the wheelbase by an inch by cutting the fiberglass platform and remounting the front end with new mounting holes etc. I cut that inch out of the nose of the body and used epoxy and filler to hide that sin. It actually came out really nice and you could not tell it was cut at all. You look at it, and can see that "something" was not the same, but people didn't really notice unless I pulled up next to an original un-cut one. Then they could see that mine was shorter. It looked really cool shortened. But, that and the way I mounted the servo did make it take turns on dry surface a lot better. I really loved it and that modification I did to it back then. Of course that would be a carnal sin to do to an original today, but back then, it was just an RC buggy.. lol. Wish I still had that buggy. Traded it many years later for a go cart motor for a gocart I built for my sons. I do plan to pick up one of the re-re's, and putting the diff in it. As far as the oil tank in the back. Not sure that improved anything for the mono transverse shock in the rear, but it sure did look cool. ;) The rear shock in mine did not have a leaking problem, but the front shocks did. I mounted those up-side down to keep the oil in them while sitting still. That helped, and slowed the leaking issue on those. I have a re-re sand scorcher now that I also mounted the shocks upside down to help with that. 

14 hours ago, MICHAELs TopForce17 said:

Almost bought one of these 5 or 6 yrs ago before joining tamiyaclub. Got a few questions.

3. Why is there an oil bottle connected to a shock in the rear? <----------------So you can keep a splash of Scotch with you, for when you get thirsty 

The RCChannel rear suspension makes a world of difference on SRB's handling.  It is a night and day difference.  My SRB doesn't turn over on asphalt even with a solid axle.. thats how good they are.  

Unfortunately they are out of production.  I have emailed Paul to show him interest, so hopefully he will start making them again.  

• Like 2

Pre-ordered. I've told my wife that's Xmas sorted for me. She can give me a picture of it, I know I'll get it sometime early 2021.

• Like 1

I have followed suit and also placed a pre-order, so at least I can stop thinking about this now 👍. I’m in the UK, and have gone with Time Tunnel Models, who seem to be offering the lowest price I can find - £295 delivered, and the option to cancel up to a day before dispatch (they reckon March). Others like Modelsport and Wondertand are at £315, and the only other price I found elsewhere in the UK was £350 at a couple of online stores. In the ‘good old days’ I would automatically have bought from sellers in HK (e.g. Stella Models, from whom I bought this kit when originally re-re’d), but I think the landed price difference is pretty much negligible these days, and whilst they arrive sooner, the customs charge risk seems to be ever rising 😫

Interesting thing on this one, Tamiya USA shows an msrp of $424.  The current batch of Buggy Champ has an msrp of $513.  Now we know retail will be less than those amounts but by how much I wonder?  Possible we actually see a price drop to other srb kits?  Or just Tamiya USA hasn't updated the msrp (most likely). 

Probably an error.. last I checked it said discontinued still.. so they updated it and probably made a mistake on retail price 

In the end I decided to buy a buggy champ (used to be rough rider) as on balance I think I prefer it. Can’t really afford to have both.

Does anyone know if RC Mart requires upfront payment on back-orders?  Worried this is going to turn out like the current batch of Nova Fox and Buggy Champ in the US where I can't get it from any major retailers so considering securing at least one from RC Mart.

2 hours ago, mtbkym01 said:

I'm still to build my 84389 2014 release :o

Chop, chop then or you will end up with 2 to build  😉

• Haha 1

Any excuse to post some pics of my favourite RC car will do. It's looking a bit less shiny than it was 4 years ago. Trips to the beach will do that I guess.

Hopefully it will whet a few appetites for the upcoming re-release.

50644748177_27b6d2c0b7_k.jpgP1010847 by James H, on Flickr

50644659036_42a466ea49_k.jpgP1010848 by James H, on Flickr

50644659011_8b8671b340_k.jpgP1010849 by James H, on Flickr

50644658971_13640538e0_k.jpgP1010850 by James H, on Flickr

50644748017_3f42bcdbd4_k.jpgP1010851 by James H, on Flickr

50643908593_9f1754b481_k.jpgP1010852 by James H, on Flickr

50644747942_76777f995b_k.jpgP1010853 by James H, on Flickr

50644658796_62fb8e4dcd_k.jpgP1010854 by James H, on Flickr

50643908483_121f33c5f1_k.jpgP1010855 by James H, on Flickr

• Like 6