TWINSET

Super Champ re-release - Fighting Buggy

Is it October yet? :(

Looks like the previously cable tied rear bar is now clamped, or is it my old eyes?

Bit quiet in here! What's everyones plans with this, Build and run, keep NIB, shelfer? Being a limited edition based on the model number, I'm interested what peeps are gonna do with 'em.

I am planning to get two.

One will be built and run, the other will stay boxed for a while with my OG new in box version.

My build plans are :- Manual stock build with the addition of being fully ball raced. Not sure on motor or electronics just yet.

Body will be done in black with lots of clear and lots of polishing. The vents on the side will be silver, and the roll cage flat/matt yellow. Will topped off with all four spotties in the black and yellow KC livery, finished with an original Tamiya old school decal sheet I have here somewhere. Will probably slip a black bumper on too if she comes with the grey one in the kit. My number will be 308.

Could look hot with my full set of new You G front and rear wheels and tyres I built not long ago. The wheels are yellow from factory, and would tie in real nice with the spotties, decals, and my cage colour choice.

Yes I'm a little excited! :)

I have seen pics here from one of the members that has done a Champ in silver.....It looks spectacular!

mtbkym01.....yes when SS was re-re'd...there would have been 20 pages by now....I might go black with it...not sure...maybe something 70's style/color...im sure there will be more than one black body and blue bodies......and I will cut ruts with it....I got a new 17t 540 with fighting buggy written all over it...

• Like 1

I've read a price somewhere for the body scootmike so I'm guessing it'll be a body kit like the what was offered with the scorcher and rough rider?

If I get one of these (depending on final price) it'll be staying nib as I could never afford two, unless they for some unknown reason prove to be not so popular.

Chris

Well well well....this is a nice piece of news to return home from holiday to. :D

Must admit I thought the chances of this one coming back were only about 50/50. Now that this is happening though I reckon it is merely a matter of time before the XLT rejoins the fray too.

So another major re-re box is ticked, and good old Mr Tamiya delivers the goods once again. I agree with some of the previous comments though, I would not be surprised if this is a response to the Scorpion re-release.

And then can we have 1980s buggy showdowns again? :D

(I kind of missed out on that era, so I think re-release Scorpions and Super Champs racing would be very cool)

And then can we have 1980s buggy showdowns again? :D

(I kind of missed out on that era, so I think re-release Scorpions and Super Champs racing would be very cool)

The radio interviews with Roger Curtis weeks before the release of the rere gold pan RC10 was all about vintage buggy racing being the next thing , as shirt course sales had peaked long ago. Roger was hoping other companies would join in, I think it wasn't so much hope as knowledge; refreshing your sales figures with items that 80% of the design work is done for is a nice little earner if your models have iconic status

• Like 2

I like the idea of vintage classes.. I also feel that they should be kept spec to keep it level and fun.. Otherwise some joker is eventually going to show up with a SRB that has RC10 arms slapped on it lol.

hello all champ fans :) I hav'nt been on here for a while. good thing i just logged on again..! It's been great to enjoy so much info, tech support & update's by you guys.( the tamiyaclub community) keeping us all up to date with future re-releases over the yrs.. that i, or we may have missed out on .. .

I'm not up with the latest exciting gossip or news with re-releases with info etc, so a kind thanks to all who have contributed.

My prayers to tamiya have been answered..!

I'm on the pre-order list for 2 kits.. Kind Regards.

• Like 1

MSRP seems to be about 3% cheaper than the Scorcher so it should be around $250 from Stella...$240 if we are lucky.

Was "MINT 400" a real-life sponsor back in the day? It will be a shame to lose it if so.

Also, what did the "FS" stand for on the rear metal plate?

the mint 400 is a race they still do to this day......-----------> http://themint400.com same as Baja 500

Hmm. So the chances of that decal still being supplied are quite low then, I would say. Shame.

Just been having a look on ebay to see what is available and there seems to be quite a lot of parts there that I would have thought would be quite rare. Bearing in mind that I have never watched the Champ market in the past...is this normal or has the re-re started the familiar jettison of parts?

Doesn't the re-re SRB decal sheet have the Mint 400? I thought it did.

Mint 400 is held just outside of sin city Las Vegas ;)

Doesn't the re-re SRB decal sheet have the Mint 400? I thought it did.

Nope. Neither of them came with it.

Happily, another little mystery has been solved for me with this re-release. :)

Years ago I bought a boat-load of various vintage spare parts and the haul also came with some other random stuff, of which I had no clue whatsoever which model they came from....and one of the parts was a very ancient looking MSC. Well after looking at the Champ manual it appears that this little riddle is now solved as, correct me if I am wrong, this is the Champ's original speed controller?

20140825_191315_zpsfdqlu3zh.jpg

Wandy, yes, although both of the ones that I had with the Super Champ kits from 1984/85 did not have the soldered component that you have next to the servo hole. Not sure what that is.

Edit: Oh, maybe that is a diode used to drop the battery voltage down to supply power to the receiver/servos. The original MSCs that came with the Super Champ (at least the two kits that I had) did not have this feature. The RX/servos were powered by a separate 4 AA pack.

• Like 1

Edit: Oh, maybe that is a diode used to drop the battery voltage down to supply power to the receiver/servos. The original MSCs that came with the Super Champ (at least the two kits that I had) did not have this feature. The RX/servos were powered by a separate 4 AA pack.

Yep, you beat me to it. It seems to be a DIY Battery Eliminator System of some sort?

Yep, you beat me to it. It seems to be a DIY Battery Eliminator System of some sort?

Yup, I think so. Sure would have saved a lot of weight if I had that back in the day!

This discussion makes me think this MSC was used for more than just the Super Champ, so maybe the one you have is from another Tamiya kit that was released after the Super Champ. Problem is, I don't know what other Tamiya kits came with that MSC. It was designated a "racing speed control" and was more expensive than the others due to to the adjustable resistors, so it wasn't very popular.

Yup, I think so. Sure would have saved a lot of weight if I had that back in the day!

This discussion makes me think this MSC was used for more than just the Super Champ, so maybe the one you have is from another Tamiya kit that was released after the Super Champ. Problem is, I don't know what other Tamiya kits came with that MSC. It was designated a "racing speed control" and was more expensive than the others due to to the adjustable resistors, so it wasn't very popular.

Yeah the official part number was 50172....Racing Speed Controller with "EMF Braking". How did that work?....assuming EMF stood for electro-magnetic force?