TWINSET

Super Champ re-release - Fighting Buggy

The super champ always used zip ties to mount the two pieces of the rear cage together.  It was the Rough Rider and Sand Scorcher that had the pipe joints.  On mine , I welded the cage together for a cleaner look

Posted Image

By previous versions I meant SRB/SS/RR

I'm sorry but I really don't like this model, I think it is the ugliest of the series with this body so high.......

You think this is ugly? Really?

champ_zpsff99a96b.jpg

• Like 3

I can remember tearing through the barn driveway at the house where I grew up with my Super Champ at full speed. The driveway was just a dirt path with some low protruding, but large, tree roots and dirt and mulch. This gave it an overall fairly smooth path but with many bumps and ruts in between. A full speed run really gave the suspension a workout and it was awesome watching the combination of the rear suspension and the stock spike rear tires soak up the bumps as it flew down the path. The rear wheels would be almost fluttering up and down because there were so many bumps and yet the main chassis barely moved in comparison and almost looked like it was floating. The weight of the chassis really made the suspension work like you'd expect and want it to. This was with the stock MSC and accompanying servo and 4-AA battery pack, so the weight was right up there. I was quite impressed, but then I was just a teenager. :)

• Like 1

This one is better than original one. ;)

Max

You think this is ugly? Really?

champ_zpsff99a96b.jpg

Perhaps the Super Champ was that heavy so the suspension could work... or they figured the system was reasonably efficient on the Rough Rider/Sand Scorcher and so carried the front end over to the Super Champ, changing the rear.

It is suggested that the design is built around keeping stability over rough surfaces, so that is why I suspect the original buggy did not employ too many weight-saving measures besides the radio deck. But as I was not around to see the tracks of the 1980s...

The track of the 80ies were more rough than today tracks.

Max

• Like 1

I think what all the SRB's hold back look-wise is the single wishbone suspension at the rear, giving odd wheel angles. It makes sense on the Sand Scorcher, but I don't appreciate it on the rest of them.

• Like 1

I loved the rear end srb wheel angles on the champ & rider bitd, i think tamiya tried to mimic some of the true scale late 70's baja buggies that raced with alot of negative camber to maximize suspension travel & when those rear ends were working hard, they would'nt bottom out so much & the suspension sat more neutral to slight positive camber over rough terrain, it gives them a bit more character flair, just my guess though..

I found an old crp rear stabilizer for a superchamp, im going to fit it on the fighting buggy.. forgot i had it.. i have some other hopups i found as well digging around.

I was at a small race gathering in 1986 and by that time the Super Champ was already apparently a forgotten relic because many of the other kids that saw my car kept telling me "Hey, did you know your rear axle is broken!". I looked down at my car and the arms were hanging down like normal and I had to explain to them that it wasn't broken and that was how it was supposed to be. They were fascinated. I got 2nd place, beat by a Fox by 1/4 a lap. The course was tiny and the lack of a diff made it tough with the wide turning radius around the corners.

• Like 1

Champ, a 2nd is a great finish compared to the fox with a slightly wider track i think & a lighter weight buggy. Cool..

I loved the rear end srb wheel angles on the champ & rider bitd, i think tamiya tried to mimic some of the true scale late 70's baja buggies that raced with alot of negative camber to maximize suspension travel & when those rear ends were working hard, they would'nt bottom out so much & the suspension sat more neutral to slight positive camber over rough terrain, it gives them a bit more character flair, just my guess though..

I found an old crp rear stabilizer for a superchamp, im going to fit it on the fighting buggy.. forgot i had it.. i have some other hopups i found as well digging around.

I believe it is based on early vw bug's rear suspension, and a lot of the early baja buggies used vw bug drivetrains.

yes... tracks of the early 80's were rough, sandy....way different then they are today...I prefer them like that....not like the concrete-like tracks today..where a blue groove gets developed...tracks BITD actually created ruts...

and you actually needed real knobby tires...unlike the fuzzy tires of today.

Edited by skinned
  • Like 3

Baja500, yeah, I was happy to have gotten 2nd place. I don't remember what the other kids were driving besides the Fox. Maybe Frogs, Hornets, I just cannot remember and nobody had a camera. I knew the Fox would be tough due to its differential and lighter weight. The bottom line is I got 2nd place because I crashed less than the other kids, not necessarily because I was faster. That poor 1200mAh humpback battery did its best for me, that's for sure.

The weirdest moment for me during that November 1986 race event was when one of the kids, after having been told that the rear axle wasn't broken, asked me if I wanted to sell the car to him. I was like "no, it's my race car, the only one I have, and it's not even that special". I remember being confused by all of other kids not knowing what a Super Champ was and why they wanted to buy it. In my view, by November 1986 the kit was just barely out of production. I received a Super Champ kit for Christmas 1985 to use as spare parts from my parents (I believe that was the one and only time my parents ever gave me anything R/C-related for Christmas). Maybe kits did disappear quickly, but I just couldn't believe how nobody knew what it was. I guess nobody was "into" R/C like I was and so did not know all of the Tamiya kits that were around back then. Either that or I was simply oblivious to the fact that the Super Champ wasn't very popular and therefore they did not know what it was. I'm leaning more toward the latter.

All I really remember the most about that day is that the weather was so cold and windy. My hands and fingers froze trying to drive in the race with the 2-stick radio.

With the 2nd place finish I got a small plaque which I still have. I should dig it out and take a picture. The first place kid got a nice tall trophy. I was jealous.

I only raced one more time after that. I can't even remember the year. I used my Turbo Ultima for some on-road racing (don't even ask) at a different track in the summertime and it was a lot more competitive. I didn't do well, but cannot remember exactly what place I got. Maybe 8th or something, dunno. The track was really far away and I didn't have a 1:1 car or anything (my dad drove me), so I never went back.

• Like 1

yes... tracks of the early 80's were rough, sandy....way different then they are today...I prefer them like that....not like the concrete-like tracks today..where a blue groove gets developed...tracks BITD actually created ruts...

and you actually needed real knobby tires...unlike the fuzzy tires of today.

What no clay tracks? Lol funny isn't it that off-road tracks are no longer really off road anymore. They're indoor clay or even carpet with jumps.

Let's go back to sand, dirt and mud

I cant get the gallery to open up JAnderson...must be my browser...can someone post them here?

I cant get the gallery to open up JAnderson...must be my browser...can someone post them here?

Here you go...

1_zps687c37b9.jpg

3_zps6f78702d.jpg

2_zps2d9fbace.jpg

4_zpsa74a8c7d.jpg

What browser are you using?

Wow. Quite different and updated compared to the original.

1. Top deck is supported by two posts instead of one in the middle at the front, although the original front mount location hole still exists.

2. Top deck is a new shape to correspond to modern usage of ESCs rather than MSCs.

3. Rear damper oil tube is clear instead of black.

4. Rear bumper is new design with many changes, including: Beveled corners on bottom left and right. Double screws on either side for mounting. Smaller/more precise holes for rear spring arm pivots.

5. Elimination of rear FS plate with zip tie suspension travel limiters.

6. All new rear spring arm design and shape for rear damper mounting. Looks like rear suspension travel limits are either non-adjustable or done a new way.

7. All-new rear damper design with black end components instead of silver aluminum. Internal changes unknown, but likely.

8. New rear guard shape gives more space between guard and gearbox.

9. Rear guard is mounted to roll bar using metal brackets instead of zip ties.

10. Bottom chassis deck is 2.5mm instead of 2mm. Unknown if metal under guard is still being used (no picture underneath available yet).

11. Front steering rods are standard (2mm thin) with black plastic rod ends instead of 3mm black metal with metal rod ends.

12. Obviously the front arms and suspension are taken from the SRB chassis, which we already know is different from the originals.

13. Steering servo mounts to chassis using new brackets.

That's what I can see quickly.

Based on what I see, it looks like they tried to keep the overall design in keeping with the original while addressing some of the shortcomings and modernizing for today's technology.

I like it.

The servo saver design looks to be the same as the original.

Edit: strike out #5. See below posts.

5. Elimination of rear FS plate with zip tie suspension travel limiters.

Are you sure? It looks to be there if you look at the overhead photo?