Sign in to follow this  
Shaggy39

Trf201 or tlr 22

Was just about to treat myself to a 2wd buggy in the shape of a trf from Stella but then came across a uk retailer selling the tlr 22 competition kit for £99! Must be bringing a new one out for but almost half the price of a delivered 201 and I am tempted.

May club race It but really building in because I love buggies!

I have a trf201 and it is by far the most complicated 2wd build I have ever done. its like a dyna storm on steroids.

the carbon reinforced plastic can be hard to work with so invest in some long allen keys to make life easier.

I have still to decide on what motor to go for but if you are like me and love the build the 201 is the one I would go for. I took hours to build (nearly 3 just on the dampers) saying that it was xmas time and I had a few to help me along.

Thanks sideways Dave. By the way apologies for being in the wrong section, for some reason vintage has moved to where general discussion was and I just automatically chose the top title!

Wow 3 hours on shocks, that is some build! I really fancy a 201 but it's just the extra money I am struggling to justify!

I raced the TLR 22 for a couple of years and while it's a fantastic, solid car overall, the steering is terrible. Building it was fun, especially as you have the choice of mid or rear engine config. I would guess the £99 kit is not the latest 2.0 version which has much better steering hardware, but the parts will fit in the original 22.

Thanks guys. Gone for losi as I found myself near Dms yesterday and they had one left. Take your point about steering but I'll see how I get on in stock set up first

I have a trf201 and it is by far the most complicated 2wd build I have ever done. its like a dyna storm on steroids.

the carbon reinforced plastic can be hard to work with so invest in some long allen keys to make life easier.

I have still to decide on what motor to go for but if you are like me and love the build the 201 is the one I would go for. I took hours to build (nearly 3 just on the dampers) saying that it was xmas time and I had a few to help me along.

You are much better off with allen drivers instead of allen keys. For the harder plastics, buy a 3mm tapping tool. Using a little grease on the screw can help too.