Percymon

How do you choose a colour for your model ?

A rather basic question, but when I don't want to go with a box-art scheme I find it very , very difficult to choose a colour.

Maybe I'm not brave enough ? , maybe I worry about it / debate it too much ?

I generally look at TC showrooms for inspriration (often not too many non box-art example) - more often than not that helps me rule out certain colours, rather than pinpoint one or two final options

Google images / other forums often don't help me much either.

I've occassionally looked at colour 'wheels' to guide me towards 'correctly' contrasting colours when using more than one colour (orange and blue for example), or complimentary colours.

Looking at 1:1 cars is quite useful , but these days its either white, black or every shade of grey.

Help because I'm really struggling to find a colour/shade I'm happy with for an upcoming High Lift Hi-Lux build !

What do you do ?

Where do you get your inspiration ?

If you think of your cars as "models" and not just any RC car then that's probably because you're after realism. If that is the case NOTHING can do better than checking photos of real 1:1 vehicles to picture or envision what's the one you like the most.

If you're working on a Toyota pick-up, here's some reference photos that I've collected:

http://www.tamiyaclub.com/showroom_model.asp?cid=90716&sid=23692

http://www.tamiyaclub.com/showroom_model.asp?cid=123407&sid=23692

http://www.tamiyaclub.com/showroom_model.asp?cid=123491&sid=23692

http://www.tamiyaclub.com/showroom_model.asp?cid=91019&sid=23692

http://www.tamiyaclub.com/showroom_model.asp?cid=90783&sid=23692

• Like 1

hi Percymon ,

i usually have a look at google images, ie search for blue car or red car or even custom car paint and see what comes up, usually find something to give me an idea or two , with the DT03 i went for my own take on the frog colours with a custom pink pearl and white with blue accents ,

:)

I look at 1:1 for inspiration a lot of the time, really helps widen the scope of possibility and I also find it's nice to replicate something in miniature.

I seem to be replicating movie cars right now which goes nicely with my passion for the silver screen.

Cheers guys - most old hi-lux trucks seemed to be red, white or silver - not very exciting.

I have a few options in mind, just always glad of someone to point me to a jaw dropping example lol!

I think I take the same approach as you, short of posting on a forum about how I'm indecisive ;)

If it's not box art, then it probably is still on the undecided pile.

I tend to just leave them primer... or maybe rusty, and/or so weathered and dirty that the original colour is almost immaterial!

More seriously, if you are looking for 'scale' realism, you can do worse than visit Halfords (or the equivalent auto-parts store) and look at their range of colours for a particular manufacturer... ie. if it's a Beetle, look at the VW colours, for a Ford, Toyota, Honda etc. - the corresponding ranges...

It might not be truly authentic to the particular vehicle model, but I find it helps to narrow down the selection if you stick to colours that the 1:1 manufacturers have used in their ranges over the years?

That said, the STUMPscorcher 'Gulf racing' shade of blue I chose is actually a Ford colour, but at least the orange is VW ;o)

Jx

ps. As for a Hilux - I think any of the 70's pastel shades would work well - beige, yellow, pale blue or orange/red for example?

This one for example is awesome - and basically if you can't decide on a single colour, use all of the above!

http://www.tamiyaclub.com/showroom_model.asp?cid=119833&sid=22164

I suppose this is one reason why I have gravitated towards a 'signature' paint scheme - my non-box-art Avante and Astute wear dark green with red and white stripes. They were the efforts that followed my dark-green Buggy Champ.

On every other car I have, I liked the box art to the point where that became my first choice.

So I guess I selected a favourite colour and incorporated that into my non-box-art runners. If I were to select something else, though, I would have a look through the Tamiya paint catalogue and do some research on what a colour of interest may look like. In addition, other people's projects could guide me to a specific colour or scheme, like those being used on the many excellent Kyosho Scorpion builds on TamiyaClub!

I have the same issue.

I always take ages to decide on a colour for my R\Cs and occasionally in the past have got it wrong!

From experience I have also found that colours that I do not think will work get the most positive comments on the showroom! So that shows how much I know ;)

I recently did my F350 "sunshine yellow" which I really suspected to be a disaster but to my surprise one put together I think it looks fantastic. I have also started using Plasti-coat and Humbrol paints as it opens up loads of possibilities and I am still a bit let down by my results from this years Tamiya Florescent paints.

I tend to google image search of the model and real cars and see what stands out to me.

Also googleing custom paint jobs gives some great ideas. :)

PS: I am still going to paint one of my future R\C cars pink as I have had a can of Tamiya pink for ages and not been brave enough to use it yet!

• Like 1

I actually spent time choosing a nice bright Tamiya orange spray. Was bitterly disapointed when I sprayed it, it was nowhere near the indicated colour. Even in the photo you can see difference, it's worse in real life.

rcparts005_zpsd3b7fa8a.jpg

• Like 2

I usually know before I start what color I want to use, but will sometimes change my mind. I tend to google a lot of images of the real car to get the details right, and often I find a color that I like better than my original plan.

And sometimes, as in the case of my M05 VW Golf, it just sits there being transparent because I can't make up my mind.

• Like 1

I know the feeling, probably why I've done so many military type paint schemes recently!

For your Hilux, obviously showrooms here are a good start, but try some of the dedicated crawler/scaler sites too. Google images can be a bit it and miss, but if you add custom, modified, restored, junker or whatever to your search it can bring up some different results.

• Like 1

I tend to just leave them primer... or maybe rusty, and/or so weathered and dirty that the original colour is almost immaterial!

More seriously, if you are looking for 'scale' realism, you can do worse than visit Halfords (or the equivalent auto-parts store) and look at their range of colours for a particular manufacturer... ie. if it's a Beetle, look at the VW colours, for a Ford, Toyota, Honda etc. - the corresponding ranges...

ps. As for a Hilux - I think any of the 70's pastel shades would work well - beige, yellow, pale blue or orange/red for example?

This one for example is awesome - and basically if you can't decide on a single colour, use all of the above!

http://www.tamiyaclub.com/showroom_model.asp?cid=119833&sid=22164

Oh Jen, you don't know how many visits to Halfords I've had since placing the Hi-lux order ! It does help to rule out some colours/shades, but they are rather limited when it comes to colours other than silver, grey or blue :rolleyes:

I did find a stunning Mountaineer in the showrrom, painted Ford Tibetan Gold (sort of bronze metallic) and that focussed me on smokey silver/beige/bronze colours. My painting skills (or more accurately my patience with preparation) put me off the darker colours as they show up paint issues too easily IMO.

Anyway I got some inspiration walking the dog this morning from a 2011 Mini Clubman on the local garage forecourt - a bit of googling gave me the colour and code; a lunchtime visit to Halfords put a can of B31 in my hands. It looked rather dark after they mixed up the recipe (i double checked their every move with regards correct ingredients and weights of each of the 7 components), but hopefully it'll come out something like this..

p2.YJ63FXE_1.jpg

I think there is enough contrast to the chrome parts of the kit, without being so dark to lose the black trim parts like the front grille and any wheels arch extensions I might add.

I have the same issue.

I always take ages to decide on a colour for my R\Cs and occasionally in the past have got it wrong!

I recently did my F350 "sunshine yellow" which I really suspected to be a disaster but to my surprise one put together I think it looks fantastic.

Yes , i spotted the yellow F350 in my search - it does look fab ,and with a surfboard on the back it'd be very 'baywatch' - cue Ms Anderson in the driver seat :lol: That was one of my references when i said I wasn't very brave ;)

I know the feeling, probably why I've done so many military type paint schemes recently!

For your Hilux, obviously showrooms here are a good start, but try some of the dedicated crawler/scaler sites too. Google images can be a bit it and miss, but if you add custom, modified, restored, junker or whatever to your search it can bring up some different results.

Camo is hardly the easy way out though Rob ;)

100+ pages of RCCrawler forum 'show off your..'' threads was useful to reveal how limited most other folk are for inspiration - most are either box art or covered in decals or rust buckets ;) ;)

You could always comic wrap it :)

I did think about it, but would cost more buying comics than paint ;)

I suppose this is one reason why I have gravitated towards a 'signature' paint scheme - my non-box-art Avante and Astute wear dark green with red and white stripes. They were the efforts that followed my dark-green Buggy Champ.

I often wish I'd gone this route - there are some superb user galleries int he showroom where the same scheme has been used on all sorts of different models; finding a scheme that works on trucks, pickups and buggies is a real art - hats off to those that have done it so successfully. Trouble is i don;t have that talent to come up with something that works across the spectrum of cars.

I often admire our local bus companiy scheme - blue with white, orange and red stripes - works really well and could be used in subtly different ways for majority of models.

Good question Percymon. I happen to have a ton of paint in the garage so I'll stroll out there and see what catches my eye. I rarely use us 1:1s as an inspiration. If it's not box art, I'll just pick a color I haven't used for the last three paint jobs. I do have some favorites in orange, black, grey, and white which are my race colors and I've been experimenting with candies back with mirror chrome as well.

K1001_zps5ea6adf8.jpg

• Like 1

I like to get an idea of what the model will look like in a given paint scheme before I commit paint to plastic, so I often draw a simple line drawing of the model in a painting program, then use the colour fill function to paint it different colours until I find a scheme I like. Then it is a relatively simple task to take my smartphone or tablet along to Halfords or my LHS, and match the paint to the picture.

• Like 1

I like to get an idea of what the model will look like in a given paint scheme before I commit paint to plastic, so I often draw a simple line drawing of the model in a painting program, then use the colour fill function to paint it different colours until I find a scheme I like. Then it is a relatively simple task to take my smartphone or tablet along to Halfords or my LHS, and match the paint to the picture.

Great idea !

Custom paints on ebay do loads if different styles. I have just done my tundra in kiwi passion.

Black under coat, then the kiwi then clear coat. It now looks green, gold or a light purple.

Candy paints are good as well. Silver or gold base then build up your choice of candy to suit.

My f350 is silver and Tamiya green candy. Hilux is aluminium with a deep cheery red candy.

Camo is hardly the easy way out though Rob ;)

I didn't say it was easy, I just said it's my regular cop-out ;)

Hilux' look great two tone, just google image swatch 'hilux two tone' and check out the results.

I know it's a low rider but I particularly like this scheme

Posted Image

Actually, I'm anticipating the arrival of a Trailfinder 2, so I too am in the market for a Hilux color. Leaning towards either root-beer brown or dark green, as I have both of those paints already. Will probably have gold SR-5 stripes either way.

I did find this interesting paint job while searching, and apparently it was a factory option:

812-4.jpg

• Like 1

I actually spent time choosing a nice bright Tamiya orange spray. Was bitterly disapointed when I sprayed it, it was nowhere near the indicated colour. Even in the photo you can see difference, it's worse in real life.

rcparts005_zpsd3b7fa8a.jpg

I had the same issue when I painted my Midnight Pumpkin the same colour, I thought a nice bright orange would look the part (you know - Pumpkin!) but the paint came out even paler than yours - It looked awful