Sign in to follow this  
RichardinNZ

Futaba MC230 ESC

Having not used the CR-01 for a long time I've now pulled it out and seem to have an issue with reverse. When reversing the car will reverse OK for a little then if I increase speed the brakes apply and it stops. Sometimes this will happen even when reversing slowly.

Any thoughts?

Also, any recommendations for a cheap high torque waterproof servo? I think I have just killed mine!

Thanks

Richard

I'd check the obvious things first:

1. Make sure you have the right model selected in your radio if it is capable of multi-model memory.

2. Make sure trim and endpoint adjustments are what they were when you originally set up the MC230. If you use the same TX for multiple vehicles but the TX does not have multi-model memory, and then you play with the settings, the settings won't be right for all of the models and you can run into problems like this.

3. Failing the above, reset your transmitter throttle trim to neutral (mid-point), set throttle max throw to 100% (if available) and re-set up the MC230 by following the instructions. (Quick instructions from memory: Turn on TX, then RX. Ideally, unplug motor from ESC. If not possible, ensure vehicle is off the ground so wheels do not touch the ground and can spin freely just in case. While throttle in neutral, press and hold ESC setup button until LED starts to blink and then release button (this programs neutral throttle setting). Go full throttle and briefly press button (this programs forward endpoint limit). Go full reverse and briefly press button (this programs reverse endpoint limit). Let throttle go back to neutral. Programming is now complete. With wheels still off ground, try it out to make sure it responds correctly now.)

Remember that the Futaba MC230CR is a "double-tap reverse" design like the Futaba MC330CR and Tamiya TEU-101BK, TEU-104BK and TEU-105BK. After driving forward, hit reverse once (pull back stick or push trigger forward) on TX to engage proportional brakes. To get reverse, go back to neutral and then go in reverse again (without going forward on TX stick/trigger).

Something I have personally had problems with is the Futaba ESCs will sometimes skip brakes when I pull back on stick after going forward, resulting in reverse power being applied when I only wanted brakes. The Futaba ESCs seem to be more sensitive than the Tamiya ESCs in this respect. Not sure if it is due to smaller neutral deadband, signal filtering/timing differences or what, but it is annoying sometimes. I use a 75MHz PCM radio.

I don't have any recommendations for waterproof servos, sorry.

Hi Champ85

Thanks for the help. I've re calibrated it and it still plays up. I did get it wet a few weeks ago and think it is damaged...I now need a cost effective waterproof crawler ESC!

Thanks

Richard

Yeah the MC230 and 330's don't even like dense humidity let alone actual water, I have popped a couple of 330's with a sniff of the wet stuff. Unclip the base and put it in your hot water cupboard for a few days or a bowl of rice and hope for the best.

The hobbywing quicrun 1060 is a good esc for a crawler, waterproof, nimh or 2s or 3s lipo compatible forward/brake/reverse forward/brake or forward/reverse, if you have it in the latter it has drag brake. And best yet only $25 nzd shipped on ebay! At the moment I have one in a cc01 and one in a scx10 :)

Thanks for the information and advice.

The only reason I see going for either of the two more expensive ESCs would be for their higher BEC output. However I'm not sure what current a very high torque servo draws?

Thanks

Richard

Yeah the bec in the hobbywing is 5v and 2a. Although it is turning my savox 0251 with no problems. Have you considered an external bec like a castle?

That may be the best bet. I could fit the Esc and see how it goes and upgrade to an external BEC if needed

Missed part of my thought process in my earlier posts! I had a list of three

Options for a new ESC. The HobbyWing WP-1060, the RC4WD Outcry (there are some unbranded versions on eBay) or the mtroniks tio Rock C (both of which have a good BEC output). Given your comments I wonder whether the other two are worth the extra expense.

Now wondering whether to get a Hobbyking own brand servo as they are waterproof and cost effective for a high torque version.

Are you in NZ too; you quoted the price with shipping to NZ?

Thanks

Richard

Bitten the bullet....ordered the Hobbywing WP-1060, a Turnigy 5A/6V BEC and monster Turnigy MG959 V2 alloy servo (not waterproof, but mainly good reviews and probably can be waterproofed reasonably easily). I've decided that the CR-01 will begin to get some serious use now!

Thanks

Richard

Yeah I'm in the Bay of Plenty. Congrats on the purchase. What motor are you running?

Tamiya 35T Crawler Motor.

A little time to wait yet as I didn't go for the quickest postage on the Hobbyking parts.

I'm a JAFA but really an Englishman on an extended holiday.