cmarti

Anyone here is still upgrading the old F10 frame buggy?

I just upgraded a Radio Shack Golden Arrow to full bearings, Modified 19T 540 motor and hobby grade electronics including 2.4ghz transmitter.

The only thing left for me to do is upgrading the shocks, does anyone has any suggestion on which to use? The stock suspension kills it for me, the car is very fast now, maybe 40mph but bounces a lot due to the poor springs.

Some pics:

IMG_6944_zpsc43d93b4.jpg

IMG_6934_zps73f0f719.jpg

Thanks.

The bounce is introduced due to the way the rear axle is articulated. Oil dampers or softer springs won't cure this fundamental design issue, which this car shares with Tamiya's line of solid rear axle buggys and Monster Trucks, e.g. Grasshopper, Hornet, Rising Fighter and Lunchbox.

The DT-01 chassis line however uses a much improved rear suspension: Still a solid axle, but a central pivot for the gearbox and sort of almost lay-down style dampers. This works so much better with only very little bounce left.

I assume your car comes with very stiff springs, so softer springs should make it at least more adaptable for bumpy surfaces.

Nice buggy by the way. :) Good job on the bearings and electronics conversion.

Thank you GregM for replying.

The springs are super stiff, the car improved maybe a 100% with the conversion. The speed and range with the 2.4ghz is as far as your eyes can see and still you can control it.

Afraid of crashing it because it's a beauty :)

What if we use newer softer tires? This may help improve a little bit I think

You should use black CVA II mini at front end and you eliminate the bounces is the front end.

Then you can mount black CVA II short at rear end with one spring only, just one side so you will have half rate spring.

The rear linked solid axle allows you to use only one spring.

I suggest also to search for GH2 rear springs that are softer then ever and thin like an angel hair.

I also suggest to use Hornet rear wheels and tires, they are very sofe but remember to make an hole inside the rims to allows the air to exit when the tires are commpressed. If not the wheels will bounce a lot.

Max

You should use black CVA II mini at front end and you eliminate the bounces is the front end.

Then you can mount black CVA II short at rear end with one spring only, just one side so you will have half rate spring.

I suggest also to search for GH2 rear springs that are softer then ever and thin like an angel hair.

I also suggest to use Hornet rear wheels and tires, they are very sofe but remember to make an hole inside the rims to allows the air to exit when the tires are commpressed. If not the wheels will bounce a lot.

Max

Max

Hey Max,

Thanks for your response, not sure why I didn't get the notification of your post.

I did a quick goggle search for the CVA II mini and I see that it is a kit with four shocks with no springs.

Is this the right one?

Edit: Here I found a link for a kit on eBay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Tamiya-SP519-50519-RC-CVA-Mini-Damper-Shock-Unit-Set-II-/221278542684

mHdTvupE6J-m1aU9pP1SGQQ.jpg

Second Edit: I ordered these springs:

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/e11400.m1842.l5919/7?euid=be40b5103a854a15ac5e27cd47b4abc8&loc=http%3A%2F%2Fpayments.ebay.com%2Fws%2FeBayISAPI.dll%3FViewPaymentStatus%26transId%3D1019607475020%26itemId%3D301140489360%26qu%3D1%26ssPageName%3DADME%3A[blank]%3A[blank]%3AUS%3A5919&exe=9760&ext=22544&sojTags=exe=exe,ext=ext

And these tires just now:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Tamiya-RC-Grasshopper-Hornet-Frog-1-10-GENUINE-REAR-TIRES-AND-WHEELS-9805081-/131277454920?pt=Radio_Control_Parts_Accessories&hash=item1e90befe48

Hi, I didn't receive also any notification, so sorry for the late reply.

Anyway, yes , they are the right dampers.

The dampers in he picture are the mini CVA II that you will mount on front end.

For the rear end you need the short CVA II.

Please be sure to measure the lenght of your original dampers on the Nikko F10 to be sure the Tamiya fit well.

I remember the Bison F10, it is big like a Grasshopper so the dampers should fit but check it before.

The wheels and tires should also mount but I believe the Hornet tires are better because they have a similar look than Nikko tires and are more soft then Grasshopper tires you posted here.

Softer tires help to reduce bouncing.

Max

• Like 1

Thank you Max,

I ended up ordering these shocks: http://www.ebay.com/itm/131104938871

I installed a set of stock Nikko Thunderbolt shocks in the front end, they are solfter than the ones that come with the Golden Arrow.

And then intalled the front shocks of the Tamiya Stadium Blitzer kit to the back, now when the car sits in the floor the weight f the car presses the shocks a little bit so there is a more efficient dampening when running the car.

It feels much better considering the limitations of the rear axle design.

I got two other cars that also need shocks so I will look into getting the ones you suggested.

Here is a picture of the car now:

F7EB05DE-0F28-4E38-AC4D-62287716FA09_zps

B0C8EA04-78E3-4DC0-831D-07EC7F726D54_zps

I always wanted the Nikko Frame Buggy Bison F10 when I was young.
And I would upgrade like your if I'll had it.

Max

I always wanted the Nikko Frame Buggy Bison F10 when I was young.

And I would upgrade like your if I'll had it.

Max

It is pretty cool and now that it's brushless it is very fast. You can find them on eBay easily so you can still get one :)

I appreciate you taking the time to answer my questions.

I think it is normal.

I understand that these are the lower zones of the forum so they are not often visited by the members so it's not easy to have an answer but, if I can, why not answer?

I would buy a white Nikko Dictator 1 and a red Nikko Bison F10 but I've not enough money to meet all my wishes, I'm a poorman unfortunately... ;)

Max

I appreciate you taking the time to answer my questions.

• Like 1

That's good! Are you sure about the lenght?

Max

Not sure but I guess I will find out on Friday/Saturday once they get here :)

I already prepped the car removing the old spring shocks and lubricated the front arms so they move freely without efforts.

You got it Max!

(Keep scrolling down)

I clocked the speed of the car with my iPhone GPS and it reached 49mph!!

2000658C-6D4F-4A73-9C49-C4E7EEB54678_zps

Link to folder of pictures:

http://s646.photobucket.com/user/cjmarti/library/Radio%20Shack%20Flashtron%20II%20hobby%20grade%20upgrade

EBF0FDBF-D4A4-42F9-95D1-8E56CAC4E4AE_zps

Link to folder of pictures:

http://s646.photobucket.com/user/cjmarti/library/Radio%20Shack%20Flashtron%20II%20hobby%20grade%20upgrade

FE95C678-8942-463A-B20F-9C7AF651D60F_zps

On 24/9/2014 at 5:49 PM, cmarti said:

Not sure but I guess I will find out on Friday/Saturday once they get here :)

I already prepped the car removing the old spring shocks and lubricated the front arms so they move freely without efforts.

Hi cmarti (I wrote to you also in private, I hope you can answer me), I found your old discussion here about this Golden Arrow f10, because...I'm modifying a Nikko Bison f10...and watching your photos on photobucket.com....I've found out that Radio Shack Golden Arrow and Nikko Bison/Thunderbolt are the same car!!! They have the same frame! Only the car body is different!

So, as suggested here from kontemax (hey kontemax...I'm from Italy too!!!), I've ordered (and I'm waiting for) a mini and a short Tamiya CVA II shock absorbers kits. I hope I did well...but I don't know how to mount them on the car when they will arrive. So I hope you can help me. Could you please tell me how you pulled out the metal knobs of the front suspensions (to link the top of the front shock absorbers) and the ones attached to the  differential/gear box (to link the bottom of the rear shock absorbers)?

And always about the front ones, how did you link the bottom to the suspension arms? Because there isn't nothing to pull out there and it's also impossible to insert a screw (as I suppose you did for the top of the rear absorbers).

Thank you very much!!!

Alberto

I put here some photos where I specify, with a circle, the points I would like to know how pulling out the metal knob...or completely how to joint the shock absorber (lower part, front suspension harm) .

I put also twho photos of the car :)

DSC_0695.JPG

DSC_0698.JPG

DSC_0693.JPG

DSC_0701.JPG

My modified Nikko F10 Rhino with full ball bearings, Hornet wheels & tires with alloy wheel covers, oil filled alloy shocks, Traxxas Cat front end and upgraded steering.

VKO8st8h.jpg

g3YzpLYh.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, markturbo said:

My modified Nikko F10 Rhino with full ball bearings, Hornet wheels & tires with alloy wheel covers, oil filled alloy shocks, Traxxas Cat front end and upgraded steering.

****, that looks so badass

Hey,
I'm looking for new rear tires and wheels for my bison F10. Can you help me where I can buy these?
I searched the internet but did not find it. Or can I buy other tires here that also fit?
I had already been in contact with some online stores but without result.
Here are some pictures of the tires
Thanks in advance to help me.

image2.jpeg

First of all, nice modifications on these Nikko cars! They look awesome, congratulations!

I recently got my hands on a red Bison F10, which came as part of a box of cars that I bought. I stumbeled onto this thread while looking what it was exactly that I got my hands on, because the shape and running gear remined me of the grasshopper I had. Mine looks like it is complete, and it functions but needs some love as the electronics are a bit jittery (age, dust?) and the rear wing is broken but all the bits are present so it can be glued.

Having also owned Nikko cars in the eighties when I was a kid I thought it was more or less toy-grade, but it turns out I am wrong and these mods sure make it an interesting car.

Not sure to get it going again (I already have other car projects that are not finished), or to re-sell it again. Decisions, decisions....

• Thanks 1