Jamesssb

Clodbuster brushless setup

Hey all.

I am after some upgrade advice on a possible brushless motor and controller for a clodbuster. I'm after a setup which will run 2 motors and 2 controllers running on a 7.4v lipo. Can possibly run 2 battery's also.

Currently the car is running 2, 19 turn brushed motors on 1 ESC which is slow.

I am tempted to run a ESC on each motor as it will make it quicker but I am after some advice on what motor KV to go for.

I was looking at the castle creation sidewinder 3 ESC and a KV of around 4000k?

My question is: will this work or will it get to hot in the clodbuster?

Any help would be great.

Thanks.

If you go brushless, you'll have to use a separate esc for each motor. I just went through the "what do I get?" question with mine. I contacted Tekin and Novak directly for recommendations. I don't care to go real fast. I'm more interested in power. Both companies recommended around 3100kv on 2S 50C 5000mAh batteries. For real speed, most mod Clod builders go for 4600-5400kv, still on 2S 50C 5000mAh

I am running two Turnigy trackstar 4000kvs on one 2s 6000mah 65-130 in a CPE terminator (much lighter than a stock clod), but they don't even get warm. I know the battery fits in a stock clod compartment with the 7.2 brackets removed. I am pretty sure Turnigy makes a 3000 or 3300kv combo. You would have to buy the program card separately though.

Ok that's great guys. I already have a 2c 7.4v 5000 square pack that fits the stock chassis.

It was more what combos are recommended.

Any vidios or pictures of your setup's?

Don't forget that because one of the motors runs backwards, if you intend to run sensored setups you'll have to be able to reverse the rotation direction in the ESC settings as you can't swap the wires on a sensored motor.

• Like 1

Hence why I mentioned the programming card B)

This is mine, it is running 15t pinions as opposed to 13t so take that into account.

I tried it on 3s and it was a bit stupid haha.

Klausen has his on 2x castle 4600's, hopefully he pipes in with a bit of info :)

http://youtu.be/LWWtRC6mWVM

• Like 2

Yes, I have 2 x Sidewinder3 with Castle 4600kv motors in my Clod, and it runs terrific. I have dialed both systems down to 70%, which suit my needs for speed fine. I won't recommend going higher than 4600 motors, as it will run too fast. I am running it on 2s lipo. You can see more here:

http://www.tamiyaclub.com/showroom_model.asp?cid=120521&sid=32970

I know a couple of guys that have had much luck with a sidewinder3 setup with Tekin motors. I do like the Castle motors though,

If you want some closeups, of how all the electronics are wired up, just let me know.

• Like 1

Would like to see some videos... ;)

Max

Yes, I have 2 x Sidewinder3 with Castle 4600kv motors in my Clod, and it runs terrific. I have dialed both systems down to 70%, which suit my needs for speed fine. I won't recommend going higher than 4600 motors, as it will run too fast. I am running it on 2s lipo. You can see more here:

I know a couple of guys that have had much luck with a sidewinder3 setup with Tekin motors. I do like the Castle motors though,

If you want some closeups, of how all the electronics are wired up, just let me know.

This looks amazing, yes if you can post close ups of the wiring setup please.

love the videos' guys.

James.

Wiring is quite easy. You need a Y-harness for the receiver, and a parallel adapter for the battery, and then you have to set up both esc's alike, and you are good to go.

1_zpsbef4d6fc.jpg2_zps01422e29.jpg

Wiring is quite easy. You need a Y-harness for the receiver, and a parallel adapter for the battery, and then you have to set up both esc's alike, and you are good to go.

Posted ImagePosted Image

Sounds like the best way to go. Your truck looks rapid fast also.

There not the cheapest combo to get though at £130 each.

If only they were cheaper lol.

Please let me understand. If you connect both esc parallel you cut in half the mAh of the battery I suppose, or not?

So if the battery is 3600 mAh each motor will receive 1800 mAh and the proof is that the battery running time with a dual motor model is half, or not?

Thanks.

Max

Mah. is the same, you just devide the juice between the 2 motors. Ofcourse you can say there is half for each. I run 5000 mah. in my Clod, and runnning times are 15-20 minutes.

The only way to have full running time is a totally separated circuit from battery to motor, so two batteries and two escs, each one for each motor I suppose.

Anyway 20 minutes is really good, there is enough time to get bored.

Max

I'm gonna run dual batteries in mine, but the Predator has dual battery slots. It'd be a shame not to use both!

• Like 1

Hey guys.

Anyone know if 2 off these kits would work?

They look great on paper. Would I need to play with the gearing at all?

Posted Image

I am almost positive that the cans are too long. The normal Castle motors I have in mine, just barely allow me to have servo over the axle.

I tried a pair of 550 sixed silver cans in mine, but quickly realised they interfered with the suspension links.

Anything much beyond 52mm can length with be an issue, dependent upon the links you use. You may be OK with that Castle motor, its quoted at 53mm can length in a modified chassis where you can adjust the link arm mounting points (angle).

In a stock Clodbuster chassis witht he plastic link arms you'll probably have clearance issues as Klausen said.

I just bought a '550 class 3800kV' motor from eBay - it was claimed to be 55mm long; only arrived yesterday so not had chance to measure the real thing to check.

I went for it!

They fit perfectly and should be ample. I am going to use the castle link to set them up with a reduced power and punch to start

2ac4afbd903231fafa8d498ec347db3c.jpg045240fcddb925d334ef18325b439890.jpg05a0fe300078b192a0ddd69479a3f837.jpg

I have added aluminium to the chassis to strengthen it also. I will at some point make a custom chassis.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Pictures off them installed.

I have set the brake to 20% and also the punch to 50%

I have also set the max power to 50% for now.

Just need to get out to a field to test it out.

It's not bad for speed at the moment.

James.

• Like 2

Great choice, I love mine. I have mine set to 70% power, and it suits it fine on 2s lipo imo.

Looking great! I may have missed it but what kv motors did you go for?