Sign in to follow this  
Gamester

Best filler epoxy/glue/resin?

Hey guys,

I'm doing a custom RC project that requires mounting a hub hex into a wheel without screws. I need to fill the inside area of the wheel around the hex hub with something that will hold very strong yet still have a little flex for the wheel.

What do you guys recommend for this? Some kind of glue, expoxy, resin or something?

Thanks!

Yea, I've never had much luck with epoxies. I thought about JB weld, but it is going to be too thick and hard to manage for this project. I actually need something that is strong that is a little runny to fill the area when applied and can be applied precisely as this is a small 1/24 scale project I'm working on.

What is this fiberglass stuff this guy used at 1:17?...

Anyone have experence with that?

If you use JB weld epoxy glue, after mixing it, heat it up with a hair drier and it will becomes runny. Apply the glue with a tooth pick to the area.

Yea, toothpick applying isn't going to work for this as it is too messy and unpredictable. It is a tiny area and I can't get anything on the back side of the tiny hex.

I need something that will be very strong and pours almost a liquid so it can be applied precisely.

In the video he says fibre glass but I reckon he's talking about epoxy resin? That's what it looks like (just green)...

Araltide would be runny at first and somewhat flexible after it's dried.

Yea, I'm not sure exactly what he is using. I'm going to go peruse the hardware store tomarrow to see what I can find.

Thanks

I found Araldite doesn't always go completely solid and can flake off plastics. Probably the best stuff I've used was call "Chemical Metal", comes in two tubes and mixes like Araldite but has a dark metallic grey colour. It's quite gooey when mixed but will run into any recesses and once fully hardened it goes rock hard. Can be drilled, sanded and shaped and sticks very well.

I first used it on motorbike repairs so find it in DIY and auto parts stores.

I just got back from the hardware store and got a 3500PSI epoxy from Loctite called Plastic Bond and some syringes for the application. Its thicker than what I wanted, but I guess I'll try warming it up first. I don't think we have Araldite in the states, but there were a LOT of other epoxys. I'm testing the stuff now to see if it is going to bond like I need it to; it has a 24 hour dry time.