Grativo

Another Wild Willy M38

I've had a Wild Willy since I was a kid about 11 years old, and I recently brought it out of storage to fix it up. So then I'm looking for parts and restoration tips, and I discover an entire community of people with similar projects! I thought I'd join you guys and share a picture...

o0092e.jpg

I learned from this board that I've got the short wheelbase version. As you can see the tires are in awful shape and the wheels need a good cleaning. The rear tires I'm trying are the closest 1.9 tire my local hobby shop carried but it's not a great fit on the rims and doesn't look so hot either. I hope I can source some authentic replacements. The good news is the body is in excellent shape, with no cracks or missing bits. (The only reason it looks so good is that I broke the original body so badly my dad bought me a new one to replace it. Thanks Dad! I still have the first body too, with no grill and a one-armed driver and lots of glue holding it together...)

So far I've cleaned out the gearbox and differential, putting in bearings where it takes them. It runs great with the original electronics, a Kraft KP2K radio. There is some surface rust on the front bumper springs and body mounts. The rear wheelie springs were worn almost to the point of breaking, so the weird colored plastic circles you can kind of see are some plastic covers that are made to snap on your keys to identify them - I'm using them to protect the last pits of metal and it doesn't interfere with the wheelie ability!

• Like 3

Welcome aboard, Grativo! That's a very nice Jeep! :)

Replacement tires will not be easy to find, but I can see you've already found some tires for it. Anyway, the Jeep body seems to be in great shape. I'd say that's a nice specimen. The SWB Wild Willy is not that easy to find! ;)

Yay, go Willy!

It looks in very good condition Gravito. I'm a big fan of the 'old' Willy, they have a character all their own. I have some spares, not a lot but if you need anything, ask on here. There's a lot of 'closet' Willy fans out there, most of them are on here.:-)

More pictures will earn you brownie points.

• Like 1