Sign in to follow this  
Demoniac

Fitting MFC-01 in Tamiya 1850L

Hi!

I know this might belong more in the Big rigs category, but it can be relevant for all types of cars.

I didn't know that the MFC is supposed to be hogging up all the space in the cabin, I don't like that. I thought that it would use the tray beneath the box, but I guess the ESC gets too hot under there, and it's a bit too high, so you'll have to cut through the floor on the box... This was my initial plan, but I would like the possibility to keep the box all intact. The speaker can be fitted underneath the roof as it's supposed to be, of course you'll see some of it through the windshields, but at least the interior will be intact.

Plan B:

This might be impossible, and a bit crazy - Desoldering the voltage regulators and wiring them up to an external PCB, placed where a typical ESC would be mounted. Also removing the top board if it's still to tall, and wire it up to fit on the side.

The screw mounts for the vintage sound board will be removed, and maybe I'll also cut through the tray and mold in the bottom plate for the MFC, so it can be properly mounted. I'm not sure about this yet, but that would be the best way to get it as low as possible.

The MFC is supposed to be mounted with a thick foam tape, is this necessary? Will it be ruined if it is screwed to the frame instead?

bilde.JPG

Are the voltage regulators the only parts which gets really hot? Can I still have the rest of the MFC beneath the box "without" any cooling?

Is this a stupid idea...?

Btw, I want to post a picture, but it says "You have exceeded your allotted disk space for attachments"

Ah, that's yours?! I've used that site for help while building my kit. Tried finding out how much grease you used before the gearbox from the pictures etc :P

Got so angry when I did everything I could to make sure the 3g ceramic grease lasted throughout the build, and when I started working on the MFC; "Now what's this, another tube of grease?"... Well, at least I haven't used too much.

Regarding the MFC, I want my box to be intact, I want the bottom plate to be there, and a bunch of pallets with stuff inside the box.

My idea was therefore to have only the biggest board in the tray, and wire the top board so it can be somewhere else. I thought I could fit them both in the tray, but that's not gonna happen. But underneath the box I'm afraid the ESC would be too hot, so I'm thinking of desoldering it and mounting it outside the box, where Tamiya's suggested location for the speed controller was. I'm not sure if this would work, but I hope so...

Also, I need somewhere to put the small board and the vibration unit... The small board might fit in the cabin, as long as it doesn't get very varm? The vibration unit - having a hard time finding somewhere to put it...