Here is a short video of my GF-01 in action.

I put my old Wild willy body on, because the toyota body is getting another destination and the new WW body is not done yet..

• Like 11

Hi,

Newbie here and I am getting myself a GF01 kit. What esc/motor setup are you using? Are the stock gears holding up well? Thanks!

Hi Burakol,

welcome! If you are pretty new to RC cars I would suggest you start with the stock motor and ESC. I have a 4000 kv 4 pole hobbywing brushless motor with the 120A ESC. The gears are holding for now, but they will break someday. My set-up is a bit much for this car :D

Hi, thanks. Im actually a public school teacher and sponsoring an after school clib for middle school students. We are fortunate to get enough funds to buy some kits. I will be doind a lot of research for sure.

then I would definitely advise to use the stock motor. If you want to invest to improve the models, the best option would be ball bearings. Please keep us updated on your progress! What a cool project for your students!!

• Like 1

then I would definitely advise to use the stock motor. If you want to invest to improve the models, the best option would be ball bearings. Please keep us updated on your progress! What a cool project for your students!!

+1 keep it stock but fit ball bearings . The motor pinion gear is also worth replacing with a steel one - the tamiya one's wear out in no time .

The pinion is indeed well worth upgrading, but the rest of the geartrain is pretty darn tough, and as long as you ballrace it, you should have many miles of trouble-free running even with an upgraded motor.

So, tell us more about your after-school club! Sounds like a great idea. We had something similar at our school back in the day, but with RC gliders, and it was a lot of fun. We even held competitions against another nearby school that had a similar club.

I should have made it more clear... the kits that we bought are actually tt chasis... 2 c/o tamiya usa, 3 that we purchased, 1 that was donated... so six tt01e in total...

The gf01 will be my personal kit.... but yeah, i will keep you guys updated but maybe in a different section of the forum.... i usually loiter around ultmaterc.com but the site has been down for two weeks now... i am still in the process of learning about rc myself so it as bummer... luckily, i found this great forum which is geared directly towards tamiya stuff since it is the brand that we will be using afterall...

Going back to the gf01, any particular brand of bearings? I looked at towerhobbies.com and a set of ball bearing from them was about 30+ usd, whereas on ebay and amazon, it was half the price.... i will probably go mild brushless as well after i tried the stock torque tuned motor....

I have the ebay bearings in all my models... no probs what so ever.. and running smooth..

Great to know! Thanks... are there any news regarding any hopups for the gf01? do you mind letting me know what upgraded parts you have in yours besides the bearings, motor and esc?