Vrooom666

Gluing the tyres onto rim but easy to pull it off if needed.

I am sick of using superglue to glue the rim and tyre togother. they can be harsh when its time to remove the tyres. i want to use something that are easy to pull it off if needed to be.

Shoe goo?

or any other type of glue ?

The trick is to not overdo it - I you only need a few 'dots' of glue. I've had wheels in the past where people have used a bead of super glue the entire way round the rim!

If it's stiff Tamiya tires you're talking about, you don't really need glue at all. If the wheels slip inside the tires, just put a rubber band in the wheel groove and put the tire over it. Stops the slipping, but no permanent attachment.

If you're talking about soft race tires, superglue is still the best bet. And they should be glued all the way around for soft compounds, so the tire doesn't pull away at odd places and cause handling problems. For most race tires/wheels, you're meant to throw away the wheels when the tires wear out, but boiling water sometimes works. And sometimes it melts or deforms the wheel, so attempt at your own risk...

I started using shoe goo for the very same reasons, the tires will pull off the rim with a good tug using shoe goo. I wanted to be able to switch tires on my crawler as 0 offset beadlocks are non existant. Works perfect.

This is what I have been using. The problem with spot-glueing (off road) is that dirt, sand, water, etc. will get it's way into the bead of the tire and will add weight to the tire and make it out of balance and really heavy - I had this happen with sand and it was a pain (apologies gruntfuggly, just my experience). And if you did use super glue, you are still stuck trying to figure out how to get the tire off in the end, might as well just glue the whole bead. Glueing is kind of a necessary evil, acetone will help make it less of a pain. I know some say it will ruin the foams, for general use, I have re-used the foams just fine. The only downside I have seen to using acetone is that for super soft racing tires such as J-Concepts Barcodes, it will harden the rubber a bit. For any other tire, it has no ill affect on the rubber.

Good luck!

@JeepnMike - :P you're never going to keep sand out! I guess it's choice of less glue with ease of getting the sand out again, or more glue and trying to keep it out.

As this thread proves - there's plenty of ways to skin a cat (so to speak) - you have to try a few things and see what works for you. B)

• Like 1

Maybe i am a weirdo, but i used loctite superglue once and never again. Its far too good so to speak, infact its too thick. R/c spec cyano is far far thinner, hence why once a few spots around the rim is all that is needed. Then gravity takes over and the glue slowly runs over the whole rim and tyre. Completing the seal between tyre and wheel but also being thin enough to allow a good tug for removal if needed without damage.

I have never ever had an issue over the last 16 years of racing onroad with removing tyres using ultra thin r/c cyano glue. Use super glue and its ultra thick in comparison and it will not run/flow the same at all, and then tyre removal is almost impossible without damage.

Although why you want to remove tyres from wheels? Only time I have even removed a tire froma wheel is from race rim damage. Or buying 2nd hand.

James

:)

For me, CA is the only way to go.

I use 4 - 6 drops of thin CA on each side of rim, capillary action draws enough in to stick nicely for on and off road. I do not run anything hotter that 17.5T so maybe more would be needed in the faster classes.

I do confess to being a bit of a tight botty though, so I do reuse all my rims. I have a hideous jar full of acetone that I use to remove the old tyres. I cut the centre band of the tyre off, leaving just the two beads that are glued, makes it easier for the acetone to get to where it needs to be, then into the jar they go, 24 - 48 hours later the rubber bands just fall off. Rinse the rims in soap and water and they are ready to use again. I have reused rims at least 6 - 8 times this way, probably more. The same jar of acetone just keeps getting reused, I just top it up as it needs it. The big tin of acetone I use to fill the jar has lasted for ages, it has easily paid for itself in reused rims.

I have mates who use much more CA than I and it usually takes a bit longer in the acetone.

C..

Its easy..

Use Nylon rims/wheels..

Glue the tyres on with superglue/CA all the way around the bead..

Drop them in Acetone for a few hours when you want or need to remove the tyres..

Use some Acetone on a rag to remove excess superglue from the wheels bead..

Fit new tyres to the old rims, glue with superglue..

Repeat again when tyres need to be replaced..

Just like boiling rims (like I mentioned earlier) will not work for all materials, I wanted to warn that acetone can have a horrible effect if it's used on material that isn't inert to it. I mangled up a brand new set of Tamiya Levant rims with that (trying to remove the paint)...

Its easy..

Use Nylon rims/wheels..

Glue the tyres on with superglue/CA all the way around the bead..

Drop them in Acetone for a few hours when you want or need to remove the tyres..

Use some Acetone on a rag to remove excess superglue from the wheels bead..

Fit new tyres to the old rims, glue with superglue..

Repeat again when tyres need to be replaced..

Glad you mentioned Nylon rims :)

Tamiya abs rims melt like butter in acetone

Just an FYI, you don't have to submerge the wheel in Acetone. The fumes will melt the CA glue.

I pour about 2" of acetone in a small container. Then I suspend the wheels by wire or thin rope in bucket. I then place a lid on bucket and leave for 24 to 48 hours.

When you open the bucket, you will see the acetone has darkened in colour from the melted glue. Tyres usually pull right off the rims.

• Like 1