WelshHornet

540 battery life + number of turns in a Dt02/HB?

Hi guys

After some advice.

I have a spare re-re Holiday Buggy that I want to put a 540 into for the Mrs, if I wanted the best running time with a 540 motor what sort of turns should I be looking at? If i was to buy something new and cheap (<£10) like a Saturn motor, would going over 30 turns increase the battery life a lot over a stock silver can? Top speed isn't an issue here provided it goes faster than I walk :ph34r: but I also know the HB shell isn't light. The battery is a new 3300mah, buggy has metal bearings.

So 540 options:

Stock Mabuchi Silver can, (27 turns?)

Tamiya Torque Tuned (25 turns?)

Or buy something cheap off the bay that is 30t +

[Mods please feel free to boot over to the RE-RE forum if you feel this is too specific to the HB]

Stating the obvious but the lower the turns the shorter the run time.

There's not going to be much difference between a silver can and a Torque Tuned, barely noticeable unless you timed the battery life.

A 35T motor will give you a bit more run time - maybe add 5 minutes to a 30 minute battery pack. Move to 45T and you'd see 45-50 minutes (cf 30 minutes).

Torque Tuned and Sport tuned motors are very cheap from Banzaihobby website, just use the SAL shipping option (delivery typically 10-12 days).

There are Absima rebuildable motors on ebay for £15 delivered - I just put a 50T one in a CR-01 but not run it yet (I have a CR tuned 35T in my other CR-01)

You only have two pinion gear options on the DT-02 chassis - a 35T motor on the 19T pinion should be ok speed wise, slow enough for easy control and avoidign any damaging hits, but it might be a bit boring trundling it around for 45-50 minutes ??

As Percymon has said, running a higher turn motor will increase runtime, but at the cost of speed..

Maybe you could look at one of these cheap RC4WD crawler motors, say in a 45 or 55 turn..

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/540-Crawler-Brushed-Motor-by-RC4WD-CHOOSE-35-45-55-65-or-80T-Bullet-Connectors-/121197501808?pt=UK_ToysGames_RadioControlled_JN&var=&hash=item1c37ef1d70

You may get a better deal if you search eBay yourself though... (I'm in Australia)

I put a 55 turn motor in a TL01 fitted with larger wheels / tires off the CC01 chassis (Toureg, Pajero metaltop wide, Wrangler) for my nephew to learn to drive, and it would run for near an hour on a 3300 mAh battery, and speed was better than a fast walking pace..

While not as simple a solution, switching to a brushless motor & ESC combo and/or LiPo battery technology would give you much longer run times.

• Like 1

Hi guys thanks for the replies.

SteveU30, Lipo and brushless are being saved for faster and better models so I'm keen to make this spare HB nice for her to run around in instead of me boring her to death whilst adjusting my Cr01.(which has a 55t Axial orange can in it.) I just got a DT-03 kit which came with one of these new brushless ready ESCs by Tamiya so I will fit that to something else in the fleet and I saw another thread on here about compatible brushless + sensored motors that will work with it.

Backlash, RC4wd have a 35turn for a good price and it sounds like that would be economic without being too slow and is worth a shot at that price as I'm aiming for around a 30 minute run time which fits in with what Percymon was saying.

Cheers

• Like 1

Hi guys just to update,

I bought a cheap HPi 35t motor off of ebay and used a 17t Tamiya pinion in the Holiday buggy, it runs smoothy & has a very linear power delivery that's perfect for someone who's new to RC. Motor choice came down to cost (<£10 delivered), as it's one of several projects/builds. I'm saving the Tamiya Torque tuned motor for something more special. I haven't tested running time yet but just from messing around it looks like a very nice combination and well suited to a HB. Cheers all.