Sign in to follow this  
LunchBash

Karazy Fast Blitzer Beatle Ideas...

Hello Hello Hello,

Hi, Ok I have just decided to build a second Tamiya model car and following on from my Lunch box (which has had a lot of mods), I have decided that I want SPEED... Krazy speed...

So the plan is go nuts! I reckon up the voltage, start with a camel hump NIMH (yeah 11.1v LIPO would be sweet but expensive) probberly 8.4v or 9.6v mixed with a quicker brushed motor 14t Losi motor if it can handle the volts.

An Etronix probe ESC could handle 8.4v and shouldn't mind a Losi motor. Another plus is both are cheaper then standard Tamiya 27t stuff.

Well maybe not.

Shocks, I may just see what I can get out of the Tamiya CVA's but will have to be firmer for roads, also I have some lunch box springs going spare. great if you want very hard suspension on CVA's.

Obviously need a 2.4 Ghz radio but that's a must on any car in my opinion and a Mr T driver.

Tyres.... Ok I'll get back to you on tyres.

This could take awhile as I do have a real car to keep on the road and a GF to keep happy, shall be an on going thread, if any one has any ideas, advice or just wants to see how things are going please post away.

Ando

I have a 3s lipo powered 9t brushless blitzer. It's mental, wheelies at 40mph.

Proline Dirt works are great tyres for the blitzer.

My Blitzer Beetle is running a 2S LiPo, Tamiya Acto Pink motor and a fairly generic LiPo-safe speedo. Maybe an etronix Probe? It has generic ball bearings and also has a lexan HPI Firestorm shell which reduces weight and lowers the COG. Otherwise it's totally stock, with kit tyres; even the shocks are built to standard spec.

It doesn't lift the front wheels from a standstill but will loft a torque wheelie as it picks up speed, flat out it feels very fast on the terrain where I usually run. It's probably my favourite Tamiya runner if I've got a nice big space in which to run it.

Handling isn't great - even with the lightweight battery and shell it still squats, dives and rolls very badly. Stiffer springs and shocks might stop the body roll but might make it too skittish. It's a fine balance on something that weighs so little.

The rear tyres dig in well off the line but as soon as the power is cut it goes into uncontrollable oversteer - it's really not a car for precise racetrack driving; like most Tamiyas it seems to be best at doing impressive stunts and long crazy spins. It's about as fast as I'd like it to be - any faster and the somewhat basic suspension and chassis design would be totally overwhelmed. Maybe some careful tuning with better shocks, modified turnbuckles and more suitable tyres would improve it a little but it's never going to handle like a proper race car - and for similar money there are some very good race truggies out there now.

I run mostly on dusty tarmac and surprisingly the rear tyres have lasted well. I really thought they'd have been killed by now. Perhaps the lack of immediate torque from the Acto Pink helps - it doesn't seem to have much power off the line but once it's rolling it really gets going.

I'll be really interested to see what you do and how it performs for you, and if you can come up with any simple tuning tricks so you can actually drive it, as well as doing straight-line passes on the back wheels :)

"Handling isn't great - even with the lightweight battery and shell it still squats, dives and rolls very badly. Stiffer springs and shocks might stop the body roll but might make it too skittish. It's a fine balance on something that weighs so little."

The car squats because is missing the rear anti squat set up. I don't understand why Tamiya doesn't make these models with the anti squat. You cannot solve the problem easly.

If it dives too much probably the springs and the oil set up are too soft.

It rolls very badly due the high center of gravity. Do you use the original plastic body? The solution could be a couple of anti sway bars at front and rear ends. But you must do them by yourself. A lighter polycarbonate body will be usefull. Parma does them.

"The rear tyres dig in well off the line but as soon as the power is cut it goes into uncontrollable oversteer - it's really not a car for precise racetrack driving; like most Tamiyas it seems to be best at doing impressive stunts and long crazy spins. It's about as fast as I'd like it to be - any faster and the somewhat basic suspension and chassis design would be totally overwhelmed."

This is due the lack of rear toe in. The rear toe degrees are neutral, 0°. Probably changing the rear hubs the problem should be solved. Another reason is the short wheelbase.

"Maybe some careful tuning with better shocks, modified turnbuckles and more suitable tyres would improve it a little but it's never going to handle like a proper race car - and for similar money there are some very good race truggies out there now."

Yes, for sure. The wheels angle is very important for stability and traction. Probably you should help the car against the rollings.

"Perhaps the lack of immediate torque from the Acto Pink helps - it doesn't seem to have much power off the line but once it's rolling it really gets going."

This sounds strange. The pink Acto Power motor is specificaly made for off road 2wd use and has a lot of torque. In fact is a 14 x 2, so it is not so bad. I used it on my Dyna Storm on the track and the car did wheelies. Maybe the Blitzer Beetle is heavier.

Max

Ha ha WolfDog that is crazy and definitely better then the usual youtube videos...

I will be purchasing the Blitzer in a weeks time and upgrading it with a HPI firestorm 15t brushed motor, esc also from HPI.

That's not going to break any records but heading in the right direction.

A 9.6v hump bat. will help it along and as for tyres i'll have a look into those prolines.

I will eventually go LIPO and brushless but for now and with a kid on the way I'd better keep it cheap.

Great advice Mad Ax and Konte, you have answered a problem that I wasn't even aware of till now ie Body roll and toe in.

Yeah There are better race cars available but as with my LunchBox the fun is solving those problems and creating something wacky.

Andy...