bromvw

Pumpkin Low Rider - Wheel options

While i like the look of the pumpkin Lowrider i find the Kit wheels a let down . Whats the options to change them using MO6 wheels maybe from another kit and what off set would i need in order to better fill arches ?

As it comes the track width just looks wrong IMO .

If anyone has any photos or links to images of Customised MO6 lowriders feel free to post them .

• Like 1

Have you taken a look at the HPI Cup Racer wheels available Brom? The Watanabes come in various offsets and would look great on a Pumpkin IMO.

The issue I see is that you're stuck with the having to buy the special tires also. Has anyone put a set of 1/10 scale sedan tires on their low ride pumpkin? I've been wanting one of these ever since their release as I've been working on a hotrod Midnight pumpkin body that would go great on this chassis.

I think I need to design some Kragers or a proper torque thrust for it. I have already modeled the correct wheel template with the factory tires which I used to make the Fiat 500 sport wheels on my Fiat 500. Let me know if you are interested. They are pricey to print though, around $60 USD.

14994096540_5734ee17fe_z.jpg

I think I need to design some Kragers or a proper torque thrust for it. I have already modeled the correct wheel template with the factory tires which I used to make the Fiat 500 sport wheels on my Fiat 500. Let me know if you are interested. They are pricey to print though, around $60 USD.

14994096540_5734ee17fe_z.jpg

Thats a little beyond what i was wanting to spend Pinto . Ideally i'am looking for a ' off the peg ' solution

Have you taken a look at the HPI Cup Racer wheels available Brom? The Watanabes come in various offsets and would look great on a Pumpkin IMO.

i'll take a look mate - good idea

EDIT Chrome MX60 8 spokes might look the business fitted with some scale looking rubber

HPI has a couple styles that I think would look perfect depending on how you finish the truck. Posted ImagePosted Image

• Like 2

What about these HPI Cupracer Datsun wheels? They are 4 spokes instead of the usual 5 spokes, but with some flat silver paint and maybe a black wash they can look right under a Pumpkin body. The wheels are also a bit bigger, but the tires have the same outer diameter so they will give it a better hotrod look.

HPI-BMW-2002-Cup-Racer-Kit-07.png

ABC Hobby also has a few classic style wheels that might suit it. They are the normal Tamiya size though.

HPI has a couple styles that I think would look perfect depending on how you finish the truck. 8bcd6b757b801d4f163eaec6b9b1fdec.jpg

These, definitely these. They look like a muscle car / hotrod wheel. Perhaps in silver though, I'm not keen on chrome :P

Like emory and Reilluor above, I'm partial to the HPI Vintage wheels.As you can see in my sig, they fill out the wheel well/body of a hot rod-style M-class body very nicely, especially with the wide/31mm in the rear.

3815_3815_04p_800_600.jpg

The wheels that come with that kit are leftovers from the M04L VW Beetle...just a terrible cop-out by Tamiya, IMO.

Here's a lowrider Pumpkin by Tamiyaclub member cardesigner that has simliar wheels so you can get a better idea of what they look like with the body:

http://www.tamiyaclub.com/showroom_model.asp?cid=92010

Good luck!

Like emory and Reilluor above, I'm partial to the HPI Vintage wheels.As you can see in my sig, they fill out the wheel well/body of a hot rod-style M-class body very nicely, especially with the wide/31mm in the rear.

3815_3815_04p_800_600.jpg

The wheels that come with that kit are leftovers from the M04L VW Beetle...just a terrible cop-out by Tamiya, IMO.

Here's a lowrider Pumpkin by Tamiyaclub member cardesigner that has simliar wheels so you can get a better idea of what they look like with the body:

http://www.tamiyaclub.com/showroom_model.asp?cid=92010

Good luck!

got a part number or link please Lawdog ? Those are exactly the look i'am wanting . They fill the arche perfectly giving it a far better and lower/ meaner appearance .

They have a good resemblance to an American Racing Torq Thrust and an Astro Supreme. Perfect for the pumpkin

" HPI Racing Vintage 5-Spoke Wheel 26mm Matte Chrome"

Part number 3815

"HPI Racing Vintage 5-Spoke Wheel 31mm Matte Chrome"

Part number 3820

I think the hpi wheels in lawdogs picture and the ones in the showroom entry look like two different sets of wheels and tyres.

For me the ones in the showroom entry look a little on the large side (personal opinion) for a pumpkin.

The Vintage wheels do look nice, I think the 26mm with 0 offset will fit fine, the +3 maybe with some negative camber or some gentle persuasion to the thick styrene guards especially if you want it slammed, I am not confident the 31mm will fit just looking at room under the guards, but more than happy to be proven wrong :)

I have a photo of mine on Tamiya matte chrome mini wheels (monte carlo) which looks ok. But if you are going for the hotrod look then some wheels with a bit of offset would certainly be the ticket B)

The way i see it clearance / rubbing issues should be a easy fix because as you say there is plenty of styrene thickness that can be reduced . IMO slam it to the max , fit some Dub rims and go for a real Hot Rod look . Shame on Tamiya for being too lazy to provide some decent wheels in the kit but we've seen it all before - think Sand Rover ReRe when they did'nt even make a good job of fitting the body to a mis matched chassis .

I guess that's what makes TC fun . We improve on what Tamiya design lol

BTW for anyone after a Lowrider kit i found this on Ebay - and you can even collect it from your local Argos store if your in the UK !

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-58594-TAMIYA-LOWRIDE-MIDNIGHT-PUMPKIN-M-06-1-12-RADIO-CONTROL-KIT-R-C-/311137105681?pt=UK_ToysGames_RadioControlled_JN&hash=item4871377711

" HPI Racing Vintage 5-Spoke Wheel 26mm Matte Chrome"

Part number 3815

"HPI Racing Vintage 5-Spoke Wheel 31mm Matte Chrome"

Part number 3820

Emory beat me to it...

Tires are #4793 for fronts, #4797 for rears. Cheers!

There are I think 3 different tire choices, but the tires and rims are specific to each other. The outside face has a false sidewall that fakes a taller profile.

Here's a better pic of them on my M04L Beetle:

3181403.JPG

those look as though they will suit the Lowrider pumpkin perfectly

So I've started my Lowride Pumpkin kit, got it to the point where I need to sort the wheels.  I never had any intention of using the hideous Beetle ones supplied in the kit :

58594_5.jpg

I know what I want it to look like, and it's not the usual huge-diameter rims stuffed up inside the arches, I think that looks awful.  I want almost the opposite look - low-profile tyres stretched over super-wide deep-dish wheels that are the widest part of the vehicle.  The watercooled-VW boys adopt this style, kinda like this :

vwmania0214.jpg

I like those "HPI Racing Vintage 5-Spoke Matte Chrome" wheels mentioned above, for a more authentic hotrod look.  But even at 31mm I don't think they'll do what I need.  Although they're 7mm wider than stock, they have a 6mm offset.  As far as I understand it, that'll only give me a 1mm increase in overall width (I'm assuming the stock rims are zero offset).

Any advice ?  I don't care what it handles like, and I'm happy to reshape the arches a bit for steering clearance, it's all about getting the look right.  I don't want to go any further with the kit until I know I'll be happy with it.  I could cut up wheels and make my own composite ones but that could get expensive/messy.

one possibility that might help achieve the stretched 'Euro' look of the tyre on the rim is to use HPI 26mm tyres on a  31mm rim - not sure how well it would work but might be worth a google ? 

The rims are available 0,+3,+6 dependent upon style.  

You could add 1mm of shims/washers between the mounted hex and the inner wheel face to gain a  little more track width (you should still have sufficient axle thread for the wheel nut and plenty of contact between wheel and the hex faces (or try to find some slightly thicker wheel hexes.

you may be able to stretch Tamiya M chassis radial or 60 radial tyres to the wider HPI 31mm width too - never tried it to know how compatible they are.

there i also this thread..

http://www.scale4x4rc.org/forums/showthread.php?t=80962

which doesn't give a stretched sloping tyre sidewall, but does show the rim protruding outside the tyre line

• Like 1

Thanks Percymon.  If my local model shop doesn't mind me messing about opening packets I might be able to try some combinations out there.

If I can get the look I want, I realise it'll probably only be any good for very gentle driving or even just as a static model but we'll see.

I didn't mind the wheels so much, rather it was the tyres - although I wasn't going for the slammed Low-ride look of course...

I ended up narrowing the stock wheels and fitting Sand Scorcher front tyres all round for a retro look:

P1020643_zps6qnxkrjp.jpg

Full build story here: 

Jenny x

• Like 3