GregM

GregM's model kit builds

Since my better half does a lot of Cosplay on Comic conventions, I come along with her and some friends several times in the year to visit places all around Germany. On the Leipzig book fair 2013, I came across some Pokémon model kits from Bandai. The seller had several of these, ranging from rather small to fairly big. I thought to myself, why not trying one of these, so I ended up with a Pikachu.

These Bandai PokéPla kits are a quite simple build affair. The manual is in Japanese, but the supplied pictures explain pretty much everything. All parts are already molded in their colours, so there's no need for painting. Small details like eye highlights come as decals. The completed models usually feature a few articulated joints.

Here's a build video for you.

Cute, isn't it?

• Haha 1

I guess you don't have to think of doing box art or not. :D

I wouldn't buy it, but I think it will look nice if one has the entire collection and display them in those arcylic display case. But be warn, Japan has millions of these characters from thumb size to 300mm or larger, cute, sexy, deadly to just out right bad and you'll go broke trying to collect them all. There is a flavour to these characters and rc and die caste are more then enough for me.

On two Comic conventions (Animagic Bonn and Animaco Berlin) this year, I attended the model kit workshops. Within 4 hours each, I built two small sized Manga model kits. This involved getting rid of molding flash, lots of cutting and sanding, cleaning, spray priming, careful brush painting of small details, glueing the parts together - and last but not least steady hands. :)

Any interest in pictures? Keep in mind that I was at the workshops to learn more about painting techniques, so please do not expect perfect results. But I think this experience will also be hopefully helpful for any future R/C car kit builds, too.

Thanks for being interested. Sorry, I'll show you their pics later. One of the finished kits will be slighty rebuild, since some parts broke off accidentally.

However, I'll show you another build I just started today.

th_1363_zps135117d7.jpg
Introducting the YF-19 Egg Plane from Hasegawa. The prototype is the Shinsei Industry YF-19 of the Macross Plus animation. Hasegawa's Egg-Planes are a series of cute super-deformed airplane models. This is a plastic model kit bought via Amazon.de for 13 Euro from a Japanese marketplace seller.

Lets get this straight: The mobile phone pictures from the first day didn't turn out that well. I'll be using a proper camera later on for the further progress.

th_WP_20141206_001_zpsc3f61ac4.jpg
Ahhh... that fine drawn boxart. You'll find photographic pictures on the sides, like shown above.

th_WP_20141206_002_zps8228d73c.jpg th_WP_20141206_004_zpsa1f929d4.jpg
A peek in the box shows parts trees in several colours, underneath is the manual (Japanese, English, German) as well as a decal sheet.

th_WP_20141206_006_zpsf9c9353d.jpg th_WP_20141206_008_zpsdf023566.jpg
Let's start by cutting the parts from the sprues, followed by removing the molding flash. The suspension parts will stay on the tree for making painting easier.

th_WP_20141206_009_zps660c74ee.jpg
Loose test fit. I think you get an idea how the whole plane will look someday.

Please stay tuned for updates. :)

• Like 2

SAM_4677_zpssldmiic6.jpg

I had a bit of a paint and primer disaster that involved stripping all the parts with Methoxypropanol PM. However, I recently restarted the build, here's some progress with the tiny, tiny pilots bust and additinal parts.

SAM_4678_zpsbaniogzr.jpg

The bust is roughly 70% done, it needs some refinement, shading and gloss clear (helmet) and flat clear (clothing). The visor is clear green on white primer. The bust is the size of a thumb's nail.

SAM_4679_zpskuh6lmvu.jpg

Two clear detail parts that will be added to the main hull. For these unprimed parts, it helps if the paint is only thinned down a little, so it sticks by itself. Don't forget degreasing the parts beforehand.

Meanwhile, I did another build in the last 12 months.

th_SAM_4064_zpskgx8o229.jpg th_SAM_4074_zpsawjytrvh.jpg

Let me introduce you to Frankenstein's penguin, seen on the right (pic 1) and on the left (pic 2). This is a garage/resin kit with a limited production run handed out by my local garage kit club called Modelkit Universe. Please don't mind the other miscellaneous stuff around.

SAM_4309_zpsvtulsxgq.jpg

SAM_4310_zps2pbq5qzz.jpg

When I was done filling and smoothing the surface, I brush painted the model. After that, I started scratch building a baseplate made of plywood, using a small circular saw and a hand saw.

SAM_4295_zpsycjusvjd.jpg

SAM_4297_zpswyk8rfbo.jpg

SAM_4300_zpsoogcuuhg.jpg

SAM_4312_zpsmkvybj2v.jpg

More filling, smoothing, engraving and priming.

SAM_4402_zpsznvuxwr9.jpg

SAM_4403_zpstmxb23fl.jpg

Attaching styrene sheet tiles to the base.

WP_20160402_005_zpsbijd46u0.jpg

After careful brush painting and chalk-shading the base and gravestone, the chalk was fixed using a flat clearcoat from a spray can. Then, I added some model grass and moss, and finally, Frankenstein's Penguin itself.

SAM_4675_zpsn7sji73p.jpg

SAM_4676_zpst8pn6c5q.jpg

Done! :)

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Double post alert, lol.

I call him Frank N. Peng. Please see the previous posts for further descriptions.

sam55018lfgv.jpg

sam5507b5c2n.jpg

sam5508biexe.jpg

sam55097aft0.jpg

sam5503tri3i.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Here we go with another one!

Yuyuko Saigyouji, known from the Touhou videogame series, is a soft vinyl kit from a capsule. Thus, filling and sanding was somewhat more challenging than with a regular plastic or resin model kit.

As with the penguin kit, I made the baseplate from plywood. The lantern was scratchbuild from styrene sheet and clear plastic, the latter one backed with translucent paper to create a matt effect. Inside is a yellow LED light. The post is made from brass tubing. The base contains a CR2032 battery, and I mounted an on/off switch on the rear. Yuyuko's ghostly eyes are supposed to look like that according to the supplied instruction sheet.

Brush painted, as usual.

sam5495j3fbt.jpg

sam54969sed2.jpg

sam5497zvc6p.jpg

sam5498gli0k.jpg

sam5500f2im5.jpg

• Like 4