Sign in to follow this  
Leonardas

CVD vs. Universal swing shafts

Hi guys,
While I've been looking for some parts, I found that there are CVD and universal swing shafts. Maybe anyone knows differences between them? Some say it's the exact same thing, but others say, that they perform differently. For me, universals look like a more open version of the CVDs. Which of them would be more durable? Which ones do you prefer?

CVDs:

b_XV1240FST.jpg

Universals:

b_TTT2233.JPG

If you can get the spares, CVDs are generally easier to repair, a lot of steel/brass UJs are pressed together with the cross joint peined or pressed into place, but then again they don't tend to fall apart if you forget threadlock!

CVDs usually allow for more extreme angles between the shafts - handy for crawlers or drift cars where the steering lock can go way past 'normal'

From an efficiency point of view, I've never bothered to compare them, but if you're ok with Wikipedia as a source of reference, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Constant-velocity_joint

CVDs:

b_XV1240FST.jpg

If you can get the spares, CVDs are generally easier to repair, a lot of steel/brass UJs are pressed together with the cross joint peined or pressed into place, but then again they don't tend to fall apart if you forget threadlock!

Good point, but look closer at the picture, I also noticed this with junfac driveshafts.

Some manufactures are going away from screws and are using rings on the outside to keep the pin inside.

but still check that threadlock and bring spares, this was what happenned at the start of a two week Siclily holiday.

lost the pin but managed to fix it with bodypins

Ig12306.jpg

Junfac still uses a grub to retain their pin, and a ring - guess they're going for 'indestructible' :lol:

They do say, in the instructions, not to use threadlock on the grub though

uni_replacement_joint_620.jpg

So I guess CVDs are way better than universals. Even that Wikipedia article says the same thing.

Thanks guys! :)

CVD concept is more modern.
They are stronger than the Universals, you need just a quick look to understand it. And then the spheric shape will suggest immediately a smoother movement in front of a square shape.
I say this without enter in mechanical question.
A quick look is enough.

Max