Snappy1

The Madcap Dilemma

Hey everyone, It is about time that I became more active in the forums, I got a little push via private message this morning, so here goes.....

I purchased a Dyna Storm a few months ago and fell in love so I thought I would look for it's little brother , a Madcap, I missed 3 that I bid on recently and then another came up, I knew it was a quality car and couldn't miss out on it as soon as I saw it,

madcap1_zpsa1c6c892.png

madcap12_zps95a3be68.png

• Like 1

This is the first time I have bought a car from ebay where the car is actually better in real life than the pics, above are the ebay photos,

I realised when checking it out that I wouldn't run it, it is too clean and original, I was happy to own it, but dissapointed that I wouldn't run it,

Two days l;ater this popped up on the bay

madcap2_zpsebe6de97.png

Even better, it came with this included

bonus_zps3b5901b8.png

The first Madcap will be cleaned up and displayed, the 2nd will have the hopups I have already got in the post fitted, alloy motor plate, a set of 3 racing alloy DT-02 dampers and full bearings,

My dilemma is with what is left of the Astute.......no gearbox and the rear end could be a lottery, it is still in the post so I haven't inspected it yet

Is is possible to use the Astute chassis in combo/hybrid with the 2nd Madcap?

Suggestions and comments welcomed.........

The Madcap and Astute range of buggies are very interchangeable so you could make a true hybrid with that Astute chassis. Many people fitted various Madcap parts to the Astute as these were stronger or less complex in design and aided weight loss on the car. The original Astute was a tad over engineered and a bit delicate in places.

Plenty of Astute/Madcap parts are around, but some parts rare and costly - if bought, do you dare use them? Always a problem I have. But hey, these things are built to run, I guess.

Anyway have fun with the builds. By the time you are done, I bet you'll have three whole cars. Madcaps and Astutes are addictive!

Yeah, agreed about 3 cars, after some more research I think a works astute could be happening,

I'll keep this thread updated as things progress

I love where this is heading !

Perfect starting point for a works replica.

Still waiting on the other cars so I played around with wheel and tyre choices on the shelfer... still needs a good clean

IMG_1141_zps71c5d98e.jpg

• Like 3

Love the madcap was ome of my faves as a teensger. still after another one but can't justify another car to the wife

Still waiting on the other cars so I played around with wheel and tyre choices on the shelfer... still needs a good clean

IMG_1141_zps71c5d98e.jpg

A Madcap crammed with Super Astute bits would be epic... That green example reminded me of a project on another website a few years back. Somebody found his old green-painted Madcap in his attic, which he had won a state or regional championship with back in the day, and was briefly restoring it. Unfortunately, the thread is now gone and it appears the project was never finished.

A quick check seemed to confirm that it was not the same car, so no worries about provenance! :P Looking forward to seeing what you will do with those chassis!

I received them today

The green one looks good,other than a tatty shell, way better than I thought.

The Astute looks even better, hardly any marks on the chassis,front end looks fine and the only issue with the rear end is broken D1 & D2 parts, well that is the part no on my Dyna Storm.

So on the hunt for a gearbox now,i'd like to keep the green madcap as a runner lol

Is it only madcap and astute gearboxes that would fit?

Has anyone ever used a A & L lethal trans?

I used it on the King Cab.

The A & L lethal Weapon 2 belt tranny is bombproof but I really don't suggest you.

I believe a normal geared tranny is still a better solution. Try to mount some Traxxas, Losi or Asso part.

The tranny is easly adaptable to the chassis imho.

Max

Update time,

The alloy motor plate, full bearings,turnbuckles and 3 racing alloy dampers have arrived, the green runner really looks the part, but atm all I have to show for it is the 25 yr old ball diff blues,

I was tempted to pull parts from the white shelfer but thought better of it,

Back to ebay I go :(

Did you still want me to send you my Astute's old gearbox, Snappy1? It will still take a month to mail out, but if you want it at this stage it is yours.

Did you still want me to send you my Astute's old gearbox, Snappy1? It will still take a month to mail out, but if you want it at this stage it is yours.

I do want it thanks Grastens, I am waiting for you to return home for Christmas,

The ball diff is very tired in the green runner, need to wait now for the upgrade ball diff kit from eBay, one thing about this hobby, it teaches you patience lol

• Like 1

Hey Mikey, thinking about the A&L for the Astute.

I managed to pick up a nip tamiya 53034 torque splitter set, now dumb question time.....

Can I make two ball diffs for madcaps with this kit,or just one?

They don't work, there's a little difference in the diff gear, you probably will break the diff gear od the Madcap iddle gear.

You need the Thorp diff for direct fit.

Max

So your the one who beat me on the green madcap, I completely forgot about the auction and when I remembered it had finished, I was gutted!

Enjoy :-)

Don't worry too much Andy, you will be getting a nice StDragon instead ;) Snappy1, this is looking really good and if there is a bit or two I might donate, try sending me a note about what you need as I have some spare MadCap parts hanging around, but I don't have any good tires and my gearbox blues are the same as yours. I even found I gutted a runner Astute gearbox and don't know where I was headed with it, so I better figure it out soon.

• Like 1

For a runner, I have a spare TA03 front hubs and axles if you're interested. The TA03 front hub conversion allows you to use 4WD wheels (DF03 wheels) with hex fitment on the front. It works with Madcap lower front suspension arms and needs modern Tamiya (grey or black) adjusters on the upper arm turnbuckles (DT03 turnbuckles are perfect). This is the same setup that you'll see in the Jesse James thread that was linked in post #18. That's who I copied :D and his car won Vintage 2WD 540 with that setup at last years Vintage Festival.

Advantages are 4WD wheels and more tyre selection. Bigger bearings and increased caster angle. TA03 uprights / hubs and hexes are available in alloy if you break one or want to upgrade.

Just let me know if this is of any interest. They are complete with bearings, axles and standard hexes so could be swapped straight in if you want, just add DF03 wheels.

• Like 1

OK, finally an update, Thanks to Thommo and Grastens my Madcap is taking shape, apologies for the extreme delay, we have moved house etc etc etc

So, hopups fitted are alloy motor plate, full bearings, Avante rims,3Racing alloy shocks, DF-03 turnbuckles , new Team Brood 27 by 1 motor, and the TA-03 front hubs, I will update in the next few days with the Astute

IMG_1212_zpslus6sqrs.jpg

• Like 5