Snappy1

The Madcap Dilemma

Oh I like what you've done right there ! That's getting along real nice with the shelter body on it.

Do the outer adjusters on the steering tie rods foul on those wheels on turn in ? Looks close but I guess you could run with 1mm wider hexes if you had too. I only ever tried DF03 wheels with that set up but the Avante wheels sure look magic....... I dig it.

Thanks Thommo, I really like the Avante wheels also,.

The rims do clear the steering rods, but it depends on which way you have the lower hub mount spacers , I had to muck around with extra washers to get the clearance

Now that's one fine Macap! Is it just me or do Avante wheels look good on any buggy :-)

OK, finally an update, Thanks to Thommo and Grastens my Madcap is taking shape, apologies for the extreme delay, we have moved house etc etc etc

I had forgotten I sent you my Astute's gearbox in the first place! :P But now that it is at this state, it looks fabulous! I hope the gearbox did not give you too much extra work - I admit it was maintained before I knew about ceramic grease...

The wheels look great, too, but they may be on backwards ;)

this is a trial fit, a proof of concept, I need to make a couple of minor mods to the tower before i could run it, but I am chuffed it does fit......

IMG_1214_zpstcbh9wnf.jpg

• Like 1

The turnbuckles need further adjusting ,the shocks are approx 10mm too long, and not secured at the top,

IMG_1216_zpsw87i7twi.jpg

• Like 2

Once the front Dyna Storm tower is completed I am going to try and fit a Dyna rear tower also,

It looks better with the Avante wheels I think

I couldn't help but take a family shot, look who isn't the poor cousin anymore

IMG_1217_zpsxeulpavb.jpg

• Like 2

Great idea ! Can't wait to see it with the rear Dyna tower and matching shocks. The Avante rims do look sweet but those DF03 wheels suit the Madcap body and colour very well. Are you going to run another body and save that lovely original for the shelf ?

Thanks thommo, yeah, I won't be running this shell.

Jeekelemental, you are correct, they are 100 mm traxxas big bore alloys

Small update on the Astute

IMG_1364_zpsmucw2j7l.jpg

I have driven it, but it needs a lot of work yet, I didn't think the parts would be as difficult to source as they have been.

I must admit I have been spending a lot of time with a new toy

IMG_1360_zpswle3nij7.jpg

2s lipo and a 13 T double and it's a rocket ship

• Like 5

The turnbuckles need further adjusting ,the shocks are approx 10mm too long, and not secured at the top,

IMG_1216_zpsw87i7twi.jpg

It's amazing how much it looks like a Mini4WD like this! I love it...

• Like 1

I must admit I have been spending a lot of time with a new toy

IMG_1360_zpswle3nij7.jpg

2s lipo and a 13 T double and it's a rocket ship

That is one of the finest looking buggies ever made, it's absolutely spot on.

Not seen one for sale for a while, where did you find it if you don't mind me asking? :)

Don't tell him SnappyB, we have an agreement ! 😄 I think you are my Soul Brother too btw. I can't believe you have original rear hubs on Bluey... Are they in one piece ?

Wez, We might drip feed you clues real slow..........and in other threads so you'll have to be on your game !

Thanks Guys, funny when I got back into this hobby the Hotshot chassis is what drew me in, now I have a passion for Astutes above all.

Yep Thommo, original rear hubs on the Blue girl, It was missing the gearbox, shell and wing, wing support, shocks and rims, everything else was original and intact and I have left it that way. Those Hi caps are vintage too.

Wez, all I will say is the Super Astute came out of Japan, and I agree, the best looking buggy

Wez, all I will say is the Super Astute came out of Japan, and I agree, the best looking buggy

Translation: Rocky... :lol:

• Like 1

The lower shock eye on those front Hi-Caps doesn't look quite right. Do you need to get the correct ones so you have max travel ? Looks to be limited as it is. Let me know what you need to complete it and I can take a look at what I have spare. I don't have a spare wing mount unfortunately but I do have heaps of spare parts including used D parts for runners.

IMG_1364_zpsmucw2j7l.jpg

• Like 1

I never saw it either, and can't see any in completed listings, I smell a rat :lol:

I've been tempted to buy the odd car from Rocky, but the auctions usually go a bit silly.

I bought my ta01 skyline from him and it was a plum very little use and the body is 10/10 he always seems to have some great looking cars and scarfs im not sure what thats about lol

I got an F1 from him & sadly he didn't pack it right & the wing broke as it was still attached to the car .

That was years ago . But wow he has alot of great cars .

How are you guys fitting 4WD front wheels on the front of a 2WD car?

PS

Very nice, you have a nice collection of Tamiya's early race effort. Any plans for a 201x?