Hello again,

Couldn't think of a better topic name, so I just named it after the model - Subaru Brat.

Got it recently for 10 euros and didn't see much imperfections, except the lack of body, until I started reassembling it - the front suspension was made completely wrong and the screws were so hard and uncomfortable to reach and unscrew. But with some help from my father, the screws were off and I cleaned and reassembled the front.

Altough, one porblem is still here and I don't know what to do. A nut, which is holding the front wheel is 'stuck' (don't know if it's the right word to use in such situation). When I try to screw or unscrew it, it just keeps spinning/moving in its place.

Here are some pictures, so it would be easier for you to understand:

WP_20141101_001_1.jpg

WP_20141101_002_1.jpg

Maybe someone of you have had similair problems? What hould I do?

Also, I would be interested in a Subaru Brat body.

If you can get to the shaft behind the wheel hold that still with some pliers and then turn the nut, should work then.

*Edit- Sorry, I couldn't see the pics at first and missed that you said front.

That seems to be an original upright bit. I have seen the re-re ones coming out, but never on one of the originals. Anyway, I believe sooner or later it will come apart. What I would do is to press the rear part with a vise and then unscrew the nut. Be sure to press the center of it.

Other than that, you'll probably have to change the upright anyway, so if I was you I'd already been on the look for a replacement.

Good luck, and keep us updated.

Thanks, I'll try it, but I don't think it'll work. The nut is moving on the axle; I mean that when I try to unscrew the nut, I am holding the upright. And yes, it is an original 1983 Brat - I even have the manual. Might be hard to find original parts for it, but I'll try. If someone has a body/wheels/other parts - please write me a message. :)

Thank you once again, mongoose1983.

I also have two Sanwa SM-394 servos, an MSC, Sanwa DASH radio system and a dirty Mabuchi 540 motor. It all came with the Brat. Is there any chance of putting it all back to work, like it should've been 30 years ago? The motor is dirty, wires on the MSC don't look too good and servo connectors are HUGE comparing to the ones on new servos. The transmitter seems to be working nicely, not sure about the receiver though. :unsure:

• Like 1

Thanks, I'll try it, but I don't think it'll work. The nut is moving on the axle; I mean that when I try to unscrew the nut, I am holding the upright. And yes, it is an original 1983 Brat - I even have the manual. Might be hard to find original parts for it, but I'll try. If someone has a body/wheels/other parts - please write me a message. :)

Thank you once again, mongoose1983.

I also have two Sanwa SM-394 servos, an MSC, Sanwa DASH radio system and a dirty Mabuchi 540 motor. It all came with the Brat. Is there any chance of putting it all back to work, like it should've been 30 years ago? The motor is dirty, wires on the MSC don't look too good and servo connectors are HUGE comparing to the ones on new servos. The transmitter seems to be working nicely, not sure about the receiver though. :unsure:

It won't be hard to find the original bit, as it was shared with the 1984 "Frog" buggy. If you say the axle is still firm in its place and it's only the nut the thing that moves, then that's another thing and it might be complicated to fix.

I do believe you can get all that old gear to work. The first step as always is doing some cleaning. The contacts should be checked and all cleaned. Oh, and check for acid or rust in the transmitter's batteries contacts. In the end, if the transmitter turns on, then you're on the right track! ;)

The inside of the transmitter is clean, no rust or acid, only some scratches in the place where batteries are put. It turns on and shows battery level. :)

Well, I am thoroughly confused with the stuffed bear photo, but I am not English. LOL I may be saying the same as a lot of folks have on getting that big 5mm nut off the upright, but I would hold the upright with a pair of VISE-GRIP pliers and then back the nut out. If that has not gotten it to move, a soak in WD-40 won't harm the plastic or the rubber, so spray it liberally onto the nut and shaft and then tap, AND I MEAN TAP, the nut and shaft with a hammer or punch would be better and then try the process again with the VISE Grips and the nut driver. The Tamiya 4 way wrench might not have enough leverage as a good nut driver in the 7mm size to pull off that stuck nut. Chances are the shaft could still spin and you might have to break the upright to get to the shaft and then hold just the shaft with the locking pliers to get the nut off and there are parts still available to match those old parts. I hope some of this helps and you get that freed up soon.

Good luck

• Like 1