Anyone have both of these and can give a comparison? I have a NIB TXT-1 that I'm thinking about building up, but ... my eye keeps going to the Agrios. I find myself thinking about getting a TXT-2 and kicking the TXT-1 to the curb, but ... I just don't know.

Are they different enough to prefer one over the other? Much of a muchness?

Is the Agrios body a direct fit on the TXT-1? How about the wheels?

If there isn't a clear winner I'm thinking about picking up an Agrios body + wheels and doing a swap as I don't think there is much point in owning two monsters.

Thoughts?

Basically they are the same model.

The Agrios has a different chassis, with a more modern design but made of poor materials like heavy iron structure covered with plastic plus two heavy metal (iron? aluminum?) plates.

In fact the TXT-2 weights more that the TXT-1.

The wheels are different as you can note. The diameter is almost the same but they are more narrow than the TXT-1 wheels and probably they have less offset. The result is that the Agrios is less "monster" than TXT-1.

I would buy the TXT-2 and four TXT-1 Wheels and tires, like 95% of Agrios owners do.

And will use a better body than the ugly Agrios, for example some F-350 body...

Max

I've both. Different chassis on the Agrios, and it is heavier, or seems so.

This is what I've done to my Agrios since first building it stock:

• Custom cut chassis side plates from thick polycarbonate to replace heavy steel stock plates
  • Imex tires, TXT- Wheels
  • A much more realistic truck body

Before/New Built Agrios:

img7434_20052013010707_1.jpg

After/Modified Agrios:

img7434_04062014183624_1.jpg

To answer, yes the Agrios body is a direct fit to both - the wheels however, I don't think they were. I threw mine in the garbage as soon as I unboxed the kit.. I seem to think the hub was different on the rear of the wheel but can't recall.

Wow that new body looks ace on there - MUCH better!

How's does the TXT-2 perform in comparison? I've not ran the TXT-1 but it seems like a solid Monster from the videos I looked at prior to purchase. I haven't seen or heard that much about the TXT-2.

Is there less "lean" with the new chassis design? The TXT-1 seemed to lean and I wonder if that was a function of the cantilevered shocks and if the new layout works better? Or about the same?

Wow that new body looks ace on there - MUCH better!

How's does the TXT-2 perform in comparison? I've not ran the TXT-1 but it seems like a solid Monster from the videos I looked at prior to purchase. I haven't seen or heard that much about the TXT-2.

Is there less "lean" with the new chassis design? The TXT-1 seemed to lean and I wonder if that was a function of the cantilevered shocks and if the new layout works better? Or about the same?

Same performance...... ....... ....... ........still some "lean" ... ..... .....just build and run your txt-1 for great fun !

Yes but Keep in mind that TXT-1 has a different suspention configuration.

TXT-1 has longer and softer suspension movement. This could be better or not, it depends by what you want to do with the truck.

TXT-2 configuration is less prone to roll, stiffer and better for hi speed MT, TXT-1 is better for slower runs over rough terrains.

You can convert TXT-1 configuration to TXT-2 configuration with some little work.

Max

Yes but Keep in mind that TXT-1 has a different suspention configuration.

TXT-1 has longer and softer suspension movement. This could be better or not, it depends by what you want to do with the truck.

TXT-2 configuration is less prone to roll, stiffer and better for hi speed MT, TXT-1 is better for slower runs over rough terrains.

You can convert TXT-1 configuration to TXT-2 configuration with some little work.

Max

Yes, exactly.

Sorry, all mine sit on a shelf after I build them then run them once or twice (if at all), can never remember the performance :o

The TXT-1 has more torque twist due the softer configuration.

The TXT-2 yet has it but less.

In fact TXT-1 has two torsion bars, if I remember well TXT-2 no.

Max

I think I might need to follow my own oft-given advice: when in doubt ... buy both! :lol:

My wife hates that.

I remember doing a lot of research before buying the TXT-1 and thinking it was a lot of very cool truck for the money and the only things that I didn't care for was the rather generic body and the lean. I think maybe I will build and run it and then at the highpoint of MT madness I'll probably buy the Agrios (and ... who knows what else.)

Yeah, I bought both. Now the weather is nasty and I'm in building mode starting with the TXT-1 tonight.

Decided on Sport Tuned motors, full bearings and RRP steel pinions for both. Otherwise, stock to begin with.

The question is - to lock or not to lock the diffs? I want good Monster Jam style performance on moderate ramps, jumps, dirt obstacles and general backyard bashing fun. Occasionally it will go to a construction site or BMX track, etc., but nothing ridiculous.

So, what do you guys think? Lock? Open? Rear only?

• Like 1

Open.

Locked diffs make RC's driven fast roll over really easily... Not sure of the exact science but I am sure of the practicality.

Also there is far more chance of drive line damage with it locked. Come down fast, hard and wrong, the tire that hits the dirt has to force the drive line to turn or slow no mater what your motor is doing. With an open diff, the wheel can just "diff out" for a moment.

And the soft alloy diff gears won't last long with the locked solids and jarring.

You can use Tamiya AW Grease in the diff center (inside the hemisphere, NOT ON ANY driveline gears, you'll burn motors and batteries) to slow the action if you want a little limited slip action.

That was rather the way I was leaning. I locked the rear diff on my Clod and frankly I'm not sure it was a good idea and it might be getting undone in the near future. It steers like a pig anyway, and it just doesn't seem to help with the style of driving that I want to achieve. (Somebody actually told me that Clods do better with the front locked and the rear open since that's where the steering is best anyway, but I've not given that much thought until now. Not greatly pleased with the rear locked anyhow.)

I've had good luck with locked diffs on my CC-01s and Axials but it just seemed like not a good idea on these big heavy beasts that will get jumped often - particularly without a slipper to help soften the landings.

Thanks for the input!

• Like 1

I'm about 2/3rds finished with the TXT-1 today. What a great piece of kit. A real pleasure to build and looks to be rock solid.

Haven't encountered anything yet that is even close to being a concern. I suppose the top cantilevers could be alloy, but they don't seem cheap or nasty either.

Looking forward to giving this thing a run tomorrow if it isn't just bitter cold and blowing snow.

I run a TXT-1 and really enjoy it, I have yet to get my grubby meat hooks on a TXT-2, soon I hope, I actually like the body and tires. Check your grub screws on the drive shafts after the first few runs. mine started to backoff even with threadlok and all stock set up except full bearings.

That's good advice and good to know.

It is all finished and ready to test tomorrow if the weather holds. The wife has threatened certain doom if I light the thing up in the house since it is a massive bit of hardware, so ... tomorrow outside it is. :lol:

Now the question is 2-wheel steering or 4-wheel steering?? I would need a second MG645 steering servo and probably a y-harness? I've never done 4-wheel steering other than the stock Clod setup, so this would be new territory. Wondering if it would handle better or just tip over better with general bashing?

I went with 4WS right from the start, I use two futaba 3305 HT servos (same as the one in my Clod) I'm not familiar with y adapters and such, I use a Futaba 3PM 2.4 radio and plugged both servos Into the other two channels of the receiver. most of my driving was with a Clod and the TXT-1 felt like a natural transition. locking the rear steer might be better if you plan to run hotter motors to avoid roll overs but it will of course be less maneuverable. From my experience the TXT is less prone to roll overs then a clod(wider wheel base) I think your gonna love it either way. try both to see what suits your driving style.

I don't have either, but i would guess the TXT 2 is better, else the factory would not release a worser version...unless the 2 is much cheaper than the 1. Technology improves and experience gained year after year, so it is better. Look at other products out there.

Tomorrow it will get a proper test run with front steering only since I don't have a 2nd strong servo, but I might order one to have on hand in case I get the itch to try 4-wheel steering. Good to have options, right? In the meanwhile I guess some research on how to wire it up might be in order.

If anyone knows of a video or tutorial for hooking up 4-wheel steering on a TXT that would be great!

Now I'm really impatient to build the TXT-2 as well, but I'm waiting for additional bearings, servo and ESC to arrive before I can even get started. Oh, well - its not a bad problem to have really.

There should be a small "supplemental" step in the manual for the option of rear steering, or so I seem to recall.

If you have just a two channel radio (which radio do you have ?) then yes, all you need is a y-harness.

I'm building a TXT-2 and I've gone for four wheel steering controlled in the same way as the real trucks - transmitter steering wheel for the front wheels and a 3 pos switch for the rears. I'm using a 3ch Carson wheel transmitter.

This way for low speed I can steer the rears, but if I leave the switch in the centre it's stable for high speed.

I will be using the FlySky with 3 channels, so I guess I could do either? Although the 3rd channel is only a 2 position I think.

The manual has a step for adding the servo and all the hardware is there, but the practical bit about how to wire it up and control it is a bit mysterious to me.

Hadn't considered the option of separate front/rear controls although I've seen videos of trucks that could crab steer or directionally steer so I figured they must have had several channels dedicated to that option. Truck Norris - yours just steers from the front unless you engage the 3rd channel manually so you can do both at once? Does this allow both axles to turn the same way (crab steering) or both turn opposite (like the Clod) and you just choose by flipping a thumb switch? That's an intriguing idea that I hadn't really given much thought to. Hmmm.

The fronts always steer with the wheel. The rears steer with a switch (3 position slider), so independent front and rear. To rear steer I flip the switch and depending on the direction I can crab or opposite. It moves from neutral to full lock, there's no proportionality.

On a real Monster Truck it works the same, although with a rocker switch. When doing low speed tight corners the driver has one hand on the wheel and the other on the rocker. For higher speeds both hands on the wheel like a normal vehicle.

• Like 1

That sounds pretty cool especially for low speed tight cornering like turn arounds for another run through the course and such. Hmm, now my gears are really turning.

Yeah, I operate my TXT and my Bullhead (with CPE on axle servo mounts) as per Truck Norris. Rear steer on the 3rd channel 3 pos. switch of the DX3R Pro. Want to quickly go the other way? Flip the switch either way. High speed corrections, steer as per normal. Or, on the slipperies, throw the rear and counter steer the front so the truck tracks the corner as desired. Takes a little re-learning to do but is effective for an authentic driving style.

Ran several batteries and I've got to say I like this truck ( TXT-1). It soaks up bumps and jumps like it is nothing, and looks and acts like the real thing.

My only complaint is that it leans like crazy from the torque of two Sport Tuned motors when you're on the throttle, but it seems better with a few spacers to preload the cantilevered dampers on the right side.

I think I'll go with just front steering on this beast for now, but for variety maybe do front & rear steering on the TXT-2 Agrios. Best of both worlds kind of thing, although if I really love the 4ws on the second one, the first one will get retrofitted pretty quick.

We'll see how it goes.