one_hit

Restoring a Vanquish, got a few questions

Hey guys, I've decided to restore my Vanquish. Currently it's missing a lot of parts and I would like to know which parts from the re-re Avante, Egress and Vajra will fit.

Propeller shaft and gears. Are the ones from the re-re a direct fit? It has both diffs but missing the center diff, propeller shaft and joints.

Driveshafts. I only have one left, as two are missing and the other one, broke at the joint. Also missing three splined hexes. Diff output cups are complete. Will the re-re driveshafts mate into the original diff joints?

Part G11, the piece where the rear shock tower mounts, is broken. Ebay has the G parts listed for $75-99 but I'm not sure if I want to pay that much.

FRP steering bridge is also broken. Other mssing parts are screws, front bumper, spacers/collars for the dampers to attach to the shock towers, one front spring perch, all four upper arms, front and rear stabilizers.

Basically, what's left is the plastic chassis, lower arms, hubs, dampers (minus one front spring perch and all bronze collars), rear bumper, front and rear damper stays, wheels and tires, wing mount, motor plate and mount, and diffs.

Do you think it's still worth it to restore this? I was thinking about getting a Vajra and converting it to a Vanquish, but the only parts I'll be able to use from the original are the front and rear damper stays and wing mount. I'm not even sure if the rear damper stay will bolt into the carbon plate of Vajra.

What do you guys think?

I'm no expert on the Vanquish when it comes to parts that crossover between kits but it really depends how much time, effort and particularly money you are willing to put into the project. TamiyaUSA has discontinued a lot of the Vanquish parts (although the prop shaft is still offered) so it means a lot of searching and waiting on eBay or other avenues. Not to sound discouraging but it could be a long term project with so many missing parts. But if someone else can list the parts that are common between those kits (?) then you will have a much better prospect of completing the project. I am in a similar situation although a much smaller scale one with trying to get my Dyna Storm running again but I am determined as I'm halfway there and just need one more parts purchase so I have set up a saved search on eBay with email notification and will just wait to see what parts come up in the results.

This is the only answer for all your questions: no, it doesn't worth.

But you are doing this hobby and, as every hobby, you do it because you like it, it's not a matter of money.

The Vanquish shares alle these parts with these cars.

- All gearbox internal parts, gears, metal parts, bearings, differentials, diff cups, gear shafts: Avante, Avante 2001, Avante Re Re

All these parts are full compatibility with Torque Splitter Set: Egress, Egress Re Re

- Propeller shaft, propeller joints: Egress, Egress Re Re, Avante 2001.

- Gearbox plastic parts: Avante, Avante 2001, Egress, Avante Re Re, Egress Re Re.

- Plastic front and rear arms, front and rear knuckles: Avante 2001, Egress, Egress Re Re

All these parts are compatible with: Avante, Avante Re Re metal arms.

- Front metal uprights: Avante, Egress, Avante 2001

Compatible with new gold uprights: Avante Re Re, Egress Re Re.

- Front sway bar: Egress, Egress Re Re, Avante 2001.

- Rear Sway bar: Avante, Avante Re Re.

- Steering plate (FRP): King Cab, Hi Lux Monster Racer.

Steering plate (Carbon Fiber): Egress, Egress Re Re, Avante (optional), Avante Re Re (Optional)

Narrow FRP steering plate compatibility: Avante 2001

- Steering Linkages compatibility (thicker): King Cab, Hi Lux Monster Racer.

Ball raced steering linkages compatibility: Egress, Egress Re Re, Avante 2001.

- Wheel axles, Universal Joints, half shafts: Avante, Avante 2001, Egress.

Wheel axles also compatible with: Astute, Super Astute, Madcap, Saint Dragon.

All these parts are compatible with new CVD shafts: Avante Re Re, Egress Re Re

- Upper arms: Avante 2001.

With modification also compatible with: Avante, Avante Re Re, Egress, Egress Re Re

- Splined exagonal wheel adapters: Avante, Astute, Super Astute, Dyna Storm, Dyna Blaster, King Cab, Madcap, Saint Dragon, Hi-Lux Monster Racer, Egress, Avante 2001.

If you use modern CVD shafts you need traditional wheel mounts (not splined): Avante Re Re, Egress Re Re.

- Front damper mount (FRP): Avante 2001

With modification: Egress, Egress Re Re, Oprional Hi Cap Short damper mount (FRP and Carbon Fiber).

- Rear damper mount tower: No compatibility.

- Dampers: CVA Mini at front, CVA short at rear, CVA II Mini at front, CVA II short at rear, Hi Cap mini at front, Hi Cap short at rear.

- Srpings: all CVD springs at rear, no compatibility at front (or maybe Avante 2001).

- Plastic chassis: No compatibility.

FRP chassis compatible (Avante 2001), Carbon Fiber chassis Compatible (Egress, Egress Re Re).

- Bumpers: front Avante 2001, rear no compatibility.

With modifications: Front Avante, Avante 2001, Egress, Egress Re Re, rear impossible to modificate.

- Front bumper mount/brace: No compatibility.

With modifications: Egress, Avante 2001, Egress Re Re.

Your Vanquish is not impossible to restore and the car is highly collectable in my opinion. You have a big source of parts from the re releases. Concerning the G parts you can value to switch to carbon chassis or repair the broken parts. If you have patience sometime many Vanquish parts will pop up from ebay. You need some money, some time and some patience. This is the hobby you choosed.

Max

-

• Like 4

That vanquish sounds like a basket case, just the kind of project I like :)

Anything can be rebuilt, I went from this

KGrHqUOKpYE5c1DIrczBOkJub24PQ60_12.jpg

To this

2011-12-01200542.jpg

And that was before Tamiya re released it.

Will it be cost effective? No

Will you enjoy it? Yes!

There's plenty of people on here who'll lend a hand with parts/advice too!

Thanks for the info everyone. Attached is a photo of the current state of my Vanquish. As you can see, it's missing a lot of parts. I need part G11, front bumper, steering bellcrank parts, prop shaft and joints, the gears that connect to the prop shaft joints, driveshafts, upper arms, front spring perch, steering linkages, aliminum servo holders. Also the screws, collars and nuts that secure the dampers to the damper stay.

I have the carbon steering link package but it's going to the Avante 2011 that I have yet to build. The upper arms and tue rods, I can probably replace turnbuckles and ball cups/adjusters. I'm thinking it may be more practical to buy a Vajra and use the entire driveline - propeller shaft and joints, driveshafts, steering, upper arms and tie rods. What do you guys think?

image.jpg

post-11219-0-76964300-1415352254_thumb.j

propeller shaft and joints, driveshafts, steering, upper arms and tie rods. What do you guys think?

yes. you can use these on Vanquish.. :)

I just did a rebuild of a complete Vanquish I aquired, had to replace the parts of the rear gearbox, thanks to the Egress rere that was an easy and not so expensive project.

Looking at what parts you are missing, to get that into original condition, wouldnt go that way, except if you like to spend a lot of time and money.

Other option do a hopup to an Avante/Egress as mentioned in the Vanquish manual on page 28, get a rere Avante/Egress (will be cheaper considering the amount of parts you have are looking for) build it and sell the (leftover) Vanquish parts. ;)

Construction wise the Vanquish was an interessting car to build compared to its highend brothers but mainly just a lot of plastic.

I don't agree because you will not solve the problem but you will transfer it from the Vanquish to the Vajra.

There are a lot of parts here on the club and on ebay. Your Vanquish is not in so bad shape, believe me, I restored worse models than your. Ask here and there will be many members that will answer. Someone already answered you, contact him and rise the parts you need. It's like a puzzle, it's a game, rebuilt your model piece to piece. This is the fun of a restoring job.

Max

I'm thinking it may be more practical to buy a Vajra and use the entire driveline - propeller shaft and joints, driveshafts, steering, upper arms and tie rods. What do you guys think?

Thanks for the input Max and the rest of you guys. Today I managed to find the propeller shaft, another splined hex and the front propeller input shaft gear while looking through my old stuff. Great, one less thing to worry about :)

After work I passed by the LHS to pick up some screws for it (step screws for the uprights, self tapping screws for the lower fearbox covers etc.). When I got home I started working on the car. I screwed down the front damper stay to the gearbox mount (was previously just zip tied in place) then BAM the thing snapped in two :( Right now I'm feeling discouraged. Ebay has the G parts I need but I'm not sure if I want to pay $75 for it.

image.jpg

post-11219-0-28294600-1415386078_thumb.j

Wow, 75 just for the G parts, you can allmost get an used Vanquish for that (well with a bit of luck)

Don't be discouraged,

Now we want to see this Vanquish restored.

Max

Yes, $75 for G parts plus $12 shipping. Yikes! I managed to get new Avante 2011 upper and lower decks, propeller shaft and joints, CVD driveshafts, wheel hexes, wheels, bumpers, rear carbon damper stay including mounts, steering linkage hardware, pinion, upper arm rods and tie rods, for about $150 shipped. Looks like I'll be converting the Vanquish to an Avante 2011 for the time being while I hunt for those G parts.

All I'm missing now is the center diff and the small gear adjacent to it. I'll be carrying over the gearboxes, suspension arms, front damper stay, dampers. I'll try to see if I can fit the Vanquish rear damper stay and wing mount on the Avante chassis.

You could also give an excellent carbon fiber chassis to your Vanquish. Have a look at here:

http://www.fibre-lyte.co.uk/fl/cars/tamiya/egress.html

You can design you part yourself and they will cut it.

The Avante 2011 chassis should, and I say should, fit the Vanquish rear damper tower. Also the Egress chassis can do it, you just need to drill the holes for the shock tower.

Max

• Like 1

Max,

I built my Avante 2011 this weekend and compared the rear mounting holes for the rear damper stay. The Vanquish rear damper stay will fit, but two new holes will have to be drilled into the Avante upper deck.

Tamiya Era,

Nice collection you have there. All I can say is WOW! :)

• Like 2

I refurbished my old Supershot, the car that got me into Tamiya.

It cost a lot more than I anticipated, but in the end I had it back to its former glory, and it's still MY Supershot. No matter what else I get, that is my favorite car.

I was going to refurb it for my nephews to run, but that quickly became out of the question.

Looking at it a different way, the cost of the parts to rebuild it is as nothing to the cost of finding this site while rebuilding it and seeing all the cars I once wished for and learned I now could own... :lol:

• Like 1

A couple of updates. Managed to find the servo mounts in some of the boxes around the house. I also found the bumper, but it is broken so I just taped it into place. Also picked up the DT03 turnbuckle set, 5mm plain adjusters (DT03 comes with adjusters with Tamiya logos) and Avante 2011 steering from the local hobby store. The car now stands on its own :)

Now the bad. The plastic parts are brittle as *****! While working on the car, part G11 has crumbled into more pieces, and the rear damper stay has also broke. The switch mount and rear hub has also broke.

post-11219-0-04943300-1416539644_thumb.j

• Like 1

This is common with old models left under the sunrays or in a humid place.

Some Vanquish plastic parts often pop up on ebay or maybe is time to switch to a re re Egress carbon chassis?

Max

Max,

The kit was stored in a box, away from direct sunlight, in an airconditioned room. Re-re Egress chassis is an option but the prices on ebay are outrageous. $95 for the lower deck and $78 for the upper deck. I can't seem to justify those prices when just a couple of weeks ago I was able to buy from ebay two sets of upper and lower Avante 2011 chassis plates for only $60. I'll try posting a looking for thread in the forum's classified section for those G parts, maybe I'll get lucky.

• Like 1

A couple of updates. Managed to find the servo mounts in some of the boxes around the house. I also found the bumper, but it is broken so I just taped it into place. Also picked up the DT03 turnbuckle set, 5mm plain adjusters (DT03 comes with adjusters with Tamiya logos) and Avante 2011 steering from the local hobby store. The car now stands on its own :)

Now the bad. The plastic parts are brittle as *****! While working on the car, part G11 has crumbled into more pieces, and the rear damper stay has also broke. The switch mount and rear hub has also broke.

Great Resto. so far....well, get a used Egress at your local shop or ebay. buy it, take out the major parts and apply it on the Vanquish....Believe me, Vanquish will look sooo Sexy with these upgrades and you will never take your eyes from looking at her ;)

Well!...your Thread gave me the Energy and Power to build my NIB Vanquish......:)

Will do that in few weeks and will make a comprehensive building thread! ;)

Cheeers!

• Like 1