mikef350

manta ray/ta03 ball diff help

Yes, I have some inside maybe.

The Terra Scorcher has these Universal Shafts and cups. The Thundershot has normal half shafts and cups.

We can see the Thundershot like the Manta Ray and the Terra Scorcher like the Top Force.

Anyway, the Thunder Shot/Terra Scorcher have gear diff both front and rear so, like every diff cup intended for gear differential, they have a longer splined part.

The Top Force Evolution has a shorter splined part like every cup intended for the ball diff but also a shorter cup part, probably due the longer shaft movement. A longer cup probably would touch the shaft.

Max

And just to further obfuscate the matter, here are the Top Force Evolution universals in their original form:

53028thundershotuniversals_zps33488352.j

Which includes longer gearbox joints, which I presume is intended for the gear differential that was in the Thundershot, but why? Anyone with an original Thundershot have some insight here?

• Like 1

Yes, I have some inside maybe.

The Terra Scorcher has these Universal Shafts and cups. The Thundershot has normal half shafts and cups.

We can see the Thundershot like the Manta Ray and the Terra Scorcher like the Top Force.

Anyway, the Thunder Shot/Terra Scorcher have gear diff both front and rear so, like every diff cup intended for gear differential, they have longer splined part.

The Top Force Evolution has shorter splined part like every cup intended for the ball diff but also a shorter cup part, probably due the longer shaft movement. A longer cup probably would touch the shaft.

Max

Ah, okay now I'm starting to remember coming across these deeper cups; If I recall correctly, I had a set of these kicking around in my spares box, and was unsure where they came from. :rolleyes:

The vintage Thundershot have not the joint collars. Let me check the Re Re also...

Checked. The Re Re Thundershot also has not them.

Concerning the weights of the ball differentials I posted before here the pictures of mine.

BallDiff01_zps2eca1e9a.jpg

Behind you see the original ball diff, lightweight on the left, normal on the right.

In front you can see my modified versions of ligheweight and normal pressure plates. As you can see there are massive wormholes especialy on the right one.

BallDiff03_zps9efa8f7b.jpg

Other side:

BallDiff05_zps3f68fdc9.jpg

Also drilled the diff cups:

BallDiff02_zps220cab32.jpg

BallDiff04_zps975db6a0.jpg

When I raced in my local track I was a lightweight maniac.

Max

Do the Thundershot joints have collars as well? I don't have a set of my own to check and confirm...

• Like 1

I remember I could do more but I didn't want to ruin too much the differentials, especially the lightweight one... :D

Max

Wow, that's some real swiss cheese! I have to say I'm surprised they didn't break with so much material removed from the cups. Did you net any victories?

• Like 1

Yes, I won a couple of races and arrived 2nd or 3th in the championship, I don't remember well.

These modification made some difference, as I wrote before I saved the weight of a complete normal differential.

:D

Max

• Like 1

Yes, I won a couple of races and arrived 2nd or 3th in the championship, I don't remember well.

These modification made some difference, as I wrote before I saved the weight of a complete normal differential.

:D

Max

Ha, nice, that's great story, Max. Mods that win races are often information that gets forgotten with time. It's a secret until no one remembers anymore!

Hey OP -- I hope we sort of answered your question? lol :lol:

• Like 1

I made other things that I can't tell.

Max

Ha, nice, that's great story, Max. Mods that win races are often information that gets forgotten with time. It's a secret until no one remembers anymore!

• Like 1

Just read this thread after finding this in my Top Force  :)Screenshot_20210312_201303.thumb.jpg.b314b32462688a38e84352a90ac167b6.jpg

That looks like a TA02 and TA03 combo, the gear itself is TA02 

• Like 1