JWeston

Iconic Meets

revival-2016-logo_zpsr33dan8v.jpg

Announcing Revival 2016.

The Iconic RC and A1 Racing Club Revival 2016 is a vintage racing festival for charity and will take place across the weekend of Saturday 30th and Sunday 31st of July at A1 Racing Club in Grantham, South Lincolnshire.

Classes

2WD Electric 1:10 Buggies

1970 to 1983

1984 to 1988

1989 to 1993

1994 to 1998

4WD Electric 1:10 Buggies

1984 to 1988

1989 to 1993

1994 to 1998

Support Classes

Wheelie

Monster Truck

Rally

Endurance

Entry fees

Proceeds from the event’s entry fees will go to Parkinson’s UK along with the takings from a number of fundraising initiatives.

A document detailing everything you need to know will be released in the next couple of days.
  • Like 2

Need to get this one onto the calendar before it gets booked up :D

To anyone thinking about going along - do it, last year's event was truly awesome.

• Like 1

I missed last year's due to work, but the year before was excellent. I can heartily recommend the event to anyone interested.

• Like 2

Here is how 2016 is looking for Iconic events. Something every month from April to September.

Iconic Events

Sunday 10th April – Iconic Meet: Broxtowe Model Car Club

Sunday 8th May – Iconic Cup Round 1: West London Racing Centre

Sunday 12th June – Iconic Cup Round 2: Broxtowe Model Car Club

Saturday 18th & Sunday 19th June – Buggython 2016: Robin Hood Raceway

Saturday 30th & Sunday 31st July – Revival 2016: A1 Racing Club

Sunday 28th August – Iconic Meet: Robin Hood Raceway

Sunday 18th September – Iconic Meet: Stafford Radio Control Model Car Club

More details in the events section on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/iconicrc/events/

I just had to say how much I enjoy Iconicrc videos on youtube. Thank you! Next, I really like like that these vintage events support a charity. That's a top idea that I'd love to see take hold here in Australia. Good luck for the event!

• Like 2

I just had to say how much I enjoy Iconicrc videos on youtube. Thank you! Next, I really like like that these vintage events support a charity. That's a top idea that I'd love to see take hold here in Australia. Good luck for the event!

Thanks Dave. That's great to hear and I appreciate the post. We do have some Australians on Iconic who race vintage for fun. I can't think of the track. It's dirt though and I think in Perth?

• Like 1

Revival 2016:

Just a couple of days into the online entry opening, we are full in a few classes and there aren't many spaces left in other classes.

On 2WD Saturday we've already had 118 Buggy entries from 90 entrants and the only class still open is 78-83.

On 4WD Sunday we are close to closing the 3 Buggy classes so be quick if you were considering entering.

We didn't expect the event to fill up in days but it's clearly become pretty popular. I think most interested TC'ers are on Iconic anyway but if not, you now know to act quickly if you want to enter the Revival.

John.

I have just managed to register for one of the few remaining 2WD class places, yay! :) But only 1977 - 1983 was available and I wanted to run a NovaFox, but cannot as this is in the next year category. So I'm in a quandry about what I could run, as I am lothed to use my shelf queen Frog or Champ...

Not knowing how y'all roll at these events: I'm thinking that it'd be cheaper than repairing the damage to my shelfers afterwards, if I turned up with a re-re Hornet stuffed with a stupidly overpowered brushless system (for a laugh). But would that be frowned upon as not vintage (I'd get that - have plenty of silver cans to hand)?

I have just managed to register for one of the few remaining 2WD class places, yay! :) But only 1977 - 1983 was available and I wanted to run a NovaFox, but cannot as this is in the next year category. So I'm in a quandry about what I could run, as I am lothed to use my shelf queen Frog or Champ...

Not knowing how y'all roll at these events: I'm thinking that it'd be cheaper than repairing the damage to my shelfers afterwards, if I turned up with a re-re Hornet stuffed with a stupidly overpowered brushless system (for a laugh). But would that be frowned upon as not vintage (I'd get that - have plenty of silver cans to hand)?

Excellent. I'll get your Fox entry changed to a Frog for now.

In that awesome earliest class we have the following entries and I would say the Kyosho's are probably the trophy contenders with the Frog being the best choice Tamiya.

Tamiya Frog
Kyosho Scorpion
Tamiya Sand Scorcher
Kyosho Scorpion
Tamiya Fighting Buggy
Tamiya Buggy Champ
Kyosho Tomahawk
Tamiya Subaru Brat
Kyosho Beetle
Tamiya Frog
Tamiya XR311
Kyosho Beetle
Tamiya Ford Ranger
Tamiya Frog
Tamiya Frog
Tamiya Frog
Kyosho Eleck Peanuts
Tamiya Frog
Kyosho Tomahawk

Rere's and Brushless are permitted. Hornet is in the later class though which is already full and closed.

Rere's and Brushless are permitted. Hornet is in the later class though which is already full and closed.

Doh! I was in such a flap to get registered in time I lost the ability to read yesterday :unsure: Yes, looking at your fantastic info .PDF this morning I see that Hornet is in the next category. Oh well, off to negociate with the Mrs :rolleyes:

• Like 1

Just in case any non-facebookers are going to the Broxtowe Iconic Meet tomorrow:

Please don't forget your BRCA Card. No BRCA will mean no track time.

We are expecting a large turnout so please be mindful when choosing what to run; especially on the on-road track. SCT's and F1's don't mix very well!

Cheers. J.

Can anyone please advise if this "MYLAPS RC4 HYBRID TRANSPONDER" transponder would be okay for the Revival 2016 event (A1 Raceway's timing system)?: http://www.mylaps.com/en/products/rc4-hybrid-transponder/79

bf53e363d65c2e3fc8fabbd34ea60874_normal.

Edit: Just found this, which is an excellent resource :) ... think it says "Yes" as A1 Racing are using the "RC3" decoder, but it'd still be good if anyone can confirm actual experience of the new Hybrid transponder working at the A1 Racing track?:

rc4-compatibility.png

• Like 1

Do not buy a plain RC4 (Percy) transponder, buy the RC4 hybrid (Harry).

The Harry works on the RC3 AND the RC4 decoder systems. This allows you to race at clubs who have upgraded to the RC4 decoder and clubs who cannot afford it and still run the RC3 decoder.

And yes you can use the Harry at the Revival.

• Like 2

On 23/04/2016 at 1:33 AM, super gripper said:

Do not buy a plain RC4 (Percy) transponder, buy the RC4 hybrid (Harry).

The Harry works on the RC3 AND the RC4 decoder systems. This allows you to race at clubs who have upgraded to the RC4 decoder and clubs who cannot afford it and still run the RC3 decoder.

And yes you can use the Harry at the Revival.

Many thanks for the info. Got the confidence to get one now - Just need to shift stuff on eBay first :rolleyes:

• Like 1

On 4/25/2016 at 7:44 AM, 4WheelRC said:

Many thanks for the info. Got the confidence to get one now - Just need to shift stuff on eBay first :rolleyes:

I've given you a contact email via PM.  Sorry for not replying sooner but any questions will get answered quicker via email on on facebook.  Cheers.  John

• Like 1

A job very well done for round 1 of the Iconic Cup and a huge thanks to West London and to the entrants.  £396 was raised in the raffle and that goes straight to Parkinson's UK. :thumbsup:

There's an album of 365 photos uploaded to the IconicRC facebook group.

IMG_2050_zpsx1ihjuzg.jpg

Round 2 at Broxtowe is coming up and you can enter online here: 

http://www.broxtowemcc.co.uk/rapidcart/index.html

Cheers.  John

Here are the Buggy entry stats for Revival 2016 this weekend.  Proof that Vintage RC Racing is rather popular.  If any TC members are in the area then why not pop along and spectate.

2WD%20Stats_zpsbxwg0xu6.jpg

4WD%20Stats_zpsrhurger0.jpg

• Like 1

@John/Buggy entry stats for Revival 2016 this weekend: Gutted I cannot make this now. Roll on 2017! Hope the weather is kind for the weekend, everyone has a great time and those vintage plastic Tamiya suspension arms hold up! ;)

These icon meets look like great fun. Just been watching some youtubes. I know the 2016 calendar has passed but I'd like to race some cars in the events next year I think, particularly the revival meet. I was just looking at what cars I had and which would be eligible to enter. I've got these....

1984-88 2wd 1:10 buggy - vintage hornet

1994-98 4wd 1:10 buggy - baja champ

Support class, Monster truck up to 1998 - vintage blackfoot & a vintage clod buster

I looked at the rules and they seem quite open about what is and isn't allowed. No motor or esc restrictions and batteries up to 2s lipo. 

I've just got a few questions. I think I read but can't seem to find it again that re-res' are allowed. Is this correct? I've also got a re-re hornet which is only a year or two old, so would this be able ro race along side my vintage hornet in the 1984-88 2wd buggy class? Or if I bought a re-re blackfoot it could race against my vintage blackfoot in the support monster truck race for trucks up to 1998?

Also regarding modifications. Is fitting oil filled shocks to a vintage blackfoot acceptable as well as a different tyre? 

It all seems to be done with the main aim being fun but what tends to be the way people go about equipping their cars motor wise? I know motors don't have any restrictions so you could have someone with a 4000kv brushless motor with 2s lipo against someone with a silvercan with an nimh or even nicad battery. Is there an unwritten rule about not going to crazy with which motor you fit, ie not too crazy!?

Thanks for any info. I'm completely new to anything like this so sorry in advance for any stupid questions.

Terz, thanks for the interest in the videos.  Keep an eye on our youtube channel as I have about 5 to upload from this year.

Revival:  Re-releases are fine.  Period style mods are fine.  No restrictions on electrics except the 2s LiPo limit.  I've seen no evidence that brushless setups are better than brushed and vice versa.

Emphasis is on having fun and raising money for charity.  Revival 2016 raised £8,150.00 for Parkinson's UK.  We're supporting Parkinson's UK next year as well.

You'll find all the information you need on Facebook.  https://www.facebook.com/groups/iconicrc/

If you don't do facebook then we always suggest setting up an 'RC account' and use facebook just for RC.  There is some great content on there.

Otherwise, contact me at john@iconicrc.com  as I'm not on the TC forum often.

Cheers and hope to see you in 2017.  The first event next year is a vintage buggy day in January at Dudley Model Car Club in memory of Brett Davis.  We also have 4 Iconic Cup Rounds and the Buggython which are Tamiya events.   Revival 2017 will be end of July.   Plus some Iconic open track meets.

John.

• Like 1

Firstly great job raising all that money for charity. It's great to know people doing something they love can help out a good cause like this. 

Thanks John that's just the info I needed :) . Good news too about being able to use re-res. I'd much prefer to use my re-re hornet to my original plus I'm thinking of buying a re-re monster beetle or blackfoot as a runner anyway so that would save my vintage one too (got my fingers crossed they'll re-re the mudblaster). Yes fun is what it's all about so the rc's I bring will be running tamiya sport tuned motors and using nimh batteries. They definitely won't set the word on fire but will look great bouncing around the track. 

I haven't got facebook but I think I'll set up an rc account like you mentioned to keep up with things and thanks for giving your contact details. All will be helpful.

And finally. You've got new videos, great! I think I subscribed to your channel but I'll double check. I'll look forward to watching them. B)

And finally, finally would these mods be accept acceptable in the 1994-98 1:10 4wd class? It's my baja champ and I've fit some larger shock towers to allow the fitting of larger shocks. Oh and I've fit a hornet front bumper. All these are reversible so if they aren't allowed I can switch them back. 

20160901_133522_zpsdkb9v9oi.jpg

• Like 1