Yonez

QD Monster Beetle Manual and body screw

Hi,

I just received a QD Monster Beetle in the mail.

Everything seems fine. Very little use and scratches.

But the screw for mounting the body is missing and it doesn't include the manual.

I'm trying to figure out what I need to mount the body. Looks like it's just a really long 3 mm screw.

I can't find the manual on Tamiyaclub or the other usual suspects including Google.

As soon as that need is satiated, what should I look for in terms of upgrades? :D

first don't drop it (or leave the batteries in), these beetles cant fly

IMG_20140922_231414258.jpg

Hopups, you can throw in a handfull of ballbearings, and if you are lucky to find some cheap put on some CVA oil shocks.

QD%2520monster%2520CVA.JPG

DSC02177.jpg

DSC01998.jpg

and I put some hardfoam into the front and rear hinges that stopped the clattering.

I run them with the original electronics, thats fast enough for my nephew.

You could go wild with another servo esc and motor or even brushless.

DSC00968.jpg

the QD black motor wont work in the monstertrucks btw.

DSC02076.jpg

buggies only

DSC02077.jpg

oh and they are easy to glue back together again

IMG_20140922_231603652.jpg

IMG_20140923_225400741.jpg

• Like 3

Go brushless. Lol, these are great fun.

And yes, just a M3 screw will do it.

Although on mine, the body was held on by downforce. :D:lol::DB)

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies!

@waterbok: That was just an amazing intro. So much useful information.

Would you be able to tell me what ball bearings I need as well? Until I find the manual, I'm at a loss. I have loads of standard Tamiya bearings, so presumably I've got it covered.

4 sets of dampers purchased at $15 each (I want the QD Clod as well some time). Let's see whether the seller actually has any in stock. ;)

Are the rims and tires the same as the LunchBox/Midnight Pumpkin ones? I only have the tires available to compare and they look identical.

I'd like to get the gold rims, but if they're the same as on the LunchBox, I can probably find the gold Lunchbox ones cheaper.

With yellow shocks and gold rims, this will look even more like the real MB. If I could find a NIB decal sheet, I would be tempted to paint it as well.

Q: Would you be able to tell me what ball bearings I need as well?

A: Officially 4 x 1150 bearings in the front wheels and 2 x 1150 bearings on the gearbox outputs (outer end of the rear wheelshafts). I haven't replaced the bushings in a QD for ages, but if I recall correctly, it's possible to fit 2 x 1150 bearings on the inner ends (each side of the diff) of the rear wheelshafts too. I don't think fitting ball bearings anywhere else inside the gearbox is possible without modifications/machining.

Q: Are the rims and tires the same as the LunchBox/Midnight Pumpkin ones?

The wheels aren't. QD rear hubs are different from CW-01 (and WR-02) rear hubs, so not possible without major modifications. Front offset is different and the design of the inner face of the wheels is totally different.

The tires are identical though! Tamiya has even just recently re-released the optional 43009 QD Monster Spiked Tires for the CW-01/WR-02, however now with a new item # (54603):

http://www.stellamodels.com.hk/54603-monster-spike-tires-soft-2pcs-p-8603.html

Q: If I could find a NIB decal sheet, I would be tempted to paint it as well.

A: Item # 7800541 for the sticker sheet for the stickers on the body pre-applied from the factory, item # 7800542 for the sticker sheet with the smaller stickers included separately (taillights, yellow aux. headlights, "gastanks" on the side of the chassis and a few more. They pop up now and then, but being paper stickers, they suffer worse from age than the normal "plastic" Tamiya stickers. With a little patience, not too hard to find on eBay though. Unfortunately, Tamiya didn't care to make specific stickers for the blue and white version of the MB QD, so the item numbers are the same for all three versions.

By the way, the stickers and all the body parts are still available from Tamiya Japan and can be ordered. Most country distributors will probably not accept an order because the effort involved is so big compared to the money made from it, so better turn to a Japanese source. RC Champ has always been very cooperative when I have ordered discontinued parts which are still in stock at Tamiya Japan.

• Like 2

think it was standard 1150 all around, standard tamiya rims wont fit the QD have smaller hexes.

Tires are the same as LB/WW2

did you find the QD dampers? 15$ a set is a fine price

DSC00672.jpg

DSC00674.jpg

Someone else has a brushless one?, bugone, possibly Vrdetailing as well?.

There have been a few on the boards recently.

The Black Motor will fit if you swap over the pinion, which is a pain to do, but that's the only reason they say it won't fit!

I have 4 QD Trucks, 2 Clods, One Blackfoot and a Pumpkin clone, and I also have 2 QD Buggies. All great fun!

My first Clod was a wreck when I got it, but it was free! Now sports a Grasshopper gearbox with a silver can 540 and those lovely hop-up dampers. My other clod is boxed, tho I think missing its stickers. The Blackfoot is a little customised, I sprayed the chassis black and silver, new shell, stickers, roll bar, silverwear, glass and gearbox housing. I found most of that on here from Victor101car.

The 2 buggies are a Thundershot and a Super Sabre. The Thundershot is now fitted with an ez-run brushless motor and eats tyres! The Super Sabre has the black motor and gold wheels, and I think I have the box for it too.

Parts are a little scarce now for some of them, but eBay does list them sometimes, like others have said, Victor101car has been great with parts for them and is a top guy to boot!

More info in the QD group here

http://www.tamiyaclub.com/sig_member.asp?id=50

I think the main reason they warn for using the blackmotor in the trucks is that you might kill the 'original' electronics.

• Like 1

Thanks again for all the answers. I really need to get some Monster Spiked tires to get even closer to the look of big brother now. :-)

Got a full set of gold wheels on eBay for €7. The Ad says new, but the picture is really bad, so I'll have to hope a little.

Getting the QD bug here, and I have way to many cars already... :P

Getting the QD bug here, and I have way to many cars already... :P

he he yeh know that one, bought 'just' one QD for my nephew, now got 2 buggies and 2 monster QD :rolleyes:

...hi all, a new QD owner arrives today, to re-awaken this thread...:D...   ...I've been snooping around the forums today, as I've had a bit of unexpected luck, and found a QD Monster Beetle at a thrift shop...it's incomplete, however, so I was looking in to see if anyone had parts...I'm missing the Transmitter, have had it working with a Futaba, but of course the channels are 1 for 2, so I'm hoping to find an original Tamiya one, rather than rewiring my old Futaba...PLMK if anyone has parts that are available for sale, I'm looking forward to learning about this cute little beastie!

Get a servo, 2.4 receiver and a 1/18 esc and replace the electronics, way easier than getting a QD remote

And it drives way better.

...I've considered that, have lots of such hardware laying around, but I decided this one will be more of a restoration...I found another QD, a Jeep, on ebay so I grabbed it for 20 bucks, also incomplete...that one will probably get updated electrics because it shows signs of having been in a flood, it's got that perfect layer of mud on it that comes only from being submerged...of course the brain board is probably fine as no power was in it when dunked, but I won't know until I've cleaned it up...either way, I'll soon have a jeep to be my basher QD, and my Beetle will be my resto...

ÏKeep seeing mine on the shelf in the garage and wanting to spend some more time on it. We have some QD parts over here but it is hard knowing what is what by just a part number (with a brief description) and no manual. The shocks are too expensive. 

Mine was a monster beetle but the body was trashed. But it cost me a coffee and a crunchie bar! I got a Jeep body but it looks a bit 'Ronald McDonald' with the yellow wheels.

It all works, its pretty flogged out... but it works

ze8AnNE.jpg

• Like 1

On 30/03/2018 at 4:37 AM, markturbo said:

I'd still like to get a set of those CVA shocks for my QD Clod if anyone has some for sale.

5SpHeeBl.jpg

Same here, I guess you could buy a yellow CVA mini set but I'm not sure if the springs would be the correct size or maybe the stock ones would work.

4 hours ago, esteban s said:

I am missing the exhaust from Monster Beetle...anyone know where I can get one please?

There are quite a few QD parts on eBay and some sellers seem to have very large stock. If you can’t find one directly I suggest you contact them.

• Like 1

Victors101 has quite some parts but not the exhaust.