Sign in to follow this  
Pyrotech_

Recommended motor and ESC for Tamiya XV-01 pro?

Hello!

I've been looking at the Tamiya XV-01 pro rally chassis, and I think it might end up under the christmas tree for myself this year :P

I've found that a Novak Edge 2s ESC would be nice, since it's about 35% smaller than many other ESC's, and I've read that this chassis has quite limited space for electronics.

But I don't know what kind of motor would be ideal in this car.

I found this article, but he modified both the gearing and the motor itself to make it fit.

So my question is, what kind of motor is the "standard" one to put in this kind of car? Anyone with experience on the matter?

Thanks in advance :)

It certainly is a tight squeeze in there and I had to remove the fan from my ESC to get it to fit. The fan wouldn't be of any use anyway in that enclosed space.

I just fitted a 12T brushless motor in mine and found that it wouldn't mesh tightly enough with a 18t pinion fitted. I have fitted it with a 22t pinion but haven't run it yet to see it goes.

I have also found that although stick pack batteries fit in the chassis, there is not much space left for the battery cables to be squeezed into so a new battery might well be next on my list.

How fast do you want to go? The transmission can handle big power and you have the virtually unlimited gearing options of any touring car. So its more down to your application, rather than anything specific to the car.

I want to be able to go very fast, but still not so fast that it becomes uncontrollable. What engine and pinion would you say fit that description? I'm quite the greenhorn when it comes to gearing :S

This is question is one of those "How long is a piece of string?" type deals....

If you are wanting to go to a Brushless Motor and ESC setup, then a 10.5 Sensored system would be a system that would be a good compromise between outright speed, and still being driveable..

If you want a little bit more flexibility in what you can do in regard to tuning the system, then might I suggest that you go with an ESC where you have the ability to alter the motors timing, and boost settings in the ESC such as the Tekin RS series... Changing the timing and boost settings in the ESC can make the motor you have faster/more powerful.. (There are many other manufacturers that offer the ability to tune the ESC's Timing and boost settings, but Tekin is what I use, and recommend..)

As for gearing the said motor, there are just too many variables to give you a specific ratio to use... IMO you would be best to employ the temperature method, where you check the motors temperature throughout its first few runs, and alter the gearing so you keep the motors temperature below the manufacturers recommended maximum...

I own a ton of Noval ESCs and an XV-01 Pro.

Novak Edge is a great all around ESC and has a small foot print. So it will fit the XV01's radio box with ease. You can run a 10.5 turn motor with it, which will be more than enough for the XV-01.

I myself have raced the XV-01 with 17.5 geared to the moon on Asphalt, as well as a 13.5 for bashing on dirt and a 10.5 on a large 1/5 scale track.

My recommendation would be to use the stock gearing with a 17.5 for when you are on dirt. A Faster motors will get hot on dirt.

I run a castle sv2 esc with a 4350kv motor. My esc fits fine in the electronics box and everyone knows how big those are. My gearing is 23/77(slipper spur) and it runs pretty cool. My car is fast, probably too fast but I like the power for my rally course. I would suggest a sensored system in the 10.5-13.5 range but really it depends on how you plan to run it.(I beat the crap out of mine so I wanted a simple setup)

Thanks for all the answers :)

Primarily, I will probably be running the car on asphalt or concrete, and then maybe take it out in the dirt when I've gotten used to it.

I see that you all are using different setups, so my question about a "standard" was maybe not the right question to ask :P

I think I will be going for the Novak Edge ESC, and I found this combo with a 17.5T motor. It says for Traxxas, but I guess thats just the batteryplug, so a little soldering should fix that.

Raman mentions his 17.5T "geared to the moon". But I don't really know what that means. Should I go for another pinion instead of the stock one on this?

Sorry if my questions are stupid :S

Means tall gearing. I bought for my FF03 which is almost the same gearbox a 48dp spur with 70 teeth. Then a 30, 35 and 40 teeth pinions which gives me a fairly broad range of gearing.

You basically should start low or standard gearing and increase the ratio with each run and check the motor temps.

Orders placed. I went for the 17.5T motor, and also got this set to experiment with gearing: Tamiya (#54228) FC06 Module Pinion (26T & 27T)

Thanks for all your input :)

Just hope it arrives in time for christmas ;)