Pintopower

My "Super Fly" Hornet Build Thread

Where do I start, this looked great in the few minutes that I watched the track work, but I admit to fast forwarding to the commentary at the end. It looked like it flew beautifully and it looks like you drive with the most conservative line you can choose and not hard as most racers I have seen in my days at the track. I would be supremely happy to watch this thing kick some serious butt at the local track and perhaps compete in a MODERN 2WD class as it is, as you say, NOT MUCH of a Hornet anymore. In that vein, it would seem to me you can call it SuperFly2, but like Hot Trick did BITD, you only bolted on a few bits specific to the Hornet onto your gear, so perhaps you can call it the Alberto or AMPRO Hornet and discard the Tamiya from the name, much like a Hot Trick HotShot is literally only like the HotShot gearboxes and perhaps front arms and not much else, even the stock body didn't fit the HotTrick chassis well.

I too can't wait for your video gear to step it up and aren't you working on getting one of those cameras that follow autonomically the thing you are driving???

Nice vid. When you release it could you do an extra set of suspension arms with some extra length to make the track wider? I don't know by how much... 10mm each side maybe?

Though I must once again apologize for the less than acceptable video footage, i am pleased to say that I love SuperFly 1.0. This Hornet, for me, is just my favorite car to bring to the track. I only ran the car about 5 min but I wish I could have spent the day running this thing.

12 hours ago, VagabondStarJXF said:

Nice vid. When you release it could you do an extra set of suspension arms with some extra length to make the track wider? I don't know by how much... 10mm each side maybe?

Oh that is easy. All you need are non-shallow dish wheels. I wanted to keep the track within Hornet spec and it is close but a tad wider.  Since it is a hex drive at the rear, some deep dish 2.2 wheels will add 10-15 per side. I also make a wide track front suspension but it is not recommended as the moment arm gets too long and it can exponentially increase load to the front end. 

• Like 1

Wow the Hornet can now jump like a modern buggy! Amazing! I'm definitely going to buy the new  independent rear suspension parts as soon as they are available. I was also thinking about other body options for the Hornet. As im getting a little tired of cutting out and repainting new rear wings/spoilers for my Hornet. So was wondering would it be possible to use a Grasshopper 1 body with your new inderpendent rear suspension? I was originally think of doing this just because I quite like the looks of the Grasshoppers 1 body and it's only a little more expensive then a replacement Hornet body and wing and as it has no rear wing to brake off after a nasty roll.  But could it also be an improvement  in structural rigidity? As its a hard body screwed to the chassis similar to your roll cage?  Or should I say could your rear suspension and wing mount part be modified slightly in the next version to mount to the Grasshopper body and use it instead of the roll cage? 

On 7/16/2017 at 2:06 AM, Tamiya80sBuggyFan said:

Wow the Hornet can now jump like a modern buggy! Amazing! I'm definitely going to buy the new  independent rear suspension parts as soon as they are available. I was also thinking about other body options for the Hornet. As im getting a little tired of cutting out and repainting new rear wings/spoilers for my Hornet. So was wondering would it be possible to use a Grasshopper 1 body with your new inderpendent rear suspension? I was originally think of doing this just because I quite like the looks of the Grasshoppers 1 body and it's only a little more expensive then a replacement Hornet body and wing and as it has no rear wing to brake off after a nasty roll.  But could it also be an improvement  in structural rigidity? As its a hard body screwed to the chassis similar to your roll cage?  Or should I say could your rear suspension and wing mount part be modified slightly in the next version to mount to the Grasshopper body and use it instead of the roll cage? 

Yeah, that is why I made that wing mount. The stock one is a joke. I have no clue if the GH body will fit as there is a lot going on back there now. How about the Panda Cyclone? That is  a great shell and TBG makes one. I bought a couple of them. The GH is a massive improvement to the structure of the hornet as it uses the body as a structural member. I think the modifying the GH body would be the best bet. I will try and see how close it is to fitting. Good thought. 

• Like 1

I was expecting a big announcement when the new Omega rear suspension was available on shapeways. I just so happened to be looking at Shapeways site last night and saw its now available so placed my order! I went for the 1.5 degree hubs. I take it this is rear toe out angle? 

On 8/19/2017 at 3:08 AM, Tamiya80sBuggyFan said:

I was expecting a big announcement when the new Omega rear suspension was available on shapeways. I just so happened to be looking at Shapeways site last night and saw its now available so placed my order! I went for the 1.5 degree hubs. I take it this is rear toe out angle? 

Haha, well the announcement was when I did the video but I think you are right, it should have been bigger. No, the 1.5 is toe in. There is 0, 1.5, & 3. I use the 1.5.

1 hour ago, Pintopower said:

Haha, well the announcement was when I did the video but I think you are right, it should have been bigger. No, the 1.5 is toe in. There is 0, 1.5, & 3. I use the 1.5.

Yes that makes sense I think I remember reading somewhere that a little toe in at the rear and a little toe out at the front makes 2WD buggys more stable. I will post some pictures here when Iv finished updating my Hornet here with the new rear suspension. 

1 hour ago, Tamiya80sBuggyFan said:

Yes that makes sense I think I remember reading somewhere that a little toe in at the rear and a little toe out at the front makes 2WD buggys more stable. I will post some pictures here when Iv finished updating my Hornet here with the new rear suspension. 

Wow man you are brave! It is a major upgrade! Make sure the rear shocks do not over extend or the axles will bind. It took me a couple tries to shim it just right. 

21 hours ago, Pintopower said:

Wow man you are brave! It is a major upgrade! Make sure the rear shocks do not over extend or the axles will bind. It took me a couple tries to shim it just right. 

Do you mean shims inside the shocks? They is an article on this site about a similar mod for the Wild One to stop the rear shocks from over extending?

On 9/15/2017 at 10:29 AM, Tamiya80sBuggyFan said:

Do you mean shims inside the shocks? They is an article on this site about a similar mod for the Wild One to stop the rear shocks from over extending?

Well that or to trim the lower shock collars so that the shaft goes a tad deeper into them. This was you don't sacrifice travel. 

On 14/09/2017 at 9:06 PM, Pintopower said:

EkIVJXV.jpg

So far so good! Only problem IV had so far is that after cutting the old fixed axel parts off. I also had to drill out the hole to 9mm to get the 3d printed bearing holders in. After cutting the old axel off the hole was only 7.5 mm big. So I used a 8mm drill bit first. Then a 8.5mm and finally a 9mm drill bit to make it fit. Also you can just about see I used 2x tamiya 3mm washers on the two mounting points on the right side. (When viewed from the back) As there was a bit of a gap on mine between the right of the gearbox and the 3d printed parts. But this might have just been the way I cut it. 

On 14/09/2017 at 9:06 PM, Pintopower said:

How interesting. So the ID of the hole on yours was smaller than what I had. Is your trans vintage or rere? You needed washers too huh? Let me know what kind of trans that is. 

I brought a new transmission on eBay so that if it did not work out I could put the old one back. But I believe it's a Hornet re-release as it did not have the little tap that the grasshopper has. And was new and did not have any scratches on it. 

Interesting. I test fit it on a few but who knows where mine came from!

On 2/8/2018 at 9:06 PM, Pintopower said:

Interesting. I test fit it on a few but who knows where mine came from!

Sorry long time no post. But I got it working, Just needed to drill out the hole a little bigger. Also got it to work with re-release Wild One wheels and hubs and and mixture of Frog and 39mm Drive Shaft Set for the DF03. Had to space it out quite a bit to work. Also found that wheel hubs that come as an unused parts on the Rising Fighter are comparable with Wild One Re-release wheel!aE4HLgT.jpg

QdKelH0.jpg

Modified some Fog re-release shocks, To limit there travel and added ball links to them to stop them rubbing on the underside of the started Hornet body. 

p8Q4DIR.jpgone 

Cut some frog/wild One axle covers up to fit

bst0uhY.jpg

Does make the rear end a little wider but it works!

6rttxCH.jpg

Found some cheap back spot stickers on Ebay and stuck them to a Frog rear wing. As this started out as a regular re-release Hornet with some Jun Watanabe stickers also got cheep from ebay. But the rear wing broke back when it has standard Hornet suspension. So this way i can early replace the wing if it brakes again. Used RC10 wire wing mounts painted white.

VWTErxj.jpg

Also manged to get a Tamiya High Torque servo saver to fit buy cutting of the arm from the started Hornet servo saver and bolting it to it.

Also used Traxxas Turnbuckle set for the Sledgehammer TRA1841 

aOzwWDd.jpg

Also modified some cheap front 1/16 shocks off ebay. Cut the eye plastic mounting part at the top.  And then just but a flat head bolt thought the top.

RrGeJbo.jpg

o466mfN.jpg

k7rc8Do.jpg