bjorklo

Which one is the best 4WD Buggy front and rear gearsystem/boxes

So I'm wondering how have made the best gearsystem/boxes it don't necessary have to be Tamiya and you could choose a rear gearbox from Egress and the front one from Top Force (just an example).

I got most experience with vintage buggy's so I'm thinking about the Egress, both front and rear) and the Top Force (front), what do you think?

The criteria should be

Design

Durability

Gear ratio

If you know the gear ratio for the gear box you think is the best, please state this as well.

I think the old schumacher CAT had the simplest, most efficient, and lightest transmission (Just 3 belts, with cams for tensioning the belts)

Also the Optima MID had a great combination of gear drive and belt drive (Gear drive to the rear axle and belt drive to the front diff.)

The Clod Buster has probably the most robust transmission, particularly from the vintage vehicles.

• Like 1

I can't chime in on the best transmission...

But I've always wondered what the idea was with the hugely complex Hotshot gearboxes. I love them silly, but after seeing how simple modern buggies are, both shaft and belt ones, you've gotta wonder.

• Like 1

Pretty much any ball or gear diff from any manufacturers that make racing buggies.

• Like 1

I know the SRB is gearbox is limited on ratios and probably not very efficient, but it always impressed me with it's sealed design, cool transparent covers and it was bulletproof.

For what purpose?

Are you wanting to scratch build a buggy?

For me, I would say the gearboxes from an Associated TC3/4 touring car.. Yes, I know its a touring car, but its already been shown that they can be adapted to offroad..

Reason is they are ball diffs standard, have tuning options such as light weight (plastic) outdrives.. You can have a spool or one way option.. They are quite compact, extremely efficient, sealed quite well, and are shaft driven... Ratio is 2.5:1...

I imagine the ones from the newer B44 buggy would be similar....

• Like 1

I know the SRB is gearbox is limited on ratios and probably not very efficient, but it always impressed me with it's sealed design, cool transparent covers and it was bulletproof.

But you don't get em i in 4wd version, right?

For what purpose?

Are you wanting to scratch build a buggy?

For me, I would say the gearboxes from an Associated TC3/4 touring car.. Yes, I know its a touring car, but its already been shown that they can be adapted to offroad..

Reason is they are ball diffs standard, have tuning options such as light weight (plastic) outdrives.. You can have a spool or one way option.. They are quite compact, extremely efficient, sealed quite well, and are shaft driven... Ratio is 2.5:1...

I imagine the ones from the newer B44 buggy would be similar....

Thanks for your answer :-)

Well I'm wondering if I should put a buggy together what gearboxes to use.

I think the old schumacher CAT had the simplest, most efficient, and lightest transmission (Just 3 belts, with cams for tensioning the belts)

Also the Optima MID had a great combination of gear drive and belt drive (Gear drive to the rear axle and belt drive to the front diff.)

The Clod Buster has probably the most robust transmission, particularly from the vintage vehicles.

Thanks for that information, must have a look at em.

But you don't get em i in 4wd version, right?

Good point! Not paying enough attention :rolleyes:

Unless it's Shodog's SRB of course... B)

• Like 1

i wouldnt use ball diff in off road in high grip.. i prefer geared diff.

team c x4 / t4 has nice gearboxes

Good point! Not paying enough attention :rolleyes:

Unless it's Shodog's SRB of course... B)

Were can i see this one?

I'll second the Optima Mid (and Lazer and other derivatives). The biggest drawback to it is that the entire car must be disassembled if anything ever happens to that belt - and I mean the ENTIRE car. But it's pretty strong, and the whole thing is very free-running and quiet for a belt drive.

• Like 1