taffer

WR02 and WR02G front uprights

I own WR02G models but I have been looking at the WR02 chassis manual and seen that on stage 10 tamiya use parts e2 and e6 to help create the uprights using ball bearing wheels yet for the WR02G (stage 10) they changed it to use TL01 uprights with hex attachment for the front wheels!?

Also the servo savers are different sizes, can anyone share there experience as to why this might be or if you have tried reverting a WR02G back to a 'normal' 2WD setup to find it drives strangely!?

I know the difference is larger rear wheels, but does this really warrant the change?

Thanks

The difference is the size of the front wheels which are smaller than a normal WR02. The WR02G uses TLT-1 front wheels, presumably because it was cheaper to do this than create a new wheel design (it's also why front and rear wheel designs don't match). The TLT wheels use a hex fitting so the most cost-effective way to accommodate this is to use the TL-01 set up because you get most of the parts in any WR02 kit anyway.

I think it was most likely done for appearances - you expect a tractor to have small front tyres and large rear ones and this was probably the most cost-effective way of doing it.

Ahh I see, I thought it was just the WR02 rear wheels put on the front of WR02G

Ok that explains that one, now what about the servo saver? Why use bigger one?

It's probably to position the steering rods - if you convert a WR02 to hex fitting at the front with TL01 bits and the standard servo saver, the steering rods can catch on the chassis.

Looking at my tractors, the chassis holes for the steering are huge, with the bottom edge of the hole (near the steering arms) actually getting wider towards the rear, which actually means more space if the shorter servo saver is used.

Which should mean if the large servo saver ever snaps, I have the short one as a spare!

Larger (or longer) servo saver gives you more leverage and throw so it pushes the steering knuckles a bit further meaning tighter turning.

Larger (or longer) servo saver gives you more leverage and throw so it pushes the steering knuckles a bit further meaning tighter turning.

Lol thats the last thing the tractors need! If I build another then shorter servo saver it will be! :)