Sign in to follow this  
vrs55

Hiding wires when fitting Mr-01 to scania

hello guys looking for a bit of advice please I was wondering how the best way of how to hide the wires for the tail lights the truck is a scania r620

Small self adhesive cable clips on the inside of the chassis rails - you should have got some in the kit ???

You could also wrap the cables in black insulating tape or use some thin vinyl tubing.

To make it even nicer, use black heat shrink tubes to bundle the wires in and those metal clips that should have came with the kit to secure it.

Great thank you guys will look for the clips and get some black heat shrink

it also helps to braid the wires together into nice looms that can easily be tucked away by the clips

I use spiral wrap to hide the wiring on my tractor trucks... http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID=HP1220

Unlike heat shrink, it can be removed and refitted if you ever want or need to change some lights around.. Unlike Heat shrink, it also stays quite flexible, and makes it easy to have lights exit part way down the wiring loom..

I have also heard of guys that make something similar by running coloured plastic drinking straws through a pencil sharpener... Just use a straw that is the same, or similar colour to your chassis..

Like the spiral wrap idea :)

I'm currently building a Globe Liner with the MFU and I was also wondering about the best way of keeping the wiring to the rear lights in particular tidy.

Tried the heatshrink tubing but getting all those plugs and wires down the tubing proved impossible - I was using quite a wide piece - and I wasn't sure how much it would actually shrink, also the issue of possibly having to remove & replace anything came to mind.

I've settled on using the heatshrink but have cut it down the side, tucked the wires inside and secured it with the small cable ties supplied in the MFU kit every few cm.

Biggest challenge seems to be getting everything inside the Globe Liner cab as the battery also sits in there & space is tight - time for some creative thinking !

I believe some of the newer tractor kits come with spiral wrap, pretty sure my MAN did anyway. I don't think there was enough though.

Fitting a Multi function unit to a Globe is particularly difficult, even more so with an interior, and also you don't want the control unit inside the back aswell :(

Made some progress with the Globe Liner MFU install today - plenty of fabrication, trial and error type of stuff - cutting, filing, drilling etc...plenty of head scratching too !

A 2.4m length of 12mm x 12mm PVC plastic angle from Homebase for £2.99 has provided the solution - just need to find some plasticard to finish it off now :)

Hopefully will finish the MFU install tomorrow and post some pics up !

Update 09/12/2014 : Posted up some pics in my showroom as a 'How to' guide.

Space in the Globe Liner cab is quite tight but it all fits in !

Update 14/12/2014 : Realised I'd made a 'bit of an error' in my quest to get everything in the rear of the Globe Liner cab and put the control panel with the ON/OFF switch inside - probably not a good idea - so have now trimmed the removable cab rear panel so the control panel is now accessible from the outside. Getting all those wires neat and tidy is pretty tricky !

• Like 1