oz tamiya fan

Hotshot V Super Hotshot

What are the differance between the Hotshot and Super Hotshot ????

I know they are both re-release. I think the Hot-shot is a 2007 and Super Hotshot is a 2012.

I think there was a Hot-shot 2 but I don't think this was a re-release.

Which is teh better buggy ???

The best is Hot Shot 2 but never rereleased and it will never be.

The HS2 has common chassis and mechanics but has more modern rear arms and better suspension design.

Many members think that Super Shot (and Super Hot Shot) is the best suspension solution but this is not true in my opinion.

The problem with SHS suspension is that the bottom of the car doesn't touch the ground. At the end the dampers compression is too short.

Hot Shot 2 ha the front mono shock and many people don't like it but if well adjusted it works good and is plenty of escursion.

At the end the HS2 is lighter than the SHS but, as I said, is not been rereleased.

Max

• Like 1

The hotshot II rear suspension also has a bit of toe in on it, which helps to improve the handling of the car.

• Like 1

What are the differance between the Hotshot and Super Hotshot ????

I know they are both re-release. I think the Hot-shot is a 2007 and Super Hotshot is a 2012.

I think there was a Hot-shot 2 but I don't think this was a re-release.

Which is teh better buggy ???

Hotshot is the same as the original hotshot in a sence . Mono shock etc .

Now the super hotshot is a re re OF the original supershot . they renamed the supershot too Super Hotshot

when they rereleased it in 2012 .

Both almost the same chassis , arms , gearboxs , etc . The only thing that was different was the shocks .

Hotshot mono front & rear , as the supershot ( super hotshot ) has 4 , one at each Arm/wheel , and under tray , body .

This is just a simple guide of the differences .

Yes I just was speaking about this.

MAx

The hotshot II rear suspension also has a bit of toe in on it, which helps to improve the handling of the car.

If you strictly compare the Hot Shot and Super Shot/Super Hot Shot, the latter suspension setup, while not perfect, is preferable.

The original Hot Shot springs were far too soft, the car kept bottoming out the front skidplate (even with the spring tensioner at the hardest setting), and hitting the suspension limits on the back. The rear monoshock linkage severely limits the wheel travel at the back when both wheels compress together, eg after landing jumps. The rear monoshock will run out of travel before both wheels do. Individual wheel travel at the back is fine, but over time the rear suspension arm cantilevers break.

The re-release Hot Shot springs are better, and the front end works a lot better as a result, but overall still not perfect.

The Super Shot does stress the suspension arms as you say because the dampers run out of travel out before the skid plate bottoms out, especially if you have the rubber bump stops in the dampers. However, despite this car being harder on the suspension arms, in particular the front arms, the Super Shot is very stable when landing jumps. Rear suspension travel is much improved, and the rear end more planted. Despite having no roll bar on the front, the Super Shot does tend to understeer more than the Hot Shot.

The Hot Shot 2 effectively has the same suspension as the Boomerang. It fixes the shortfall of the original Hot Shot rear suspension, while keeping the softer grippier front end monoshock setup. For more steering, you could try disconnecting the front anti roll bar.

- J

Please let me explain, Rosey.

The Hot Shot 2 was one of my wet dreams when I was a child and I own two of them but I strongly believe that, unfortunately, will never rereleased because it was not so iconic like the Hot Shot 1 and the Super Shot. I also believe that it sold less than the precedessors and I also believe that it was released out of maximum time. Meanwhile the new, faster and more efficient 4WD generation was released with the Thundershot. I think that the Hot Shot 2 was the last attempt to make some money on the Hot Shot 1 moulds. For these reasons, sadly, I believe that it will never be released again. :'(

Max

Not entirely sure your statement, it'll never be released is a judicious one Kontemax!? I think after such re issues as the Bruiser, Avante and Sand Scorcher, to name but a few, the Hotshot II would be a pleasant stroll in the park! Not withstanding the fact we have already had the Hotshot, Supershot and Boomerang. Consensus seems to point at a possible Bigwig re re as well at some point. I think it is only a matter of time personally.

To me, one of the main things that make the Hotshot such an iconic car is the suspension setup. The monoshocks and anti-roll bars with all their attachments and linkages make the car look really complex, interesting and special. Take them away, and you are left with a relatively ordinary 4-shock buggy with vulnerable suspension arms.

True, it may handle better that way, but is it still as special? Is it indeed a better buggy just because it performs better? From a racing point of view, I suppose performance is everything, but from a building, collecting and aesthetic standpoint, I am not so sure...

• Like 2

XV Pilot you are right on the money there. I personally love the complex look and clever linkages in the original hotshot. I'm making a custom version myself based on a re re kit and although the temptation is there to go with a more conventional, performance oriented set up it just wouldn't be right.

Probably the efficience of the first Hot Shot is not the best possible.

I believe that with better machined metal parts mounted on ball bearings is possible to obtain a better efficiency.

Max

Meanwhile the new, faster and more efficient 4WD generation was released with the Thundershot.

At the time the HS2 was released, not even the distributors had been informed that a new generation of 4WD buggy (Thundershot) was in the pipeline (I worked for one at the time and got the distributor newsletters from Tamiya HQ and as I participated in organized racing and used the best Tamiya had to offer, I remember the situation when the HS2 was released very well). Accordingly, the HS-series was still state of the art from a Tamiya perspective when the HS2 was released and remained so untill the Thundershot was released almost exactly a half year later.

I would rather argue that the Super Sabre was cannibalized by the Thundershot. The official release dates were only 20 days apart. In fact, the distributor I worked for received the first shipments of Thundershots and Super Sabre together and it was immediately clear that the Super Sabre (and complete HS-series) was completely outdated, and accordingly we didn't import more Super Sabres, being technically inferior and more expensive and at that time generally considered less goodlooking than the Thundershot.

I think that the Hot Shot 2 was the last attempt to make some money on the Hot Shot 1 moulds.

I'd say the Super Sabre was the last attempt. (The Super Sabre and HS2 roughly have the same amount of carry-over parts from the HS1.)

Whether the HS2 will be re-released or not is something I don't have any opinion about though. It's simply a game I don't participate in, as Tamiya has proved fans' predictions and "logic" about what they may re-release or not to be totally unreliable.

• Like 2

Interesting! I did some offline reading on the Thundershot and it looks like quite an interesting evolution. I would pickup a ReRe Thundershot if one came out :)

Interesting! I did some offline reading on the Thundershot and it looks like quite an interesting evolution. I would pickup a ReRe Thundershot if one came out :)

Been and gone, I missed out on one unfortunately

I got it fortunately, one at the times, one new built vintage, on NIB rerelease.

I need a couple of them more for My Fire Dragon and Thunder Dragon bodies and I need another one as a runner.

They were faster, at the times, than the Hot Shot series.

Max

In the late 80s the car the won the tamiya cha

On 12/9/2014 at 9:15 AM, kontemax said:

The better is Hot Shot 2 but never rereleased and it will never be.

The HS2 has common chassis and mechanics but has more modern rear arms and better suspension design.

Many members think that Super Shot (and Super Hot Shot) is the best suspension solution but this is not true in my opinion.

The problem with SHS suspension is that the bottom of the car doesn't touch the ground. At the end the dampers compression is too short.

Hot Shot 2 ha the front mono shock and many people don't like it but if well adjusted it works good and is plenty of escursion.

At the end the HS2 is lighter than the SHS but, as I said, is not been rereleased.

Max

Not being augmentative but i find what you say someone what surprising , as back in the day I when I was racing these cars near everyone was using the the super shot set up over the hotshot one and two , everyone preferred the yellow cva quad  suspension set up over the two other versions  ,in fact I recall  Tamiya did the full super shot suspension as a hop up kit for the two lesser hot shot versions .
Throughout the 1980-90s my aunts brothers owned a chain of models shops in the uk called "the model shop" (now called Antics) they actually sponsored the uk driver that actually won the tamiya challenge with a modified super shot running that suspension with a full carbon home-made chassis , as a lad I was in awe to get a hold of that car to look at it, one day I got to see it,everything had been changed to save weight ,even the alloy uprights for the front shocks had multiple holes drilled in to save weight as did the modified chassis etc 
The guy that built it and raced it was at that  Model Shop one day, I marvelled  how fast his diffs spun , when I asked how did he get them to spin like that he said no grease run them dry makes them faster , he did the same with the drive shafts to, when that got out everyone one was doing on Sunday race day, those were the good old days lol 

• Like 1

On 1/28/2020 at 5:29 PM, CiganoBoxer said:

In the late 80s the car the won the tamiya cha

Not being augmentative but i find what you say someone what surprising , as back in the day I when I was racing these cars near everyone was using the the super shot set up over the hotshot one and two , everyone preferred the yellow cva quad  suspension set up over the two other versions  ,in fact I recall  Tamiya did the full super shot suspension as a hop up kit for the two lesser hot shot versions .
Throughout the 1980-90s my aunts brothers owned a chain of models shops in the uk called "the model shop" (now called Antics) they actually sponsored the uk driver that actually won the tamiya challenge with a modified super shot running that suspension with a full carbon home-made chassis , as a lad I was in awe to get a hold of that car to look at it, one day I got to see it,everything had been changed to save weight ,even the alloy uprights for the front shocks had multiple holes drilled in to save weight as did the modified chassis etc 
The guy that built it and raced it was at that  Model Shop one day, I marvelled  how fast his diffs spun , when I asked how did he get them to spin like that he said no grease run them dry makes them faster , he did the same with the drive shafts to, when that got out everyone one was doing on Sunday race day, those were the good old days lol 

You resumed a very old post.
Obviously I was speaking about original models, without modifications.
Currently I think that the best option for the best performances with non modified Hot Shot serie models is the Boomerang with Bigwig front suspension arms and dampers.
It's the lighter model with the longer dampers.

Max

Concerning my old post from the far 2014 I was right upon one thing: after 6 years Hot Shot II yet not rereleased.

Max

• Sad 2

On 12/9/2014 at 10:15 AM, kontemax said:

The better is Hot Shot 2 but never rereleased and it will never be.
Max

Never say never 😉

• Haha 4

Oh my God, I wrote "the better?"

Please correct me, I can't bear it.

Sorry, I'm not English mother tongue.

Max

• Haha 2