zomboided

Paint Removal (yet again...)

Hard body (beetle shell), I'm guessing car body paint, plus some labels.

What have people been successful using in this situation? Oven cleaner (and what kind, UK brand), de-solv-it graffiti remover, brake fluid (which DOT?).

Given the cost of a new shell, I'm wondering if it's worth the bother, so I'm looking for something that'll just cause the paint to peel off easily rather than me spending hours sanding!

I have been using either dettol (although expensive, needs to be the antiseptic not the hand cleaner) or oven cleaner (Easy Off Bam, very cheap, but has to contain sodium hydroxide). Dettol just smells, otherwise its pretty harmless to skin with minor contact. With oven cleaner, make sure you ventilate well. I tried brake fluid and found it dried the plastic out, so have avoided that since. Brake fluid success will also depend on the DOT type. Success from each method can depend on the paint type.

Finally post pics of what you try please!

• Like 1

Desolvit all day long, will have it back to bare plastic in half an hour max (3x 10 minute sessions back to back).

Link to buy from Screwfix: http://www.screwfix.com/p/de-solv-it-graffiti-remover-1ltr/45293?cm_sp=Search-_-SearchRec-_-Area1&_requestid=285871

Jonny Retro's excellent guide: http://tamiyabase.com/blog/painting/145-paint-stripping.html

• Like 4

Finally post pics of what you try please!

ALWAYS!

Thanks for the replies gents, I'll give the graffiti removal stuff a go.

Caustic soda worked for me, on a hard beetle shell that had acrylic,polycarb and auto paint on it.....for twenty years.

Desolvit all day long, will have it back to bare plastic in half an hour max (3x 10 minute sessions back to back).

Link to buy from Screwfix: http://www.screwfix.com/p/de-solv-it-graffiti-remover-1ltr/45293?cm_sp=Search-_-SearchRec-_-Area1&_requestid=285871

Jonny Retro's excellent guide: http://tamiyabase.com/blog/painting/145-paint-stripping.html

That Desolvit is great - it shifts anything with out harming the plastic . Local bus company use it on their shelters all the time .

this stuff is also great for removing decals

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/351054901644?clk_rvr_id=747013081010&crlp=1_262531&mt_id=635&sdc_id=1418342039z774232z4c073b0a14249z&mid=424487&fitem=351054901644&linkin_id=8076831&crdt=0&sortbid=20

• Like 1

Bead blasting works perfectly and doesn't damage the shell itself at all, not really a DIY option for most but you can usually find someone locally who can do it quite cheaply.

th_IMG_0245.jpg

I used glass beads at 115 psi (hence bead blasting) steel shot would wreck the body.

I think soda blasting would work well too, so if you have access to a compressor you can make a soda blaster from an air duster nozzle and some PVC tubing.

A +1 for the Desolvit. SteveU30 pointed me to it a little while ago when i wanted to strip a Jugg body. It did in minutes what brake fluid took weeks to do. I was chuffed to bits.

I collected used dot 4 brake fluid from my mate's garage and it stripped the paint off my clod body in big soft flakes without and harm to the plastic.

I'd use it again and again, but i obviously get it for freeso it may not be the cheapest option for everyone

Did you win that green one on evilbay then?

No, but I did win a rather nice dark grey one, with box :-)

You guys using de-solv it, I'm gonna go pick some of this stuff up tonight. How are you applying, just on a cloth all over the body, or some sort of soaking for a period of time? What's the approach here?

No, but I did win a rather nice dark grey one, with box :-)

You guys using de-solv it, I'm gonna go pick some of this stuff up tonight. How are you applying, just on a cloth all over the body, or some sort of soaking for a period of time? What's the approach here?

Have a look at the link I posted above to Jonny Retros guide, I followed that with excellent results.

• Like 1

Heck, I didn't even know there was a guide :huh: I just poured a good dollop on the body and then went to town with a toothbrush - which is what Jonny Retro seems to have done too. Don't forget the gloves or you'll be covered in paint by the end of it all.

From this

27603677659_dd41f69c2f_o.jpg

to this

49861180087_9dd888ba62_o.jpg

to this

49861176947_93ede8268c_o.jpg

To be honest that's about as much of a guide as you need, it really is that easy to work with isn't it?

• Like 1

To be honest that's about as much of a guide as you need, it really is that easy to work with isn't it?

like that old advert - it does what it says on the tin lol

• Like 1

Totally. And thanks for telling me about it too.

• Like 1

That Desolvit is great - it shifts anything with out harming the plastic . Local bus company use it on their shelters all the time . 

this stuff is also great  for removing decals 

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/351054901644?clk_rvr_id=747013081010&crlp=1_262531&mt_id=635&sdc_id=1418342039z774232z4c073b0a14249z&mid=424487&fitem=351054901644&linkin_id=8076831&crdt=0&sortbid=20

Do you just put this stuff straight on the decal then?

• Like 1

Watching this thread with interest as I have two bodies that will need to be stripped. I have de solv it, but i have this strange feeling that the stuff we and the Aussies get might be different to your 'graffiti remover' version :(

Watching this thread with interest as I have two bodies that will need to be stripped. I have de solv it, but i have this strange feeling that the stuff we and the Aussies get might be different to your 'graffiti remover' version :(

Here's the safety data sheet for the UK one, might be worth comparing with the one you can get?

http://www.desolvit.co.uk/userfiles/file/Graffiti%20Remover.pdf

• Like 1

yeah, we don't get the same stuff, which is why I use either dettol or easy off bam.

I was expecting you guys to tell me all to shut up and use search  :D

Top advice, links and pictures, thanks all.

That's why I love this forum, the 'use search' phrase is as good as banned in these parts!

Definition of a forum:

"An assembly, meeting place, television program, etc., for the discussion of questions of public interest."

;)

• Like 1