JennyMo

WBO2014: You say Tow Mater, I say Tam' ata' !

Very nice, widened wheels look seamless, I can never get anything that good when I use filler....

It's now really crying out for something with more poke than the silver can though, and a tiny scale chrome '351' badge just in front of the drivers door, hanging off at 45 degrees :)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MadInventor said:

Very nice, widened wheels look seamless, I can never get anything that good when I use filler....

It's now really crying out for something with more poke than the silver can though, and a tiny scale chrome '351' badge just in front of the drivers door, hanging off at 45 degrees :)

Heh heh, it's a 427 under there baby ;o)

Jx

59 minutes ago, JennyMo said:

Heh heh, it's a 427 under there baby ;o)

Jx

But if you went for a '427' badge, you'd have to fit a 4274 under the shell:

img33435_05122013222408_6.jpg

;)

2 hours ago, MadInventor said:

But if you went for a '427' badge, you'd have to fit a 4274 under the shell:

img33435_05122013222408_6.jpg

;)

Well, not necessarily, You could put in a Blueprint series 427 from BITD, I believe it was made by Trinity. Here is a link to some of my old motors and in the last photo, the 427 is the blue label motor with SPEEDWORKS printed on it. next to the purple Trinity stick pack battery.

http://www.tamiyaclub.com/showroom_model.asp?cid=127914&sid=2640

I came back from the dead just to post that this is mind-blowingly good. What a job Jenny, the double rear wheels just finish it off and those arch mods - W0W!

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, PoormanRC said:

I'm using my second post ever in this forum just to tell you how much I've enjoyed this Build!! B):) 

I've been beating myself up trying to figure out a Body for the CW-01 Chassis, that I've cobbled together piece-by-piece.... Although I wouldn't (and probably couldn't) follow this fantastic work, you have finally given me an idea!! :) 

LOVE the Semi Wheel idea. That's going somewhere else... You've used a paint chipping idea, that I've been using in Model Railroading for years. Never thought of using that weathering technique in 1:10 Scale!! :blink: 

You're an amazing Modeller!!! I hope to find more of your Build.

~ Carmine

Hi Carmine - thank you! You probably saw back on page 2 of this thread that Percymon did start to build a Mater using a Lunchbox (CW) chassis, so the concept is certainly sound!

If you poke around in the Builds (and Crawler) section you should find a few more examples (plus my showroom of course) - my most recent projects have been more true-scale builds including a Defender 90 crawler (suitably weathered too of course) and my current project 'Desmond', which is a chopped HiLux truggy crawler... 

I've been really busy this year with work projects, but I hope to find time to concentrate on more RC stuff again very soon - in fact I've already made a start on the latest series of mods to Desmond, so stand by for some updates in that thread shortly...

Thank you again, and 'more soon' as they say!

Jenny x

• Like 1

9 hours ago, JennyMo said:

in fact I've already made a start on the latest series of mods to Desmond, so stand by for some updates in that thread shortly...

*waits with baited breath*

OK, it's time to dust this one off again - both metaphorically and literally, as Ta'Mater has just spent the last three months in a box on his way west to California!

So some very kind comments included just how 'scale' this build looks compared to some of my others (the big-head Larry Willy driver figure not withstanding of course), and having got more and more involved with scale detailing recently on other builds, I wanted to try something I'd not done before in an effort to get rid of the body-posts in Mater's bonnet - magnets!

i-SzjBgJq-XL.jpg

photo. cutting the original front body posts down to fit the magnet assemblies...

i-NFJVj5X-XL.jpg

photo. well that was simple enough!

Unfortunately the rear posts were already too short to mount the magnet caps at the rear in the same way.. however the existing trimmed posts and pins are pretty well hidden either side of the crane boom on the load-bed already, and look suitably 'technical' anyway I feel?

So all I needed to do now was fill in the original bonnet holes - and Araldite being my goop of choice here meant that it was also an easy way to secure the thinner magnets to the underside of the body-shell:

i-NCSZmNR-XL.jpg

photo. masking tape to give a smooth level for the filler...

i-mNzxkbM-XL.jpg

photo. a dollop of Araldite (2-part epoxy - I like the Rapid version as it goes off in about 5 minutes, and is dry to touch in less than an hour) in each hole as smooth filler and to mount the magnets, then extra glue around the edges to make everything super-secure - these magnets are strong!

i-RLXRnDR-XL.jpg

photo. after an hour, peel off the tape and the filler is essentially smooth enough that it doesn't really need sanding (not on this old rust-bucket anyway ;o)

Retouching

i-khmcQW3-XL.jpg

photo. initially I used some rust red/brown primer - although unfortunately the US paint is noticeably darker/more brown than the typical red-oxide version you get in the UK (where I painted Mater originally), so it needed a little sanding/flatting with 1200 grit wet&dry paper to try and match...

i-93qRpsb-XL.jpg

photo. I then mixed up some acrylic paint to try and more closely match the original bonnet colour and tone/textures...

i-5Dv2jQD-XL.jpg

photo. finally some more sanding and a little black-wash, and the bonnet 'repair' is suitably shabby for this kind of desert weather-beaten truck I feel?

cont.

cont.

Mirrors

The other thing I've wanted to add to Mater for a while now is some period style wing mirrors... Those of you familiar with movie Mater will know that technically they should be the frame suspended truck style mounted off the A-pillars, and while that wasn't really feasible on the Pumpkin shell I thought, some similar door-mounted versions ought to work just as well visually I feel?

i-Ltc2D5G-XL.jpg

photo. no going back now!

i-Q9jKrhr-XL.jpg

photo. these are one of three different designs you get in the Axial Racing mirror and wiper set (one set I already used on the YJ Jeep of course), and I bought this set especially as I felt this design would work well on Mater.

i-GNJVtHB-XL.jpg

photo. a quick splash of red-oxide primer (rust), salt, and aluminium silver spray paint...

i-SrnbLXg-XL.jpg

photo. ...and I'd say those were pretty effective and suitably shabby too?

i-WBT75Xv-XL.jpg

photo. a little Tamiya rust weathering powder and yep, Larry is happy with that...

i-RWJCLTV-XL.jpg

photo. Axial wing-mirror set comes complete with 'mirror' lens decals.

i-QS2m48h-XL.jpg

photo. That's another update well done Louis... all we need are some scale licence-plates now eh? ;o)

Hope you like these latest modifications too!

Jenny x

• Like 5

A finishing touch...

i-L56Fr23-XL.jpg

And I thought the front now looked a bit bare without one too:

i-BNJdJGg-XL.jpg

Jx

• Like 3

There are so many things to like about this truck.

I think the lack of body posts and pins and the addition of the mirrors really take it to a new level.

What I also really like is that 2-3 years after being started you are still detailing it.

Always awesome JennyMo! 

• Like 2

Thank you Grumpy! - yes, having played around with more 'scaler' style models in the past couple of years - those which typically use screws along the sills to mount the body shell to the chassis - I felt the traditional post and pins spoilt an otherwise already scale look for the Pumpkin body - and particularly since that 1950's F-100 bonnet shape is so beautiful, it was a shame to have the pins sticking through it?

I can certainly recommend those magnetic mounts (you can get on ebay etc.) - although as I mentioned above, you do need to be conscious that you need about an inch of post length for them to fit, which is why I had to retain the original posts and pins at the rear... that said, I actually think the combo of magnets at the front and traditional posts on the rear (or sides) of a body would be the best compromise anyway - the magnets are surprisingly strong, but I like the fact the posts help to keep the body aligned - particularly if you were going to drive a car on rough terrain for example?

Of course with a spare pair of mag-mounts now, maybe the STUMPkamper needs a little tweaking too ;o)

Jenny x

Another update on my favourite of your fabulous builds! Like the license plates, but I think they look a little bit too new?:rolleyes:

I would like to see your great wethering skills on them, too.

Kind regards, Matthias

• Like 1