Sign in to follow this  
Mad Ax

WBO2014: Blown57

Speaking of that transmission... Yeah, we had another fail at this point. The once-ubiquitous 'pede tranny of old is not exactly a small lump. In fact I was sorely tempted to abandon it for something lighter, I have an SCX10 tranny but it's for a TLT-axled Clod that I've been meaning to do for years and I can't afford to buy another one this year, so it was 'pede or nothing. Well, I figured it would fit just fine if I got it mounted in the right place.

Several minutes with ruler, set-square and paper and I'd worked out the hole spacing and how far in from the edges everything needed to sit. Measured, marked, drilled...

And it was after drilling that I noticed that the black plate on top of the chassis, where the tranny is going to sit, is actually a little bigger than the chassis rails underneath, and the front bolt hole was just off the end of the chassis rail. Had I checked this before drilling, I could easily have mounted the tranny just a bit further back, but too late, nothing much to be done now but push on with it.

A trip to the workshop to use the pillar drill to widen out the holes under the chassis and it was all good to mount up.

IMG_20150129_203811358_zpsctdsxpnt.jpg

So there it is - I was thinking I was nearly there but actually, there's still a long way to go. Still on my list are:

• Fabricate and glue rear chassis section
  • Stiffen front shock tower and servo mount
  • Fill and re-drill uneven front shock mounting holes
  • Cut propshaft
  • Grind channels for propshaft in chassis spars
  • Reinforce chassis spars where propshaft goes
  • Add extra lengths to stiffen chassis rails
  • Add bracing and gussetting to critical areas
  • Add mounting point for blower detailing (in rough shape of a V8 engine, if space permits)
  • Re-trim front shell, removing front bumper and space for blower scoop
  • Test-fit blower and shell
  • Decide on a mounting mechanism for rear shell, fabricate and test
  • Completely strip chassis to bare plastic, smooth off with power sander and paint
  • Rebuild ancient shocks with softer springs
  • Tidy up messy 'pede tranny casing with power sander
  • Reassemble entire chassis
  • Mask and paint body
  • Fit
  • Take photos
  • Post on Tamiyaclub
  • Open beer
  • Promise never to make a chassis from ABS again, it's a silly idea
See you all sometime in Feb ;)
  • Like 1

Just re-read the whole thread, pure inspiration from the start. You always hit snags with an ambitious project like this and it's been interesting to see how you've overcome them. Love the styrene chassis! Stick with it buddy, can't wait to see more!

cheers,

Rob

• Like 1

Great work!

I had something similar in mind, but using the stock CC-01 chassis... Now you have ruined my plans and I have to build a frame like yours!

• Like 1

I had something similar in mind, but using the stock CC-01 chassis... Now you have ruined my plans and I have to build a frame like yours!

:D

I was planning on using the stock chassis from the start, although with extended links. My links had already been made to fit a Bruiser shell so it would just have been a case of chopping them to size. Then I realised the front end was never going to look right, it needed to sit lower down; I considered chopping the floorpan out of the CC01 chassis and just using the plastic rails but figured I'd have trouble fitting a gearbox so in the end went custom.

If I could come at this one again I'd get a different transmission, something smaller. AX10 is nice and compact.

I'll also never drive this one hard - the front shock tower / servo mount is very flimsy. I'll brace it as much as I can but it's never going to be perfect, and it's going to be impossible to completely get the flex out of the chassis.

In all honesty though it's been an experiment from the start in what can be done with styrene, and where cutting, filing, drilling, and bending aluminium feels like no more than a chore, styrene has been a joy to work with right from the start and can be done indoors, with heating, music, tv, comfy chair and very little mess to clear up afterwards :D

Great build so far. I'm impressed by what you have achieved with styrene. If you're having trouble looking for a transmission, have you though about a direct connect brushless motor from a 1/8 truck. I put a 1/8 4274 brushless in my TXT-1, and I sure it would have no trouble spinning up those small back tires without needing a reduction box. I'm thinking the scale electric equivalent of a 454 chevy ;). Only trouble would be the chassis strength vs motor power.

Great work!

I'd be sorely tempted to break out the 12mm steel box section and the TIG welder to make a chassis. there would be zero chassis flex then.

• Like 1

Wow, how did i missed this build. TC has few talented builders and you my man is one of the few. Seems like you only use regular home tools to make the parts, no special or industrial grade lays or machine tools to make the parts. Lot of pre planning, thinking and time involve.

• Like 1

Wow, how did i missed this build. TC has few talented builders and you my man is one of the few. Seems like you only use regular home tools to make the parts, no special or industrial grade lays or machine tools to make the parts. Lot of pre planning, thinking and time involve.

badword no, I'm just a lazy bum who can't be bothered to do the job properly, and I'm sure the really good builders on here (you know who you are ;) ) can see right through me, I do what I can with my limited time end even more limited patience.

The only machine tool I have access to is a very old pillar drill that belonged to my fiance's father, it's a seriously useful tool for making sure those holes get drilled dead straight. Problem is it's up in that cold workshop and I can never be bothered to go use it :D

UPDATES!!!

It's been ages, but I've had a lot to do - not least making Project Ringpull, but also getting married, going on honeymoon, having a clutch failure on the 1:1 car and all the other small yet time-consuming things that make up the vast kaleidoscope that we call life :)

But over the past couple of weeks I decided to crack on with this again and make a push to get some progress in before I have to shelf it again for an upcoming Dakar project.

So my next plan was to mount the blower. Best way, I figured, was to cut a piece of styrene to cover the transmission and mount the blower on that. So that's just what I did. A little cut-out was made for the spur gear (smallest available for the Traxxas slipper, no less) and a riser added to the front tower. Transmission can still be moved by unbolting from underneath, it just needs to be slid sideways to get it out.

IMG_20150607_193726860_zpsiyiosuom.jpg

The blower unit is from RPM and is pretty neat. I had to Dremel out a little cut to accomodate the spur. It's resting neatly on the plate in this shot - nothing will be stuck in place until the chassis is painted, plus I might still make more of the V8 engine yet to hide the transmission as much as possible.

IMG_20150607_193747258_zpsfwedxak6.jpg

IMG_20150607_193822888_zpsfrjrnj7a.jpg

I thought I might have to trim the blower mounting plate for the rear part of the shell, but it actually fits just perfect as it is. Height it just right. I'll need to think carefully about how to mount the rear part of the shell without having to cut holes for body posts.

IMG_20150607_193850684_zpsp5rdfgxr.jpg

This photo isn't too clear but it's a rough cut into the hood to accommodate the blower. I think the movie car has a slightly wider cutout but I don't want to have too much of the underworkings of the RC transmission on display. But it's not finalised yet - there's plenty of time to make the cut bigger if I end up with a neat-looking V8 underneath.

IMG_20150607_195206805_zpsvtgjqkzw.jpg

Finally, these shots show the whole assembly carefully resting in place using everyone's favourite building accessory, spare wheels! In this shot you can also just about make out where I have cut the bumper and lower valence of the front of the shell, as per the film car.

IMG_20150607_195747110_zpseirxior8.jpg

IMG_20150607_195755140_zps07n0robe.jpg

I think this car will look quite mean when it's finished

IMG_20150607_195802864_zps1uvzz005.jpg

IMG_20150607_195807477_zpsvx71wxbv.jpg

:)

• Like 4