Trini2DBone

Scratch Built RC Holden HX Overlander Panel Van

Awesome work mate. I remember sitting in those old Holden seats in a Kingswood, pretty sure you've really captured them well in your scratch build!

Big Fan of this thread. I remember this car well from the 70's.

• Like 1

Hey thanks guys!

Got another update...!

Getting there with the bucket seats.....taking longer than I thought...just need some fine tuning a bit, although I think that the leather is gonna hide most of the imperfections of the foam...I hope...lol!

Will start on the couches tomorrow.....as well as try to figure out the amount of leather required for the buckets. If I could determine that, I will start the dyeing process as well...

Some pics...

C5B43E0D-9E83-40A1-BDD1-C96759E05A83_zps

FE339E7C-BAC7-4456-8F66-CF79A9D75391_zps

9417013C-E58F-45A2-913F-DC867C6AFC06_zps

FEA14235-1FFC-4FC4-91C8-8C5CFFBACB24_zps

F73D10C7-CA0A-4124-A85F-E87F5AB5600D_zps

CFED0141-F947-41A1-A922-BEEA2B3EA14A_zps

• Like 2

Then you need a driver inside I suppose...

Max

Crossed my mind a few times! Lol! May have to eventually make one myself, good drivers are hard to find! Lol!

image.jpg2_zpsnspvsegx.jpg

Ha ha - actual leather seats - priceless!!!

Of course now we're going to insist that the radio actually works too! ;o)

This gets more awesome every day!

Jx

• Like 1

Ha ha - actual leather seats - priceless!!!

Of course now we're going to insist that the radio actually works too! ;o)

This gets more awesome every day!

Jx

Hey thanks JennyMo!

Working radio huh? Well....I have been thinking about a working flat screen for the Shaggin interior...lol! Like an old iPod or iPhone ...ha!

• Like 2

Hey guys...this is how I'm doing the patterns ....I'm using gaffers tape (I think that's what it's called. It's kinda low tack so won't damaged the foam). I'm hoping that I can get the leather cut like this and bonded properly to the foam.

Lol...it actually looks pretty good with the tape on the foam...! Notice how it completely hides all the defects or faults in my filing and sanding? Lol....!

image.jpg1_zpsmxn5wrju.jpg

image.jpg2_zpscxl5siqw.jpg

image.jpg3_zpsxahky9fm.jpg

image.jpg4_zpsxewyg21o.jpg

An amazing build with meticulous attention to detail ! I've always liked the V8 Holden Panel Vans. Took a sky blue 253 for a test drive once years ago. A very challenging project but I'm sure the end result will be very nice ;)

• Like 1

An amazing build with meticulous attention to detail ! I've always liked the V8 Holden Panel Vans. Took a sky blue 253 for a test drive once years ago. A very challenging project but I'm sure the end result will be very nice ;)

Hey thanks Novastar!

Man this is off the chain lol.. I will dig through my mountain of AMC magazines and see if I have a spare copy of that issue to send you, otherwise I will have to scan or take pics of the pages :)

• Like 1

Man this is off the chain lol.. I will dig through my mountain of AMC magazines and see if I have a spare copy of that issue to send you, otherwise I will have to scan or take pics of the pages :)

Wow! Thanks redzone! That will be great! Will love to have a copy...even if it's scanned!

Hey guys, the center console is about 90% done now....I tried to build it to scale based on pics, but because the tranny hump is a bit high to accommodate the transmission, the console will be sitting higher than it should. I will probably shave down the bottom of the console so it sits lower...

Anywho, some pics....not sure if the armrest will remain foam or if I will make it styrene ...

image.jpg1_zpsxrmhc8lo.jpg

image.jpg2_zpsyiqx4rfa.jpg

• Like 2

Man, you have skills!

Loving this, the attention to detail is mind-blowing.

Coming along nicely as always... Oh this is 860Crawler from rcuniverse and rccrawler. This is my regular username on most other forums.

Speaking of TV in the back, this came across my instagram feed the other day. TV and speakers and what looks like tan leather

Screenshot_2015-02-11-08-14-12_zpsp9hwjc

Coming along nicely as always... Oh this is 860Crawler from rcuniverse and rccrawler. This is my regular username on most other forums.

Speaking of TV in the back, this came across my instagram feed the other day. TV and speakers and what looks like tan leather

Screenshot_2015-02-11-08-14-12_zpsp9hwjc

Hey thanks CoolJetta3 (860Crawler)! Great to see you over here as well! That Audio Video system is sweet! I'm thinking about doing just the flat screen, but using what I have...lol! Will see how it goes...as I haven't figured out how I'm installing it as yet!

Oh I remember getting burned in summer on those seats ;)

Hey thanks BMT!! Hoping that the covers turn out similar...never done anything like this before...!

• Like 1

Got a couple of days off work because of the extreme cold weather we are having...but no work=no pay...!

So decided to suck it up and get the seats covered...

I tried dyeing the one whole piece of leather that I cut off for the bucket seats, and made a big ole mess of it...apparently the way this dye works, is that you have to cover the entire piece in one go, in order to get an even shade. If you stop to load up some more dye, you see the line where you left off on the previous load....if you try to overlap in order to blend it in, the previous area only gets deeper, enhancing the difference...

Since this fiasco I been hedging from working on them...

So the plan is to cut some more leather in to manageable sizes (enough for several pieces of the patterns) maybe 5-6" square, get them dyed and then start cutting the pieces...I may be able to salvage / select some pieces from the messed up piece as well...

In the meantime, just to get my mind off it, I took a few pics of the seats and dashboard and of the re-assembled front clip...

image.jpg1_zpsfgq4dqsu.jpg

image.jpg2_zpsfjzyuegx.jpg

image.jpg3_zpsrgr0c1z0.jpg

• Like 1

First pic....my epic fail from a couple days ago... I used the foam brush but for some reason it left a lot of lines...

Second pic...I could work with this....lol! This time I used the kitchen sponge...lol...the dye is water based so if I rinse it out, I can stick it back in the bottom of the pack of sponges and go :dunno: lol...

Just need to wait for the pieces to dry out and then start cutting out the patterns...

image.jpg2_zps1zmm5suv.jpg

image.jpg1_zpsry42g3wz.jpg

• Like 1

Hey guys...started to work on covering the seats...getting there slowly...

took me all afternoon just to get that done... Gonna be busy all weekend for sure! Lol...!

image.jpg1_zpsj6ql29fe.jpg

• Like 3

looking every good and reminding me more and more of my WB panel van. Such that I think of Pink Floyd now when I see you posts as I use to play them a lot at the time I had my panel van.

looking every good and reminding me more and more of my WB panel van. Such that I think of Pink Floyd now when I see you posts as I use to play them a lot at the time I had my panel van.

Thanks yogi-bear! Lol....wow., I haven't listened to some Pink Floyd in ages...lol!

Hey guys, this is as far as I got tonight...taking a lot of time to do each piece as I don't wanna make a mistake that will show....still need to figure out how I'm gonna cover the bottom of the seat portion...may have to do a new pattern for that area...will continue tomorrow as much as I can.....

image.jpg1_zpsptqtyarj.jpg

your attention to detail - not to mention your skill , is stunning .