Trini2DBone

Scratch Built RC Holden HX Overlander Panel Van

thats a shame about the bending. The rear bumpers look good though, will you try and chrome them somehow?

thats a shame about the bending. The rear bumpers look good though, will you try and chrome them somehow?

Yes chrome paint...but will have to look around to see what's available for painting on the outside of bodies. I have painted chrome before, but on the inside of a lexan body...

HPI Super Nitro Rally that I converted to brushless a few years ago. Suspension was modded (shocks and springs) for on road duty...lol! Don't remember the brand of the spray, but I still have the cans around, will have a look in a while...

image.jpg1_zps46tsqxvd.jpg

Probably is Aclad2. You can try to use the Aclad2 for policarbonate lexan and then paint over il with transparent gloss paint.

Max

Just found the cans! Still a little left in them so maybe I can test on some scrap styrene a bit..

It's called Spaz Stix Ultimate Mirror Chrome. It's a 2 part spray with a 3 stage application process for the lexan. There's a surface pre-prep coat that goes on the lexan, then the mirror chrome paint and finally covered in flat black. Will have to do the procedure opposite if painting on styrene I guess...!

Probably is Aclad2. You can try to use the Aclad2 for policarbonate lexan and then paint over il with transparent gloss paint.

Max

Thanks Max! Will have a look into the Aclad2. Hope they make them in a rattle can version!

Probably you should polish the styrene parts before the paint.

Max

Probably you should polish the styrene parts before the paint.

Max

Yep will definitely have to prime and putty and wet sand a few times to get it as close to a mirror smoothness first or the chrome will look like crapola...ha!
  • Like 1

I'm keen to see how you go with the chroming as I have some vintage parts to re-chrome. Good luck with it!

I'm keen to see how you go with the chroming as I have some vintage parts to re-chrome. Good luck with it!

Thanks mate! Gonna need luck for sure...ha! And an airbrush kit and compressor ! Birthday is coming up soon, so just this morning I told the missus that's what I want...lol! The spaz Stix I used on the lexan body was in an aerosol can, but for these pieces I'll need more control while spraying, so an airbrush / compressor im getting....

Working on that upper tailgate now, so hoping to have another update soon...!

• Like 1

Made a lil progress with the upper tailgate...:D

Made it hollow with supporting ribs instead of solid like the first one, where I just slapped the layers together. This new way I used a lot less bondene, so hopefully it will maintain the shape!

Still need to 'close up' the inner and outer piece where the window goes and then make the window. Will have another go at some hinges and try to get the struts built as well...

Anywho... Coupla pics..:banana: fits nice and flush ....

image.jpg1_zpsvahqroig.jpg

image.jpg2_zpsyhlsg4pm.jpg

image.jpg3_zps75woihub.jpg

image.jpg4_zpsvw3q0wfb.jpg

• Like 2

Oh for the love of...

*throws away all his paints and tools*

• Like 1

Another small :update:....

Got some more done on the tailgate...still needs a bit of sanding...

image.jpg3_zpszoqna4bi.jpg

image.jpg2_zpsiy61bziv.jpg

image.jpg1_zpsti8uf4es.jpg

Also a sneaky peek....lol! Gonna have to re-do it. Used lexan but it was too thick (.7mm) :crazy:...gonna have to try to locate something thinner...

Watcha think?

image.jpg2_zpsqmxqr04f.jpg

image.jpg3_zpst4kdekvf.jpg

image.jpg4_zps0ghy0wy3.jpg

image.jpg5_zps1zdjbaem.jpg

image.jpg1_zpspethnzek.jpg

image.jpg1_zpsjeyb9pm2.jpg

That's incredible work. This is going to look very cool once painted up!

Cheers,

Skottoman

Looks fantastic ! .

That's incredible work. This is going to look very cool once painted up!

Cheers,

Skottoman

Thanks guys!

looking good, reminding me a lot of WB panel van I had! Even after the some 10 years the styling didn't change too much.

I use to get polycarb in 0.25 mm, should still be pretty stiff too.

Or you could try the transparent film they use to bind booklets with. I'm pretty sure you can get in that at around 200 micron too.

looking good, reminding me a lot of WB panel van I had! Even after the some 10 years the styling didn't change too much.

I use to get polycarb in 0.25 mm, should still be pretty stiff too.

Or you could try the transparent film they use to bind booklets with. I'm pretty sure you can get in that at around 200 micron too.

Thanks yogi-bear! I found some clear styrene sheets that were 0.3mm on eBay so ordered a pack of 3 pieces (7"x12"), so hoping that I can form it easier. I have found that running the 0.5mm styrene under the hot water faucet usually makes it easy to bend, then run some cold water over it and it keeps the shape..mostly...lol!

Will also try some material from the 2 liter Pepsi bottle. It's smooth and thin and will already have most of the curvature that's required..

• Like 1

Another small update

Worked on the front slope above the windshield. Getting there I think...:o

Still need to properly round off the corners, but need to let the new piece cure properly then re-enforce the inside of the corners before filing them down...

Once that is done, I'll have to properly line up the front of the green piece, the make the adjustments to the rear of the panels and the tailgate...

Some pics ...before and after...lol...watcha think?

image.jpg1_zpsstrp2coi.jpg

image.jpg1_zpsxvg0dsii.jpg

image.jpg4_zps7fbqwj7b.jpg

image.jpg2_zpsvne4aqwv.jpg

Hey guys....another small update..! :sht:

Yeah...I know I been slacking a bit lately...(for the past 2 years..:facepalm:) ha!

Anywho...got the front area above the windshield rounded off...still need to tidy up the lip area where the top of the windshield goes...also managed to add in the strip at the rear of the side panel so it's not sloping forward as much as it was before...

Did a bit of cleaning up on the right side, puttied some parts, still need to work on it some more...

image.jpg1_zpssm6cb5i2.jpg

image.jpg2_zpsrplqqwbz.jpg

image.jpg3_zpsodxxtpzx.jpg

image.jpg4_zps4poozzc1.jpg

image.jpg5_zpsyuioos9c.jpg

So...anywho.....before I could complete the tailgate area, I needed to get the upper tailgate hinged up and install the struts..

After lotsa head scratching, this is what I came up with....:P

image.jpg1_zpssnmbb5rn.jpg

image.jpg2_zpsnwmktewv.jpg

Edit - gonna try to mod the hinge pin so that I can remove the tailgate (after the roof has been sealed in) in case the hinge gets damaged and I need to repair it...

image.jpg3_zpswcna7fet.jpg

The strut still needs some tweaking, as this is as high as it will hold the tailgate up......

image.jpg4_zpsdu9nm7hl.jpg

It has the proper travel length, just need to make some adjustments so it holds it up at this level...:facepalm:

image.jpg5_zps1aoutqnu.jpg

I tried to get the hinges and struts as close as I could get it to the 1:1.... Maybe 60% there...lol...but I think I can live with it...:P

image.jpg8_zpsdzzmitmr.jpg

image.jpg9_zps3m5mdatm.jpg

And how it looks in the closed position....

image.jpg1_zpstfvyctlj.jpg

image.jpg7_zpsxmesjmlx.jpg

• Like 2

Yeah I don't really have anything to add except "OH MY GOD!" repeatedly.

• Like 1