Trini2DBone

Scratch Built RC Holden HX Overlander Panel Van

looking good! The last 5% will probably take most of the time!

Also did you want to measure up and I can make and send the stickers?

regards

Johann

• Like 1

looking good! The last 5% will probably take most of the time!

Also did you want to measure up and I can make and send the stickers?

regards

Johann

Sounds good Johann...will pm you the info tomorrow ...! And you are right about the last 5% !

Did some work on the tailgate cable support ..this is what I came up with..nothing to fancy...just wanted to make it functional without modding the back frame too much...the string will be painted silver to simulate a steel cable (I'm hoping...lol) and I'll crazy glue the tailgate end like a loop instead of that big ole knot..ha!

Didn't get chance to wet sand last night so will do that tonight and still try to get the painting done...

Some pics...

image_zpsf6la02ej.jpeg

image_zps5n2fo9s7.jpeg

image_zps7mlmhn0u.jpeg

• Like 5

Wow. And I'm just sitting here like.. What an amazing build!

^ this was me ...like 3 1/2 years ago....Lol!

Thanks mate!

Hey guys, another small update...kinda!:blink:

So...Thursday night I got home all prepared to start painting the rear interior...wet sanded the inner roof and the tray and inner sides...dried it off properly etc...hooked up the paint booth then I realized I needed to paint the underside of the body first as it's going in black...

No problem...I got some satin black Krylon paint :nice: lemme just grab some painters tape and tape off so I don't get back black overspray everywhere...

No more painters tape.. so packed it all back up...

Picked up the tape last night after work...and got this done...

image_zpsrwhjgaqn.jpeg

• Like 1

so while the black was drying I decided to paint the inside of the roof panel.... And like a noob I forgot to test spray on some scrap to see what the paint actually looks like....

This is rustoleum high gloss khaki....thinking now that I shouldn't have gone with high gloss..:. It went on pretty thickly... And I'm glad that I did this piece before actually doing the tray and sides... I don't want it too thick that it hides the detail lines and whenever I look at it, I'm thinking it's too glossy for the inside ....I'm not sure how to 'dull' it down...certainly don't want to sand it as will probably be uneven in spots that I can't reach...

Will try to get some daylight pics...maybe it will seem better to me then...

image_zpsz7o4bbtr.jpeg

image_zpsco4biufi.jpeg

image_zpslys1kkw3.jpeg

I have this Tamiya Light Sand that I picked up to do the dashboard, door cards and center console...I may use it to do the tray as it's pretty close to the rustoleum khaki (at least judging by the cap color)... But will have to get a different shade for the dash and other pieces if I do....

What do you guys think?

image_zpsy60l7dt8.jpeg

image_zpsvb0j7wfg.jpeg

• Like 1

Looks good to me. I like multi tone paint jobs. Adds variety. Regarding the roof, get some flat coat to not have it be so glossy. If you do, test on scrap if it's a different brand of paint so you don't have a weird reaction.

• Like 2

Looks good to me. I like multi tone paint jobs. Adds variety. Regarding the roof, get some flat coat to not have it be so glossy. If you do, test on scrap if it's a different brand of paint so you don't have a weird reaction.

Didn't think of that...! Thanks for the headsup...I have some Tamiya flat clear I can try on some scrap..! Awesome!

• Like 1

I wonder if I could find bearings small enough to replace those bushings...I have some tiny stepper motors that could possibly be hidden in a scale alternator to turn those pulleys...lol..will have to attach a fan too, maybe from one of those 1/8 gm muscle car kits from back in the day...that would icing on the cake lol

• Like 1

It's really coming together nicely :D

As for the amount of gloss on the roof, don't worry about it to much, remember they were all painted by the old dipping method back then, so they all had the high gloss finish painted roof, sides, and floor.

So, if your using the same color on the outside as you have put on the roof it will look fine, and, unless your using rattle cans (i hope not), you can thin the paint down more so that you can keep the details visible that you have put into the build.

• Like 2

I wonder if I could find bearings small enough to replace those bushings...I have some tiny stepper motors that could possibly be hidden in a scale alternator to turn those pulleys...lol..will have to attach a fan too, maybe from one of those 1/8 gm muscle car kits from back in the day...that would icing on the cake lol

Now that would be cool , way too cool :lol: .. Good idea , would give it extra touch !! ..

• Like 1

Hey guys...another small update....

Another step closer...:nice: once it's dried properly I will attach the roof and move on to the next step...

Watcha think?

image_zpsldkykp85.jpeg

image_zpsbmiedv5c.jpeg

image_zpsccsuxh6e.jpeg

image_zpsogezgfvv.jpeg

• Like 4

It's really coming together nicely :D

As for the amount of gloss on the roof, don't worry about it to much, remember they were all painted by the old dipping method back then, so they all had the high gloss finish painted roof, sides, and floor.

So, if your using the same color on the outside as you have put on the roof it will look fine, and, unless your using rattle cans (i hope not), you can thin the paint down more so that you can keep the details visible that you have put into the build.

Hey thanks Darat76!

Wasn't aware that that's the method used for painting them back in the day...awesome!

I'll be using Tamiya paint on the outside, so won't really need to worry about the details, just couldn't find the shade in the Tamiya range for the inside...lol.

More to come soon...!

Hey guys, got the roof attached....working on getting the side moldings installed....wasn't gonna post till it was completed....

BUT the pulley kit came in tonight....!!

I assembled it and just had to share it! ...looks pretty sweet! The pulleys do spin, but on bushings...:(. Don't think it was designed for bearings, which would have been awesome...

Got lotsa room for a fan as well!

Anywho.....some pics....Watcha think?

image_zpswd8frftk.jpeg

image_zpso7mmxsiq.jpeg

image_zpsvjarmoj1.jpeg

image_zpsokk4fbn5.jpeg

image_zpsph79xzcq.jpeg

image_zpserbbdnrp.jpeg

image_zps5n3m46kz.jpeg

• Like 4

That looks great bud!

Incredible build so far!

Hey thanks guys! ... Hoping to get some more done soon !

Hey guys... After 4 long weeks, the polyester putty finally arrived couple nights ago... so....an update!

Getting there with the roof...got the side moldings done and installed the drip rails...tidied it up some...also got the tailgate frame sorted and also installed the drip rail there...gonna shoot some primer on the roof tonight, if I can get it done early enough, I might be able to do some wet sanding to find the high and low spots. I'm hoping it will require spot putty only and not more filler...ha! But if it does, well another couple of days...gonna have to figure out how I'm masking off the rear interior before priming as well...

Anywho....some pics..

image_zpsh1iwz81c.jpeg

image_zpsfdcagqzr.jpeg

image_zpshkq6yd1o.jpeg

image_zps8tvf7qeh.jpeg

image_zpsujmtysvl.jpeg

image_zpsyi9zdkb1.jpeg

image_zpsj8hztgbl.jpeg

image_zps82bnngv1.jpeg

image_zpsbu4eajq7.jpeg

• Like 3

I also managed to get the steering sorted...seems to work okay..hopefully it will clear the engine and pulleys okay...will know for sure when I get the engine back...

Got the battery / electronics bay sorted...I may have to trim the lower back portion a bit so that its angled down. I didn't take any pics of it, but thought it looked too 'boxy' .....

image_zpsazn8eo11.jpeg

image_zpsm5jwtore.jpeg

image_zpsk8xwc9c5.jpeg

• Like 4