Trini2DBone

Scratch Built RC Holden HX Overlander Panel Van

I also managed to get the headlights sorted...kinda ! Lol...actually I think they look pretty good...ha! Blazer headlights FTW!

image_zpsninzig0f.jpeg

image_zpskrmlual8.jpeg

image_zpstbsfhq3q.jpeg

image_zpsyk6akuh9.jpeg

image_zpstnc27klr.jpeg

• Like 7

Looking fantastic & loving the 5 window coupe in the back ground :D . Another fine project you have .

Thanks for the update M8 .

awesome work! I can see a huge improvement to the roof line

Looking fantastic & loving the 5 window coupe in the back ground :D . Another fine project you have .

Thanks for the update M8 .

Hey thanks guys!

@ matman - the 5window coupe was built by another member on Scale4x4, hoping I can do some justice to such an exquisite body!

Here's another update...

I did manage to get the interior masked off and the roof primed last night.....however, it's gonna need more filler work..there are some areas that spot putty will fix, but some major areas that need work or it will show up with paint....

Anywho some progress pics....

image_zpstnotdkso.jpeg

image_zpstfhjlfwd.jpeg

image_zpsvkf3ookx.jpeg

image_zpsixymyxjx.jpeg

image_zps2s6kpy4d.jpeg

image_zps3zkfujgi.jpeg

• Like 4

It all looks amazing on my little tablet screen. Which areas are you concerned about?

It all looks amazing on my little tablet screen. Which areas are you concerned about?

Hey thanks XV Pilot! I also mostly use an iPad for posting and viewing and I tend to pic the best pics to post up...lol! In the pics below, you can see the flat spot running along the edge of the roof where it turns down to meet the side panels. It's more pronounced on the right side but it's also there on the left. Also on the right side you can see a depression in the middle section along the edge. On the left side the depression is more to the rear...

I usually use a flat block for shaping and sanding, and generally it's worked on the other areas of the body, but I just haven't quite found the technique using it to form these curves. I think part of the problem is when it's the raw styrene it's harder to see it. Planning to lay down some polyester putty, then try using a guide coat of paint to see the progress as I sand...

image_zpslevgdiq2.jpeg

image_zps6cgcvzxl.jpeg

image_zpsawvvqe1l.jpeg

image_zpseotimtrp.jpeg

image_zpsyeakvl00.jpeg

• Like 2

Don't feel bad about having those imperfections showing up like that, panel beaters used to hate all versions of the holden panel van, along with the ford one, coz those roof curves could be a right royal pain to get right, to a lesser extent the wagon models had the same issue, and both were compounded when the cars came out with the factory roof rack and roof rails.

As for the car, it is looking amazing, really looking forward to seeing the final color on it :D

• Like 1

Don't feel bad about having those imperfections showing up like that, panel beaters used to hate all versions of the holden panel van, along with the ford one, coz those roof curves could be a right royal pain to get right, to a lesser extent the wagon models had the same issue, and both were compounded when the cars came out with the factory roof rack and roof rails.

As for the car, it is looking amazing, really looking forward to seeing the final color on it :D

Hey thanks mate! I hear you... I can just imagine the nightmare working on these roofs on the 1:1!

Got this in my inbox this morning (The ad, not the motor)

And click Mute, because Chris is annoying (:

Got this in my inbox this morning (The ad, not the motor)

And click Mute, because Chris is annoying (:

Lol..! Yep...those add ons are amazing! I should be getting it back next week...!

• Like 2

Hey guys...guess who crawled out from under his rock....:facepalm:
Can't believe that it's been three months since my last confess.....ermmm I mean post...

Things have been a bit hectic but I have managed to make a bit of progress...up until last week it's been the odd 30 mins to an hour here and there....hoping to have a lot more time now....
So .... Here we go....

I got the body mounted, made some tabs that slot into the front of the chassis and got some magnets dialed in at the back under the tray that locks it in...seems to work pretty good...haven't taken pics of it however, if anyone is interested I can post up a couple so you see what I mean...

Finally found the color that I want...

You remember these...too dark....
image_zpsspnodltr.jpeg

Picked these up....too light and just wasn't doing it for me...

image_zpsv0npaed2.jpeg

Then I found this....wooot!!  Saweeet....!! 
And like a doofus, I bought the wrong clear coat...bought enamel when I need lacquer...:banghead::
AND now I gotta re-prime in white to really show up this color....:banghead::banghead:

image_zpsejrkeahs.jpeg

Here's the three of them together.....

image_zpsl9veix1q.jpeg

Made some progress on the dashboard and interior pieces...still need to paint the instrument panel

image_zps2lp9wyyj.jpeg
image_zpsdfkzgmim.jpeg
image_zpscossybxs.jpeg

Also did a bunch of work on the roof again...finally got it to where it's acceptable...any issues that crop up now is gonna remain....:huh:
Got the hood and the nose panel primed and wet sanded nice and smooth...heh...it's even got a bit of a gloss on it...

image_zpssinu7ibo.jpeg

Broke out the seats again for some comparison pics.....:drool:

image_zpsb8fmtsbf.jpeg
image_zpsbxyubgkm.jpeg

• Like 7

Got some more done on the instrument panel...the grey area is still primer, got some titanium silver paint for it, just didn't have the time to mask it off.....in retrospect, I should have painted the silver before masking off to paint the black...doh...:facepalm:

The vents on the passenger side of the dashboard needs to be black as well...not sure how much time I will have this weekend to do those ...
I also started to paint the grille but didn't take any pics....the center is going in semi gloss black and the outer part will be chrome...

Anywho....some pics.....

image_zps2b08mtca.jpeg
image_zpsuxhjmdbo.jpeg
image_zpso18vjojk.jpeg
image_zps8ukokgxj.jpeg
image_zpsa4wrj5vh.jpeg
image_zpszh1jqkwn.jpeg
image_zpsiitm6zbx.jpeg

• Like 6

5 hours ago, Trini2DBone said:

Got some more done on the instrument panel...the grey area is still primer, got some titanium silver paint for it, just didn't have the time to mask it off.....in retrospect, I should have painted the silver before masking off to paint the black...doh...:facepalm:

The vents on the passenger side of the dashboard needs to be black as well...not sure how much time I will have this weekend to do those ...
I also started to paint the grille but didn't take any pics....the center is going in semi gloss black and the outer part will be chrome...

Anywho....some pics.....

image_zpsuxhjmdbo.jpeg

good to see your posting updates again and that dash is looking awesome! Looking forward to seeing that orange colour on, that will come up looking pretty sweet.

Thanks yogi-bear! Hoping to have some time next week to prime the body in white, then let it dry properly for a couple days before wet sanding.....so hopefully laying down the orange in two weeks or so...

• Like 1

Hey guys, another small :update:  

Well the last two-three weeks were a bit hectic....moved upstate to work for the summer...things are finally settling down a bit, so will have some more time to continue..brought the Sandman with me, as well as my airbrush and paints and whatever I thought I might need to try to finish the painting etc...

So....last night I got the passenger vents in the dashboard painted in black as well as the instrument panel in titanium silver...will try to get a daylight pic of just the dash when I get home tonight..
I had previously painted the grille in semi gloss black and have taped off the center to start laying down the black backer then the chrome on the surrounding area, will get the front bumper done at the same time...will really try to get this done tonight..
Also before I start to prime the body in white, I will have to paint the brake master cylinder/booster in the black backer as well, as I want to 'chrome' the master cylinder. So will need to tape off this area in the engine bay as well...will also do the blower box / ac thingy on the other side of the firewall as well...
I did some more wet sanding on the roof and the sides of the body, took it down 2000 grit, so hopefully the white coat of primer won't need much work...

Anywho....some pics....

image_zpsjagvsbcv.jpeg
image_zps5cnjnhjd.jpeg
image_zpszte1bcgd.jpeg
image_zpsdza3qhfq.jpeg
image_zpslejtn2w6.jpeg
image_zps2bx0aefx.jpeg

• Like 3

What an outstanding build! Looking forward to your next update!

1 hour ago, TurnipJF said:

What an outstanding build! Looking forward to your next update!

Hey thanks mate! More to come soon!

looking good B)

just out of curiosity, how are you going to do the windscreen?

37 minutes ago, yogi-bear said:

looking good B)

just out of curiosity, how are you going to do the windscreen?

Thanks yogi-bear ! 

Im using some really thin clear styrene...its lees than .5mm thick. I have already made a template out of regular white .5mm sheeting...actually I made it out of cardboard first, then used that as a pattern for the white styrene to see how the curves should be...then I did a quick test using the clear styrene. Will have to tweak it slightly, but it should work...

the plan is to cut the shape and start the curves by hand and then use some tamiya thin black double sided tape to seal it in....hoping that this will work ...lol!  The windscreen frame as well as the door window frame will be black so the tape should blend in....:blink:

Got the chrome laid down on the grille....and like a big dummy, I think I left the emblems back home...really thought I brought them along with me....will have another look for them in a while....
Think I messed up the top of the front bumper...havent sprayed the chrome as yet, just the black...basically you spray it on thick so it levels out and dries with a mirror like smoothness....so I decided to speed up the drying by using a hair dryer, didn't realize that it was on high, so it blew the paint into ripples....:facepalm:  when it dries I will have to level it out with some wet sanding...then respray the black...:wacko: the sides look okay...its just the top.....will try to get a few more daylight pics in the morning before I go to work...

You can see the side of the bumper looks nice and smooth...and you can see the ripples on the top....looks okay on the car, but the chrome is gonna highlight every detail of the ripple...:puke:
Can't believe I left the emblems back home...would have loved to see how it looked against the black grille with the chrome surround....

Watcha think?

image_zpshc7cmgsx.jpeg
image_zpsl2l0jdes.jpeg
image_zpsqv7hvsdp.jpeg
image_zpswo0dmxue.jpeg
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, TurnipJF said:

That chrome looks superb!!

Thanks mate! 

Lol....I keep forgetting that I need to do the steering wheel spokes in chrome as well...:rolleyes: