Trini2DBone

Scratch Built RC Holden HX Overlander Panel Van

oddly enough, I've never seen one with true chrome spokes, polished alloy, and brushed aluminium I have seen plenty of on both sides of the tasman

Hey guys...another small :update:

Go the body primed in white....taped it off and painted the master cylinder and blower thingy in black....will chrome the master cylinder but leave the vacuum booster in black....will also chrome the blower motor but leave the blower box in black... Hoping I can get this done tonight...  the next time I will have to make these 'bolt ons' so it can be painted separately, so no need for all the taping etc....was a nightmare to get the black sprayed on..
Once I get this done and it dries out will, need to wet sand the white primer and then tape off the area around the door frame and get it painted black, as well as tape off the taillight area and lay down the chrome....
Then finally start laying down the orange...

Anywho....some pics...

image_zps3jz384iv.jpeg
image_zps4ngdcat9.jpeg
image_zps80mpo7xo.jpeg
image_zps2ayknoff.jpeg
image_zpsbvkjbzx1.jpeg
image_zpsin4zus94.jpeg
image_zpssnfeiykq.jpeg
image_zpsx2kzwhfc.jpeg
image_zpsmng6gzkj.jpeg
image_zpsxuqge9m5.jpeg
  • Like 6

Woohoo , it's starting to come together . 

:D , looking forward to this & seeing the colour on it .  

Great to see you are at the paint stage ! Can't wait to see the completed project & engine bay, hope your top coats go well.

4 hours ago, matman said:

Woohoo , it's starting to come together . 

:D , looking forward to this & seeing the colour on it .  

32 minutes ago, Novastar said:

Great to see you are at the paint stage ! Can't wait to see the completed project & engine bay, hope your top coats go well.

Thanks guys!

• Like 1

Got another small :update:

Laid down the chrome and buffed it a bit ...as well as I could anyway, considering how cramped it is to get the corners ...lol. 
Gonna have to do some tidying up along the edges where the black looks jagged, before taping off to lay down the body color...hoping that the engine will partially obscure it as well....lol....

Anywho...some pics....Watcha think? Will get some daylight pics tomorrow before I head out to work....

image_zpsszxvxchz.jpeg
image_zpsocqqzowc.jpeg
image_zpsvqakiu25.jpeg
image_zps8xznrjyq.jpeg
  • Like 5

Looking good especially once the black is tidy ! I hope you have a steady hand, I had issues doing that kind of thing with the old 1:35 military stuff I used to try. 

5 minutes ago, Novastar said:

Looking good especially once the black is tidy ! I hope you have a steady hand, I had issues doing that kind of thing with the old 1:35 military stuff I used to try. 

Thanks Novastar!  Lol...taping it off was a task for sure!  The next time I build something like this I will have to make the parts separate and modular...it may take some more time to shape and fit, but will be easier to paint and assemble in the end...not really looking forward to taping it off to apply the body paint...lol... Hoping that the engine and engine bay components will obscure any oopsies....lol! 

• Like 1

ok, the orange isn't that good, will work on that, but here is a mockup with stickers, blue/purple and red/orange. Are there any other colour combinations you want to see?

SANDMAND_trace_v2-01.png

SANDMAND_trace_v2-02.png

• Like 3

Hey guys, 
Got another small :update: ....kinda...:wacko:

Got the black painted on the door frames and the windscreen area...peeled off the tape after it dried and holy crap....! Seems like my taping ain't so good....not sure what went wrong...:crazy:
Tried to clean it up some with some thinners and cue tips....

image_zpseh9xvjuf.jpeg
image_zpsrl4l0xkf.jpeg
image_zpswg6sya07.jpeg
image_zpsasr2f33d.jpeg

Also did the taillights....seems like I had better luck here....

image_zpsz90qd8yf.jpeg
image_zpsvrzcleql.jpeg
image_zpspg3orwgh.jpeg
image_zpslgvbybr0.jpeg

So .... did some digging on the interwebs...found a trick that some modelers use to help prevent bleed through...after applying the tape, mist on some clear coat to seal the edges, the apply the next color coat...
So decided to try this....taped off the black, misted on some clear, then applied some white primer to cover up the black smudges....after it dried, did some wet sanding with 2000 grit sandpaper.....

image_zpsnwx9khgl.jpeg
image_zpsw7rsqrse.jpeg
image_zps0bdgdmpl.jpeg
image_zpszznegzf7.jpeg
image_zpsn65bm4hy.jpeg

So ...now that I got everything taped off and primed up...thought I'd pop open a can of paint and lay a mist coat down...
Holy bejeesus..! This is a new sealed can...:crazy:  

Well....gonna have to try it anyways....

image_zpsqpyc2r4n.jpeg
image_zps60ykutyo.jpeg
image_zps3fkmvgbw.jpeg

Wooot!  Got Mango? 

It woiked!!:excited:

When it dries, I'll take off the tape...hopefully that worked as well ....:wacko:

Still need to do the upper tailgate, didn't get a chance to tape it off and lay down the black around the window...:facepalm:
Will try to get that done tomorrow ... Will also get some daylight pics in the morning....will need to let the paint dry for a couple days then lay down some clear coat...tomorrow will have a look at it in proper light (it was late when I painted it ) to see if there are any issues like runs or orange peel...

Anywho...some pics, Watcha think?

image_zpsytpdy93h.jpeg
image_zpsbqlrdsxm.jpeg
image_zpsjrlq3k4z.jpeg

• Like 11

8 hours ago, Theibault said:

The color looks fantastic!

6 hours ago, chevelle said:

Oh WOW! Nice work buddy :D

5 hours ago, yogi-bear said:

that is a nice colour!

3 hours ago, ChrisRx718 said:

Looks ace :)

Thanks guys!  I'm actually kinda surprised at the shade of the color...it almost seems closer to the papaya that the 1:1 comes in... Very happy here...lol! 

Will try to grab some daylight pics before I head off to work this morning.....

• Like 1

"WELL" "well" We have colour , after all these months of your hard work . 

Looks Fantastic & thanks for letting us in on your master work on this . For the past months / all most seems years :lol: . 

It's coming together well . Keep up the great work you have been doing & thanks . 

Nice colour .. 

• Like 1

Thanks matman!

Some daylight pics... Was a bit overcast this morning so not very bright light by the window so took it outside for a few pics...didn't get chance to inspect the paintwork cause I had to run off to work....lol

Anywho...some more pics...

image_zpsqkuzdykf.jpeg
image_zpsmjdp5637.jpeg
image_zpsy09zja28.jpeg
image_zpsntszawdh.jpeg
image_zpsrdlw5qk6.jpeg
image_zpsucsk6nd5.jpeg
image_zps3q30akx5.jpeg
image_zpsj5jrsl4x.jpeg

• Like 9

I only recently stumble upon this post and all I have to saw is :o WOW, :o HOLYMOLY, :o AMAZING!!!

The level of detail is astonishing. Can't wait to see more.

3 hours ago, Mannyp1980 said:

I only recently stumble upon this post and all I have to saw is :o WOW, :o HOLYMOLY, :o AMAZING!!!

The level of detail is astonishing. Can't wait to see more.

Thanks man!

looking really good now. When you get a chance, can you resend the back, and side shots with it on the chassis and I'll re-do the mockups with the stickers.

• Like 1

I want to see this finished model in a racing track against the monster trucks :D

Max

18 minutes ago, yogi-bear said:

looking really good now. When you get a chance, can you resend the back, and side shots with it on the chassis and I'll re-do the mockups with the stickers.

Thanks yogi-bear...will get them done tonight and send them off to you! 

1 minute ago, Trini2DBone said:

Thanks yogi-bear...will get them done tonight and send them off to you! 

hmm, just had a thought, can you add a top down shot as well, and maybe a front on shot?