Trini2DBone

Scratch Built RC Holden HX Overlander Panel Van

1 hour ago, topforcein said:

Are you planning on selling any of them other engine cases????

Actually yes, I made some extras in the event that people who follow along on my thread are interested...lol ! It's not flawless, but they look pretty good with paint and the added parts! Also it will help me to recover some of the cost in making it as well as allow me to get more of the resins etc needed to make some more if more chaps want them...! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, topforcein said:

That's great news im sure your gonna sell many.

Any idea how much 

I'm asking for 55.00 shipped in the US. Im not sure that I'll be making a lot of them as it's a pretty time consuming process for me.  I live in a tiny apartment, I don't really have the space to do multiples at a time...lol..just the corner area where you see my work bench. It takes me the better part of an hour to make a complete set and then another 30 mins to clean up the pieces (trimming and sanding).  With the time available to me at the moment to make these, I can see myself making maybe 5 - 7 a week....lol! 

If you are interested in them, send me a pm!

So last night I had this urge to paint .... An engine....! 
I haven't actually painted any of the V8s that I built so decided to spend some time painting one......yeah I know...slacking off on working on the Sandman again...!

Anywho....here's what I came up with.....I forgot to build the dipstick....and couldn't decide on a color for the oil filter...

image_zpsdgkukwh2.jpeg
image_zpsonbnicvd.jpeg
image_zpsfdlfjkz6.jpeg
image_zpsqmthoeku.jpeg
image_zps3yep8uwm.jpeg
image_zpsk6hhze7h.jpeg
image_zpsekdbusfu.jpeg
image_zpszq7r45sr.jpeg

More soon....lol ......

• Like 3

Well....not too shabby for a first attempt...   Not sure if that's what Chevy orange is supposed to be, but that's  the closest I could get it with the paints I had on hand.... The intake manifold is Tamiya titanium silver, and the exhaust manifolds are the same, but over high gloss black... The valve covers look blackish in the first few pics, but I think that's because of the table lamp I was using ....the other pics I took using just the room light....

Watcha think?

image_zpsohi7bsvg.jpeg
image_zps1sr5vqwa.jpeg
image_zpsjrofxhik.jpeg
image_zpsrn9nijpt.jpeg
image_zpsk1e1vl86.jpeg
image_zpsmekbjtj2.jpeg
image_zps2db6bpyn.jpeg
image_zpsqfmhmol9.jpeg
image_zpstcpakp49.jpeg
image_zpswkyexp5t.jpeg
image_zpsywyglhhr.jpeg

• Like 8

I'm going crazy with this thread, can't wait to see this model finished but it seems infinite...

Max

On October 15, 2016 at 3:58 PM, MadInventor said:

Looks great

On October 16, 2016 at 11:25 PM, kontemax said:

I'm going crazy with this thread, can't wait to see this model finished but it seems infinite...

Max

Hey thanks guys! More to come soon!

Hey guys...another small update..! 

So....managed to figure out how the engine is bolting to the tranny...:p....then got the whole drive train mocked up in the chassis...

The Good news...the steering linkage clears the block and the exhaust manifolds, forgot to take a pic with the manifold on the block ...:facepalm:  may need to shave a couple mms off the inside of the manifold to give a bit more room, but no biggie as its got enough 'meat' on there to lose it...lol! 
The drag link also clears the crankshaft pulley nicely! So I will think that the steering is good to go...;)
The alternator also clears the frame rail by about 2mms....

The bad news...with the weight of the motor, and the different motor mounts for the tranny, there's like 1-2mm clearance between the oil pan and the diff casing , but it's not really a big issue and the entire oil pan is solid polyurethane resin, so I can shave a could of mms off in that area without too much trouble....!

Also...ran into an issue connecting the driveshafts to the diffs.....the diffs are the SDIs which have a 4mm output shaft and the driveshafts are the TF2s, which has an inner bore of 5mm...so I managed to make some spacers to fit...hopefully they will work out and last a while......lol!
So anywho some pics....Watcha think?

image_zps32cfl2g7.jpeg
image_zps17vv7h5j.jpeg
image_zpsdreknsgx.jpeg
image_zpscwzdfrid.jpeg
image_zpshtkoftbc.jpeg
image_zpsxsierfdc.jpeg
image_zpsqzsn6tib.jpeg

• Like 4

Then I just had to mock up with the body on....! 
With the radiator in there, I have 8mms of space for the clutch fan to fit...!  but that should be enough...lol...!

Will have to get cracking on getting the fan sorted tonight so I can verify that it's okay! 
The battery came in today...but still waiting on the connectors so I can make the splitter cable! 
Gonna have to make a custom low profile air cleaner pan by adding some styrene so it drops down closer to the intake...only got like about 4mms clearance for the hood to close properly....

Anywho...some more pics...and some more to come soon!

image_zpsjps0hy2s.jpeg
image_zps6abgtgc4.jpeg
image_zpshbedrvqx.jpeg
image_zpscxnk8fkc.jpeg
image_zpse3zpfup9.jpeg
image_zpsagxgr6io.jpeg
image_zpsovzixtgi.jpeg
image_zpswhe8oncw.jpeg
image_zpsyt5dvmfj.jpeg

• Like 12

That looks awesome, I'm just noticing the detail on the bonnet hinge, the 'edelbrock' embossed on the rocker covers, very, very impressive. Are your going to bother with scale coolant hoses, sparks leads, etc ?

The engine is reminds me of the block I had in my firebird, but yours doesn't have petrol pooled on the inlet manifold from a leaky carb like mine did ;)

• Like 1

I haven't checked into this thread in a long time, but the latest pictures are just fantastic!  Keep up the phenomenal work!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MadInventor said:

That looks awesome, I'm just noticing the detail on the bonnet hinge, the 'edelbrock' embossed on the rocker covers, very, very impressive. Are your going to bother with scale coolant hoses, sparks leads, etc ?

The engine is reminds me of the block I had in my firebird, but yours doesn't have petrol pooled on the inlet manifold from a leaky carb like mine did ;)

Hey thanks mate!  The rocker covers are from this kit that I picked up from Rogue Element Components...it has the plug wires, distributor, coil and air cleaner as well as the looms for the wires...lol....once I'm done with the body and details and the car is running properly, I'll finish the details on the engine..I will be fabbing up some hoses etc, but they will have to be easily removable for when I need to take the body off the chassis .....

this is what the kit looks like....I'm thinking about painting the wires the same color as the car....not sure yet though....lol!

[URL=http://s85.photobucket.com/user/Prestonlal/media/image.jpg2_zpshv6r3hhn.jpg.html]image.jpg2_zpshv6r3hhn.jpg[/URL]

image.jpg1_zpshw5ttt9y.jpg

2 hours ago, speedy_w_beans said:

I haven't checked into this thread in a long time, but the latest pictures are just fantastic!  Keep up the phenomenal work!

Thanks speedy!

Really awesome to see it coming this close to completion ! The Engine looks very much at home in there :) 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Novastar said:

Really awesome to see it coming this close to completion ! The Engine looks very much at home in there :) 

6 hours ago, Tamiyabigstuff said:

Outstanding work, detail is exceptional !

Reminds of the Holden Sandman HJ from Mad Max. 

Hey thanks guys! More to come soon! 

• Like 1

Hey guys.... Well...it's been a month already...:o but I finally think I have everything I need to move forward....

Now I got to stick all of this..

image_zpshqzxz085.jpeg
image_zpsuucjwvin.jpeg

In here....:huh: :blink: :o

image_zpsj91cldsh.jpeg

In the meantime .... Here's a few pics while I get jiggy with it....will have a progress update later tonight...

image_zpspba2o4i7.jpeg
image_zpsfn4vthzv.jpeg
image_zpsbjowvyzq.jpeg
image_zpsbaasadlj.jpeg
image_zpspvadvv9h.jpeg
image_zpsktfzfurh.jpeg

• Like 2

Didn't get as far as I hoped but did manage to make some progress...:blink:

Decided that the first thing to do was get the heat sink sunk...lol!  I found an Integy Heatsink that came with a fan, but didn't need the fan.....but the heatsink lined up pretty sweet! The only real issue was that I needed to widen the hole where the motor goes, and hollow out the oil pan the the heat sink fins fit in there...

image_zpsnrdsvgag.jpeg
image_zpshwicpgxt.jpeg

Removed the fan from the heat sink and stripped the engine to near nekkid ... Then covered up the pulley system and grabbed my trusty proxxon rotary tool ! 

image_zpsbyiyw6p0.jpeg
image_zpsl6llguph.jpeg

Got the ole redneck sanding cabinet out and added some high tech lighting...lol

image_zpsxoldeysh.jpeg
image_zpsxgelkxal.jpeg
image_zpsyuzcmrhv.jpeg

Not bad...still needs a bi of tweaking...so that the tranny bolts up flush to the motor.

image_zpsjk2qlhn1.jpeg
image_zpsyf5mnukt.jpeg

Will continue tomorrow ... Once I get it tweaked properly, will go ahead with the wiring...

• Like 10