Trini2DBone

Scratch Built RC Holden HX Overlander Panel Van

Recommended Posts

Been watching this one for a while. Still an amazing project. Fantastic quality work.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Pablo68 said:

Been watching this one for a while. Still an amazing project. Fantastic quality work.

Hey thanks Pablo68! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey guys...not much of an update ...:blink::  more like another 2 steps back...ha...:o:  like a doofus, I completely forgot that I needed to shave the oil pan and the oil pan sump to get a few more mms of clearance for the diff...so I won't be using the heat sink because the fins are the height of the oil pan sump, and I don't really want to cut those....::blink:which also means that I basically ruined the engine..:mad: no biggie really because I had a spare...:nice:
So spent most of tonight shaving the oil pan, and shaving off the timing cover and drilling holes to mount the pulley system on the new engine. So tomorrow night after work, I will begin soldering the wires and connectors etc to get the chassis completed.
Here's a few pics of the new engine and the clearance as well as a comparison to the old engine...

image_zpsqqlvhvdk.jpeg
image_zpsqvxspt3b.jpeg
image_zps9rwwou6g.jpeg
image_zpsihoelhv0.jpeg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So why don't you cut the lower part of the sump off & put the heat sink in it's place , with it trimmed

to look like a finned sump ? .  Or an alloy finned sump ( paint the sump alloy colour ) ? as this would help the cooling .

Just an idea & then you maybe able to use the motor you have cut , no loss & add's another custom look &

Usefulness all in one .. Keep up the great work & thanks ..  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, matman said:

So why don't you cut the lower part of the sump off & put the heat sink in it's place , with it trimmed

to look like a finned sump ? .  Or an alloy finned sump ( paint the sump alloy colour ) ? as this would help the cooling .

Just an idea & then you maybe able to use the motor you have cut , no loss & add's another custom look &

Usefulness all in one .. Keep up the great work & thanks ..  

Now this, my friend, is why I love these forums!  That is an excellent idea! Cant believe it never crossed my mind...lol! But I think I will save it for the blazer I want to build...lol... The Sandman will not be driven hard enough to overheat the motor lol...so will continue for now with the new engine install. If the motor does over heat, at least I will have a plan of action to fall back on ! I will have to trim the heat sink fins in order for it to work with the Sandman, but I think your idea will definitely work.  Sweet! 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wooot!  Christmas came early this year!  

Lookee what showed up today!  :woohoo::woohoo::woohoo: :D

image_zps7srpvhzj.jpeg

Huge HUGE thanks to yogi-bear for these! These are so well done, they will be the icing on the cake for me!  

:wub:

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, oz-trash-cowboy said:

Great work. Love the dust cabinet!!! 

Hey thanks mate!   However, I can't take credit for it...Lol....it's what happens when you get wasted on resin dust particles, only to find out afterwards that it's not good for ya ( is anything ever? ) .... So had to find a solution on a broke mofo budget...came across this on Google ....works pretty sweet! Even made an area to connect a vacuum cleaner hose....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thats pure gold!!!

Microfiber might make for a reasonable mattress??

This sends me back many years. I can remember seeing these ( 1:1 ) lined up at the beach at ocean grove. As a child. It was a special treat to get fish and chips for dinner and eat them sitting in the car watching the surf.

How about a monaro with fluffy dice next???  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, oz-trash-cowboy said:

Thats pure gold!!!

Microfiber might make for a reasonable mattress??

This sends me back many years. I can remember seeing these ( 1:1 ) lined up at the beach at ocean grove. As a child. It was a special treat to get fish and chips for dinner and eat them sitting in the car watching the surf.

How about a monaro with fluffy dice next???  

Hey thanks mate!  Already got the Shaggin interior completed...almost really...still need to chrome the dancing pole...lol! I'm using a terry (?) cloth rag to simulate the shag flooring , seats and wall panels have been covered with sheepskin leather that's been dyed white!

 

i do want to do a monaro, but an HQ not the HX...!  Will need get some pics though...you don't happen to have a 1/18 diecast HQ monaro , do you? Need some pics from directly overhead of the bonnet and hood as well as full frontal and back shot...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

there are some good images of the Q monaro on the net, but none looking at the top panels that I saw.

It's been a long time since I was close up to a Q, but I believe the whole line of models (HQ, HJ, HX, HZ, and WB for the most part) have the same lines all over, cept for the tail lights, and the park and indicator lights, which are all in the bumpers on the Q, and in the body on the rest.

are you thinking of doing the 2 door or the 4 door version?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Darat76 said:

there are some good images of the Q monaro on the net, but none looking at the top panels that I saw.

It's been a long time since I was close up to a Q, but I believe the whole line of models (HQ, HJ, HX, HZ, and WB for the most part) have the same lines all over, cept for the tail lights, and the park and indicator lights, which are all in the bumpers on the Q, and in the body on the rest.

are you thinking of doing the 2 door or the 4 door version?

 Would like to build the 2 door (coupe) version.  The panel Van that I built is supposed to be the HX, I believe that the HJ ,and maybe the HZ has the the same bonnet, trunk lid , nose panel (except for the quad headlight version)and front and rear bumpers. There may be some slight differences that i missed. 

But I believe that for  the HQ , those parts are different . That's why I wanted the pics, to get a better perspective / proportions on those parts and how they line up with the body.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

there are quite a lot of front, rear, and 3/4 shots of the HQ Monaro Coupe in the original Mad Max film, it's the black interceptor in the first chase scene with "the night rider" at the wheel.

also, there aren't all that many differences in the body panels, just the nose cone and bonnet/hood/engine covering panel, the front guards, doors and boot are the same, the body itself only differs in the tail light assembly location, which moved from the rear bumper on the HQ, to the rear quarter panels for the next 3 models, the chassis, engine, gearbox, and diff's were the same through the range, with a slight change introduced to the suspension in the later models, which was RTS (Radial tuned suspension).

A one eyed old school holden fan could prolly give you a full run down and itemised listing of every difference between all the holdens with that base body style

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, zomboided said:

Amazing work, terrible driving ;)

Are you going to have a driver?

Lol..!  Thanks... !  Yeah I suck at driving...haven't really had any practice since I started the build a couple years ago...lol!

was hoping that this guy would get the job...turns out he's only 5" tall...scales out to 4'2" .... So he got flush duty instead....lol! 


image_zpsziu3lhli.jpeg

 

still looking for a driver...ideally, he should be in his mid fifties with a receding hairline and a potbelly...lol!  This car is gonna be his 'glory days'!  Lol!

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Trini2DBone said:

still looking for a driver...ideally, he should be in his mid fifties with a receding hairline and a potbelly...lol!  This car is gonna be his 'glory days'!  Lol!

 

if you can't find anything, I'm happy to give a crack at 3D printing something. Scaling is easy, and there is a bit of choice on places like thingiverse, there is this  adjustable figurine (but there would probably be a bit of cleanup and finishing work) or there are lots of statues, although designs seem to be heavily in favour of women or action figures!

I like the idea of an adjustable version as you could hook the arms up to a steering wheel and servo for a bit more realism.

Love the idea of a HQ Monaro as well, and now that you've said it you must do it!  If I see any out and about, I'll make sure to take some close-up pics. Also just googled and there is a local Monaro club not far from me, so if you get stuck for reference, I'm happy to contact them to see if I can take some pics.  

I am finding as I get older I am appreciating the older Aussie muscle cars a lot more. I wouldn't mind doing an RC Charger or XB Falcon myself one day.

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, yogi-bear said:

if you can't find anything, I'm happy to give a crack at 3D printing something. Scaling is easy, and there is a bit of choice on places like thingiverse, there is this  adjustable figurine (but there would probably be a bit of cleanup and finishing work) or there are lots of statues, although designs seem to be heavily in favour of women or action figures!

I like the idea of an adjustable version as you could hook the arms up to a steering wheel and servo for a bit more realism.

Love the idea of a HQ Monaro as well, and now that you've said it you must do it!  If I see any out and about, I'll make sure to take some close-up pics. Also just googled and there is a local Monaro club not far from me, so if you get stuck for reference, I'm happy to contact them to see if I can take some pics.  

I am finding as I get older I am appreciating the older Aussie muscle cars a lot more. I wouldn't mind doing an RC Charger or XB Falcon myself one day.

 

Wow...that will be awesome ! I will still have a look around first...if I don't find anything suitable, I'll take you up on your offer!

 

Will need overhead shots like these in order to get the correct shape for the bonnet and front fender tops and cowl panel. Will also need the same fro the trunk lid and rear fender tops. Also to get the roof correct. I bought this Sandman Ute about 3 1/2 years ago to get the dimensions for the PanelVan....don't really wanna spend another $250+ to get the HQ ...lol!  

 
image_zpsyc029rit.jpeg
 
I will use this for the rear dimensions like width, bumper dimensions, rear windscreen etc
 
image_zpsq5srfifm.jpeg
 
Side profiles ..
 
image_zpseqnnqvea.jpeg
 
Same car.....but wrong nose panel......(already have this on my Sandman...lol) 
 
image_zpsg9r3rdx7.jpeg
 
I need a shot like this from the HQ.....
 
image_zpszqm0rckl.jpeg
 
 
 
This is what I'm shooting for.....minus the dents.....lol!
 
image_zpsd7mwkhns.jpeg
 
 
So I can use the rear and the side views of the yellow car but really need the other pics to start.... 
 
The Panelvan was my first scratch built body, and I had no clue really of how it would have eventually turn out, so at the time I was more concerned with building it to look correct and not much thought given to making a copy of each part I created...lol.  When I'm start with the HQ, I want to build it as modular as possible and make a master of each part as progress so it can replicated and maybe I can put together a kit of sorts for anyone who's interested....lol...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Trini2DBone said:

still looking for a driver...ideally, he should be in his mid fifties with a receding hairline and a potbelly...lol!  This car is gonna be his 'glory days'!  Lol!

 

So basically a Santa clas like figure?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Darat76 said:

So basically a Santa clas like figure?

Lol...kinda....but not too chubby...!  More like a Fosters and barbie kinda guy! Lol....! 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Trini2DBone said:

Lol...kinda....but not too chubby...!  More like a Fosters and barbie kinda guy! Lol....! 

ahh, so a stereotypical aussie...

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now